The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

A couple of times a week on top of my gym routine, I'll bike a 4 lap bonzai run around the neighborhood that ends up being just over 9 miles. I've been pushing the 5k's more lately, and spending additional time on lower body at the gym. Out of nowhere I set my personal best by over 1 minute @ 31:45. The middle two laps were my 1st and 2nd best ever. 

I won't hesitate to have tasty/sinful dinners and desserts without regret. I'm no trainer, nor am I a nutritionist. Usually after dinner you sit around, watch TV, digest...... and eventually go to bed with a stomach full of fatty foods. My logic is, if you exercise right before bed it'll shock your metabolism into gear and digest some of those foods. It worked for me last year when I started running.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/8735042

Sorry, no pics.  :P

Edited by JJFIVEOH

1461349576647222500433_zpsp8mfphi4.jpg

20160425_163419_zpsasbklbjx.jpg

The top one is the Susquehanna River. The bottom one is the river flood control lands.

Can any of you smart guys and girls explain to me what that rust looking stuff is? Is it just rust from the flood controls?

Iron bacteria? I just looked it up to try and understand the orange slime you see in stagnant water sometimes. In my neck of the woods it's always explained as pollution from oil and gas drilling, because an oily sheen accompanies it. But it's actually a bacteria that feeds on iron and "poops" rust. bio, throw off those glasses and jump me! I'm yours!

Iron bacteria? I just looked it up to try and understand the orange slime you see in stagnant water sometimes. In my neck of the woods it's always explained as pollution from oil and gas drilling, because an oily sheen accompanies it. But it's actually a bacteria that feeds on iron and "poops" rust. bio, throw off those glasses and jump me! I'm yours!

LOL

...speaking of which, I had an active day.  First I did the breakfast ride with bonus miles afterwards for a total of almost 53 miles (that's me in the foreground)...

13091990_979720745410149_735081074950423

...and then tonight I went to an open house at a new brewery that is just opening.  I know the owners pretty well.  Rode there and back, another 20 miles, for a total of 73 today.

QOS3EQJzTJK4NN8X-WTWYQp6nVv8MYxLhuKBq28W

and...... I'm pooped!  :cry:

Going on a May Day cruise around the Peggy's Cove route (look it up, it's awesome) on a beautiful afternoon in our classic 1992 Acura Legend ... pics to follow, hopefully.

Oh yeah, no sweat.

We went through there on our honeymoon 30+ years ago.

This could go in the Rod and gun club thread, but its break a sweat worthy too....

Spent my Saturday morning in the Niagara River gorge.  Hiked down into Devil's Hole and fished a bit.  Water is up to its Summer time levels so navigating the shoreline gets tricky.  Lots of big rocks to navigate if you don't want to wade in the river (which isn't advisable in most spots).   Its about 300 ft down to the river from the gorge rim.  Those large rocks you see on the Canadian shoreline are representative of what you need to climb around on to get around on the shoreline.  There are times that I am reminded of my own mortality while I am down there.

IMG_0034_zpsdvinswxt.jpg

IMG_0032_zpsbc0sxo4g.jpg

Headed north into Lewiston after some time at Devil's Hole and fished down in the gorge in ArtPark as well. the gorge isn't quite as deep there, maybe 200 ft.  And the trail is more gradually sloped.  But the challenges along the shoreline are pretty similar to Devil's Hole.

IMG_0036_zpst6qszemu.jpg

IMG_0038_zps4mxbfusf.jpg

IMG_0040_zpshmfd3ucf.jpg

IMG_0041_zpscxvpkrtu.jpg

The steelhead were finicky for me yesterday, but silver bass are starting to move into the river now, and they are usually willing to take a lure.

IMG_0035_zpsb9lgnfli.jpg

What you don't get out of these images is the sense of just how powerful the lower Niagara River is.  Whirlpools, and huge uprisings of water in the river.  Very, very turbulent.  Very, very powerful.  And deep.  At the Lewiston/Queenston bridge the river is about 140' deep.  I'm not sure a PFD would save you there.  So much turbulence.

Edited by We've

We've,…

I hate you.

and I'm assuming that by "willing to take a lure" you mean "hit a lure like a ###### freight train".

Waters cold still, so the fish are a bit lethargic right now. 

and you have a standing invite to fish with me if ever you're in town......

Thanks, we've! Now I have to go get a fishing license and some gear! I haven't fished since I was probably 16. I used to go about 10 times a summer with my dad and brothers. Your pictures just gave me the urge to go again.

Thanks, we've! Now I have to go get a fishing license and some gear! I haven't fished since I was probably 16. I used to go about 10 times a summer with my dad and brothers. Your pictures just gave me the urge to go again.

Do eeet.

we've, have you fished the Allegheny Reservoir down here in PA? The state record for nothern pike and walleye both came out of that reservoir.

Have not.  You guys have some monster muskies in that reservoir too.

edit: It is hard for me to justify an out of state license purchase when there is so much world class fishing opportunities in western and central NY.

Edited by We've

I love how much you love your Acura Legend :)

It really is something.

A classic and was, clearly, loved by it's previous and only other owner.

A friends father, who recently passed away, bought it new and it was his baby.  You can clearly see it.  He was a gentleman and it sure is a gentleman's car.  A real touring sedan.  It got many looks as we drove around and many smiles, but none a big as our own smiles.

We love it and we think we have earned a bit of fun.

It really is something.

A classic and was, clearly, loved by it's previous and only other owner.

A friends father, who recently passed away, bought it new and it was his baby.  You can clearly see it.  He was a gentleman and it sure is a gentleman's car.  A real touring sedan.  It got many looks as we drove around and many smiles, but none a big as our own smiles.

We love it and we think we have earned a bit of fun.

:thumbsup: 

I'm reminded of a story recently about another Acura Legend: http://jalopnik.com/acura-restores-ludacris-1993-acura-legend-to-its-perfec-1740497887

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.