OT: 2014 Sochi Olympics: Pre-Tournament Talk

IKnowPhysics

Is Myers an American or Canadian? I know he was born here but I wasn't sure which path he took.

I ask because he should take a long look at the American list or Canadien list and ask himself the question, "Why am I not on there?"

Hard work Myers, hard. ######. work.

Lots of upstate NYers on that camp roster.

###### yes. Brown, Kane, Howard, Bogosian, Callahan, Palmieri (Long Island) all from NYS.

Breakdown:

NYS: 6

Wisconsin:5

Minnesota: 14

Michigan: 7

Mass/Conn: 5

Other: 9

Also, USA is poised to have the best goaltending trio in the tournament.

Noticed that last night when I put together the opener. Definitely agreed. Lundqvist could pose problems, so could Lu if he gets hot this season.

Is Myers an American or Canadian? I know he was born here but I wasn't sure which path he took.

Myers is an American-born dual citizen and chose to represent Team Canada starting in the IIHF World Juniors in 2008 and more recently in the IIHF Men's World Championship in 2008. (Sort of opposite of Pominville) Once you do that, as I understand it, you're set for life.

They could very well have some of the Centers play wing and Pommer could still make the US team if he's playing well this upcoming season.

I believe that once you play for one team, you're no longer eligible for other nations. Pommers chose to play for the USA. Myers, born in Texas, chose to play for Canada in World Juniors. So, I think they're locked in for life.

I like the USA forward group. They have quite a few younger players, which I don't see as a bad thing. Plus, I think they'll end up with a nice mix of power forward types (Backes, Dustin Brown, etc.) and pure scorers (Kane, Kessel, etc.).

Yeah, 2010 was similar. Definitely a hard work, high energy, grind it out resiliency to them with the icing of some great finishers. Great contrast to the extremely high firepower of Team Canada and the finesse of Sweden, Finland. I'm hoping the return to Olympic size ice doesn't bite us in the ass- we looked pretty damn good on NHL sheets last time.

Team Russia camp announced. Grigorenko not tapped: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=428183

Goalkeepers: Sergei Bobrovsky, Semyon Varlamov, Vasily Koshechkin, Evgeni Nabokov, Konstantin Barulin.

Defenders: Evgeny Biryukov, Vyacheslav Voinov, Anton Volchenkov, Sergei Gonchar, Denis Denisov, Alexei Emelin, Andrei Markov, Evgeny Medvedev, Nikita Nikitin, Ilya Nikulin, Eugene Ryasensky, Fedor Tyutin.

Forwards: Artem Anisimov, Michael Varnakov, Pavel Datsyuk, Ilya Kovalchuk, Denis Kokarev, Evgeny Kuznetsov, Nikolai Kulemin, Evgeni Malkin, Alex Ovechkin, Alexander Perezhogin, Alexander Popov, Alexander Radulov, Alexander Semin, Vladimir Tarasenko, Alexei Tereshchenko, Viktor Tikhonov, Vadim Shipachev, Nail Yakupov.

Team Russia camp announced Grigorenko not tapped: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=428183

Goalkeepers: Sergei Bobrovsky, Semyon Varlamov, Vasily Koshechkin, Evgeni Nabokov, Konstantin Barulin.

Defenders: Evgeny Biryukov, Vyacheslav Voinov, Anton Volchenkov, Sergei Gonchar, Denis Denisov, Alexei Emelin, Andrei Markov, Evgeny Medvedev, Nikita Nikitin, Ilya Nikulin, Eugene Ryasensky, Fedor Tyutin.

Forwards: Artem Anisimov, Michael Varnakov, Pavel Datsyuk, Ilya Kovalchuk, Denis Kokarev, Evgeny Kuznetsov, Nikolai Kulemin, Evgeni Malkin, Alex Ovechkin, Alexander Perezhogin, Alexander Popov, Alexander Radulov, Alexander Semin, Vladimir Tarasenko, Alexei Tereshchenko, Viktor Tikhonov, Vadim Shipachev, Nail Yakupov.

If he has a strong season, he could still be added. Maybe some extra motivation for the kid to be let off the training camp roster. Patrice Bergeron wasn't on the camp roster in 2010, and made it to Vancouver.

Could be a really young US team. Doubt they go that way, but ya never know.

I think they're pretty much just sending the message of "hey kid, we have our eye on you for 2018" to a lot of these kids.

One thing I'm sure about for these Olympics though is that I am very much looking forward to the return of international ice.

I think they're pretty much just sending the message of "hey kid, we have our eye on you for 2018" to a lot of these kids.

One thing I'm sure about for these Olympics though is that I am very much looking forward to the return of international ice.

It's such a tease. If some billionaire really wanted to do something for the sport. He'd pay for the renovations to add the extra ice in the NHL. Fewer Concussions, more skating and passing, it's just a better game on the big sheet.

It's such a tease. If some billionaire really wanted to do something for the sport. He'd pay for the renovations to add the extra ice in the NHL. Fewer Concussions, more skating and passing, it's just a better game on the big sheet.

That's a hell of a lot of renovating. Someone get Bill Gates in here! (please don't follow up with the youtube clip LGR)

That's a hell of a lot of renovating. Someone get Bill Gates in here! (please don't follow up with the youtube clip LGR)

lol I don't have one... unless!

lol jk. But as nice as I think it would be to see NHL ice changed to International ice, I think the owners would never allow the removal of both seats from the arena and money from their checkbooks.

I used to like the striking difference between the NHL and the international game. I just don't see that big a difference anymore since they removed the two line pass. Other than the parking lots behind the nets it's pretty much the same game.

I used to like the striking difference between the NHL and the international game. I just don't see that big a difference anymore since they removed the two line pass. Other than the parking lots behind the nets it's pretty much the same game.

When was the last time you watched an international game?

... But as nice as I think it would be to see NHL ice changed to International ice, I think the owners would never allow the removal of both seats from the arena and money from their checkbooks.

It would be cool to allow new arenas to be built with the International ice. Let the arenas vary like ball parks do. With teams built differently depending on where they play most.

When was the last time you watched an international game?

When was the last time one was on?

All I'm saying is that the difference between the two games used to be markedly different. During the IIHF it did look like there was a lot of ice, but the NHL season was still going on so we were watching slower, less skilled players. In the Olympics, with a lot more NHLers playing, that ice is going to close up fast and it will more resemble the NHL. It used to be a lot different. I still like it, though.

Lundqvist is average and it's time that Sweden gives Enroth the starts.

I'm sure you can also find one game where Enroths stats were better then Lundqvists stats too that will prove he is the better choice.

Enroth did singlehandidly carry his country to a win in a tournament played this spring while Lundqvist was wasting his time playing for the Rangers in the NHL playoffs

Archived