OT: 2014 Sochi Olympics: Pre-Tournament Talk

IKnowPhysics

When was the last time one was on?

All I'm saying is that the difference between the two games used to be markedly different. During the IIHF it did look like there was a lot of ice, but the NHL season was still going on so we were watching slower, less skilled players. In the Olympics, with a lot more NHLers playing, that ice is going to close up fast and it will more resemble the NHL. It used to be a lot different. I still like it, though.

The last time NHL-filled international rosters played on international ice was 2006. I think it's gonna be a blast.

Guess who is on the coaching staff again for the Canadian team?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=428178

I hope this doesn't prove out, but I have a cold fear in my bones that keeping Darcy while sending away Lindy (and probably Miller) will be a debacle on par with letting Drury and Briere leave.

Although I'm inclined to join you in worrying, I don't want to give myself the option of rethinking the past. Firing Lindy had to happen. But during Darcy probably should have too.

Right, the last one televised that anyone cared about was 8 years ago.

That's really the last time you saw international hockey? Between NBCSN, NHLN, CBSS and even ESPN2, there was quite a bit of ot on this year.

Or Quick, Howard and Anderson. The USA has some good goalies.

I want Miller's experience in the room even if he never sees the ice. Anderson caught lightning in a bottle last season but hasn't had a great career. Howard/Schneider, either way it doesn't really matter to me, but the fact that Schneider unseated Luongo in Vancouver tells me that he's pretty damned good.

That's really the last time you saw international hockey? Between NBCSN, NHLN, CBSS and even ESPN2, there was quite a bit of ot on this year.

I thought we were specifically talking about a full NHL-roster tournament on international ice. The last time that happened was 2006 Torino Olympics.

Yes.

Just curious but who should it be? I am not that familiar with USA coaches so am actually curious.

I see no reason to change from Wilson. Other than that, I think much more highly of Lavvy than I do of Bylsma.

I want Miller's experience in the room even if he never sees the ice. Anderson caught lightning in a bottle last season but hasn't had a great career. Howard/Schneider, either way it doesn't really matter to me, but the fact that Schneider unseated Luongo in Vancouver tells me that he's pretty damned good.

Neither really unseated the other in Vancouver. Its why teh Canucks were willing to deal Schneider and stay with Luongo. If Schnieder was really that much better, they could have bought Luongo out and kept Schneider as the #1. I really don't think he is as great as the Canucks thought he was, he has shown some flashes he could be good though. I wouldn't call howard all that great either

Fair enough, but in 2010 Miller, Quick, nor Thomas had any Olympic experience, so I don't think experience is a big deal. Plus how much experience on the big ice do any of them have.

I think Anderson is legit, not a flash in the pan.

Fair enough, but in 2010 Miller, Quick, nor Thomas had any Olympic experience, so I don't think experience is a big deal. Plus how much experience on the big ice do any of them have.

I expect to see Enroth supplant Lundquvist since Jhonas has played on Olympic ice more recently.

Or Quick, Howard and Anderson. The USA has some good goalies.

I'm not sold on Anderson yet.

I'd rather have Schneider as the 3rd over Howard.

And I'd go w/ Miller as the primary backup right now.

It'll be interesting to see if that's still what I'd go with when they have to finalize the roster. (And even more interesting to see who they actually do go with. :P)

Archived