The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

Planning on running another 5k? If so, you use the hard day/easy day training. For example you could do 8 400's (quarter mile) w/ a 2 minute break between each. This is a hard day workout. To "recover" from the hard day, put in a long, easy paced run. Just enough to get your heart rate to 120 or so for the entire run. Easy days are just as important as hard days.

Benefits from these workouts aren't really noticeable for about 2 weeks. Can't see instant results.

Also, be sure to mix things up. Don't always use quarter mile intervals.

Running (long distance races) is a great sport.

I try to run an actual 5k every month or two during the warmer months. I'll try the quarter mile intervals tomorrow at the gym and see how it goes. 

Yes many times. I live in buckhead so it's the only place to ride. Sadly a friend of mine who is also my primary care physician was killed in a bicycle accident this week

Damn dude, sorry to hear that.

I've been thinking about heading out of town to a good trail and that looked intriguing. Although, not sure how to complete a large trail with no way to stay the night in between.

Another night, another 40 miles.  My Wednesday night group has split into two different rides- a casual pace and a fast ride.  I went for the fast ride tonight.  Set a few personal bests on Strava.

Gathering before the ride

12983986_970373153011575_745359302550174

The speed clique (these three are seriously fast)

12961206_970373143011576_602865470027505

My bike at one of the regroup breaks

12961363_970373186344905_197218486003906

Arriving at the falls (it was too dark to actually take a pic of the falls)

12973435_970373189678238_788442057513966

Edited by Robin Egg

I try to run an actual 5k every month or two during the warmer months. I'll try the quarter mile intervals tomorrow at the gym and see how it goes.

Are you trying to set a new pr (personal record)? I have a few training tips that can help achieve that.

Thanks for the pics. I'm using 5 different tracking apps (to see which ones I like best) as well as a Bryton to track all my trips. I like Strava for the segments that you mentioned, it helps with routine routes to monitor improvements.

I didn't think that would be a big deal to me when I started using it, but it is kind of cool.  I don't actively seek out segments but when I have a good ride it's neat to see how I did relative to past rides.

Damn dude, sorry to hear that.

I've been thinking about heading out of town to a good trail and that looked intriguing. Although, not sure how to complete a large trail with no way to stay the night in between.

I need to clarify.  I haven't ridden the entire trail, but I've ridden about 15 miles out and another 15 miles back on the trail.  I am by no means a hard core biker.

I managed to do front splits on both sides this week for the first time in my life. I've been believing I'd never regain flexibility past 25. 

And hey, the weather's looking beautiful this weekend- really hoping to get out and run a bit or hike or something. I'm about 80-85% healed... one more month till I try skating I think. 

Are you trying to set a new pr (personal record)? I have a few training tips that can help achieve that.

It wasn't necessarily a goal, but my last run was encouraging enough that I may gun for a 7 minute mile. So, yes, I'm all ears.

I managed to do front splits on both sides this week for the first time in my life. I've been believing I'd never regain flexibility past 25. 

And hey, the weather's looking beautiful this weekend- really hoping to get out and run a bit or hike or something. I'm about 80-85% healed... one more month till I try skating I think. 

I think I tore a groin just reading this.

Definitely a 7:00 per mile pace over the course of a 5k.

So you should be in the 6 minute +/- range for a mile run. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried the interval 5K and it actually slowed me down a bit. 

Edited by JJFIVEOH

So you should be in the 6 minute +/- range for a mile run.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried the interval 5K and it actually slowed me down a bit.

I can probably do a 6 minute mile...but not for 3.1 of them consecutively :lol:

As for the interval, it all depends what you normally run at and where you set the intervals. You're obviously a faster runner than me, so if you used my intervals that'd slow you down.

Planning on running another 5k? If so, you use the hard day/easy day training. For example you could do 8 400's (quarter mile) w/ a 2 minute break between each. This is a hard day workout. To "recover" from the hard day, put in a long, easy paced run. Just enough to get your heart rate to 120 or so for the entire run. Easy days are just as important as hard days.

Benefits from these workouts aren't really noticeable for about 2 weeks. Can't see instant results.

Also, be sure to mix things up. Don't always use quarter mile intervals.

Running (long distance races) is a great sport.

I did this today, and holy hell are those last couple 400s brutal. I currently feel like death, in a good way.

I can probably do a 6 minute mile...but not for 3.1 of them consecutively :lol:

As for the interval, it all depends what you normally run at and where you set the intervals. You're obviously a faster runner than me, so if you used my intervals that'd slow you down.

I did this today, and holy hell are those last couple 400s brutal. I currently feel like death, in a good way.

Ah OK, gotcha. I got confused when you said you were aiming for a 7:00 mile since you said you recently set a personal best of 7:24 pace in a 5k. I figured if you can do a 5k @ a 7.24 pace, a 7:00 mile should be easy for you(not a 7:00 pace). 

I either run a steady 5k, or do a series of several 1/4 mile sprints. I've never really timed myself with a 5k interval like you do. Even though it slowed me down, it seemed like a more intense workout. I think you're faster than I am in the 5k, I'm in the low 25 minute range right now. 

I need to clarify.  I haven't ridden the entire trail, but I've ridden about 15 miles out and another 15 miles back on the trail.  I am by no means a hard core biker.

That's cool, I was just throwing the trail thing out there to see what others have done..... hard core or not. I'm far from hard core, just a recreational rider. Still would like to try a mini vacation centered around a long trail ride. Preferably within 8-10 hours from here. 

It wasn't necessarily a goal, but my last run was encouraging enough that I may gun for a 7 minute mile. So, yes, I'm all ears.

The interval distance needed for your body to learn the race pace is 800 meters (1/2 mile). Complete 4 to 6 intervals. Depends on the shape you're in. To get the 7:00 minute mile pace you want in a race you need to hit each 800 meter interval in 3:30. Take a 2 minute rest between each. Something I strongly recommend. Don't stop running between each interval. Do a VERY SLOW jog between each. This actually makes the workout easier. Helps keep the lactic acid from building and muscles tightening up.

Went on a solid hike last Sunday near Boulder.  We took Shadow Canyon up to Bear Mountain and South Boulder Peak, which was about 7.5 miles round trip and almost 3000 ft in elevation.  Tiring, but totally worth it.

post-1683-0-41911600-1460755268_thumb.jpg

post-1683-0-98233900-1460755270_thumb.jpg

post-1683-0-79081600-1460755274_thumb.jpg

Went on a solid hike last Sunday near Boulder.  We took Shadow Canyon up to Bear Mountain and South Boulder Peak, which was about 7.5 miles round trip and almost 3000 ft in elevation.  Tiring, but totally worth it.

That's beautiful.

-----

I am channelling my inner Charles Emerson Winchester III ... *first of all I don't sweat, I perspire.  And, second of all, I don't perspire*.

That's beautiful.

-----

I am channelling my inner Charles Emerson Winchester III ... *first of all I don't sweat, I perspire.  And, second of all, I don't perspire*.

If I might indulge myself in casual conversation in an exercise thread... at the Anchor Bar they have celebrity photos on the wall. The celebrity by my table the other day was Oliver Clark. He's an actor from Buffalo who appeared in two episodes of M*A*S*H. He was the surgeon at sea who rushed to the 4077 when Hawkeye sent word that he needed help — with a crossword puzzle. Then, he showed up to retrieve his mail, playing the character Benjamin Pierce, when Hawkeye was mistakenly getting his mail. Given all the love letters he received from various women, Hawk thought this guy would be an Adonis, but he was Just a Guy, and a very boring guy at that. Hawkeye asked him how he got so many girls, and Benjamin replied, "I'm a very funny guy."

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.