Tyler Myers 2013-2014

LGR4GM

I can understand how being traded can be good for someones developement. Maybe its a player with confidence issues(mainly just young) and they feel beaten down by expectations, fan hate and overall feelings of failure/like noone wants them there. Suddenly you get traded and, for some, that may register as "wow, this team went out of their way to aquire me." Suddenly, they feel accepted and are out to prove they were worth trading for. I can see that being a factor, though its not entirely the most professional way to reach one's potential

is it really that hard to figure?

Have you ever been fired? Did it inspire you to work harder? To prove that they were wrong and you were right?

Have you ever been recruited? To know that someone would rather just have you than pick you out of a group of potentials?

Why are we treating professional athletes like kids who's family's move because dad got a new job?

I'm not sure what you're referring to exactly, but you do realize "professional athletes" are human beings, right? And not all human beings carry their burdens the same way, agree? Why are there sports psychologists?

And it's not like Chara was cut, spent a year in some 2nd-rate European league because nobody wanted him, and had to bust his ass to even get another opportunity in the NHL.

So what? Is Chara Buddha?

WGRZ tweeting that Myers was getting fighting tips from McCormick

There's enough people on the team that need the same tips, maybe they should hold a class. Have Ray as a guest speaker, and bar Peters from the building.

So what? Is Chara Buddha?

Just saying I don't think getting traded is really the slap in the face and career motivator it's being played up as. Of course it can have an effect, but I think the motivational aspect of that effect is being significantly overstated. I mean, is there anything to suggest Chara wasn't working hard as an Islander? I think natural maturation and experience as a player, coupled with being in a much better organization, easily trump any psychological "push" he got from being traded.

I mean, is there anything to suggest Chara wasn't working hard as an Islander? I think natural maturation and experience as a player, coupled with being in a much better organization, easily trump any psychological "push" he got from being traded.

One can work hard, but accomplish nothing, because they're working hard at the wrong things. Maturation, experience, outside input, and psychology are not mutually exclusive. I submit all three of the former contribute to the latter, which then contributes back to the former three in a feedback loop.

I don't think anyone is saying Chara, or Myers, need(ed) to be shamed into a corner where they cry. But to deny that being traded is a significant event in a players life, even once, is ridiculous. All you have to do is read player's quotes on the matter. Why is trade-deadline day so tense for them?

Sometimes they go somewhere they like, sometimes they go somewhere they are loathe to go, in either case, there is no way any "normally" adjusted person can not be affected by that.

WGRZ tweeting that Myers was getting fighting tips from McCormick

based on what little i've heard about myers over the last few weeks, i am quietly hopeful that he will have a big bounce-back year.

that said, i had also looked forward to leino's having a strong showing in the strike-shortened season.

based on what little i've heard about myers over the last few weeks, i am quietly hopeful that he will have a big bounce-back year.

that said, i had also looked forward to leino's having a strong showing in the strike-shortened season.

Most of the roster, if they have any talent at all, as individuals and a group, are due for a "bounce-back season". A lot of people here, however, have suggested that the talent simply isn't there for a "bounce-back" of any significance.

FWIW, the few games he played when not injured he did have a strong showing. 6 points in 8 games isn't bad.

Yup, small sample size for sure but I will be watching Leino and a host of others this season.

As for the Impact of getting traded... I give you the Bernier Paradox, you get traded and the slap in the face has you work hard and so you succeed but then in short order your slump back into your usual self because by the age of 20 something you either have the mental will and ethic to become better or you don't.

I'm not sure what you're referring to exactly, but you do realize "professional athletes" are human beings, right? And not all human beings carry their burdens the same way, agree? Why are there sports psychologists?

If not all humans carry their burdens the same, then why are we trying to establish psychological connections between Chara and Myers, or one player to another? Seems kinda silly to me.

If not all humans carry their burdens the same, then why are we trying to establish psychological connections between Chara and Myers, or one player to another? Seems kinda silly to me.

I actually have pity on Myers.

There have been plenty of headcases on this team over the years....be it in front of or behind the 3 feet plywood. The more I see, the more confident I am that Myers is a physical issue. I've gone from 15-30% to 40-60%.

We love Ott....he's as F'd in the head as anyone.

Darcy tests perfectly baseline.....which is why making it to the Cup 1 time in 17 years is a 3 standard deviation stretch for him. He's due again in 2057.

Chara, Spezza, Jokinen, Luongo vs. Yashin, Kvasha, Parrish, DiPietro

Let the debate begin!

There's 24 years of buyout on the right side of that comparison! :w00t:

I wouldn't rate parrish amongs those others, except for being bought out, he wasn't expected to produce at the level of the ohter 3.

jokinen could have easily been on the right side as well, and i see him ending up there after this season.

I wouldn't rate parrish amongs those others, except for being bought out, he wasn't expected to produce at the level of the ohter 3.

jokinen could have easily been on the right side as well, and i see him ending up there after this season.

The point he was making that those players were the sum total of two bad Islander trades when Milbury ran them

You can look at a trade in 2 ways as a player

1. Your old team didn't want you for some reason and they got rid of you

- This can make you depressed and feel bad affecting your play, or

- This can make you mad and want to make you play harder on the new team to show the old team they made a mistake

2. Your new team thought high enough of you as a player that they delt assetts to another team to acquire you

- This can motivate you to play better because you know theres a team that believes in you

- This can give you the impression that you can continue to play as you had been because it was good enough for a team to want you

Getting traded multiple times over a season might make you feel more like #1 then #2. Throw in factors like the team your leaving and the team your going to might also effect how you would feel. Going from a cup contender to a bottom feeder might hurt more then the other way around. Also can depend on how you much you like your current team and the area. Even the other players coming back in the deal could also effect how you might feel.

Getting cut/waived/demoted would have a worse effect on someone mentally since its a team saying you weren't good enough for them and they couldn't get anything else for you

As for Chara, who knows how it effected him personally. Not being from the US or Canada, having to move to a different team might not be a huge problem because he hasn't had a "home" in the country for long.

• 1 month later...

Great Caesar's Ghost! Do the Bucs have any idea what they're getting themselves into with their switch at quarterback?!

mike+glennon.png

Someone needs to set Greg Schiano straight on this. But who?

Whoever contacts Schiano -- please tell him to stop bombing victory formations as well.

Great Caesar's Ghost! Do the Bucs have any idea what they're getting themselves into with their switch at quarterback?!

mike+glennon.png

Someone needs to set Greg Schiano straight on this. But who?

Whoever contacts Schiano -- please tell him to stop bombing victory formations as well.

I'm a huge Sabres fan and Bucs fan. Unfortunately, there have been some striking similarities between Myers and Freeman. Both had great rookie seasons and it appeared they would single handedly turn their franchises around. However, both players regressed during the next couple of seasons. In preseason there was talk of how sharp Freeman looked and this was going to be the year he turns things back around. I've heard similar observations for Myers. I have faith that Myers will do it but after going through the Freeman fiasco, I'm going to wait until I see it before I believe it.

Edit - Can you believe I cheer for the Sabres, Bucs, Bills and Blue Jays? Wow, I'm not even sure why I watch sports.

Archived