The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

Do people even sweat in Nova Scotia? B-)

It was about 15C at our house yesterday ... just about a 5 minute walk from the Bedford Basin.

Further out along the Atlantic coast where we went it was maybe, if we were lucky, 5C in a stiff off the water wind.

So, the answer to your question is ... no.

It was about 15C at our house yesterday ... just about a 5 minute walk from the Bedford Basin.

Further out along the Atlantic coast where we went it was maybe, if we were lucky, 5C in a stiff off the water wind.

So, the answer to your question is ... no.

I think the title of the thread needs to be changed then, it discriminates against our northern friends that can't sweat. :D

Wednesday, the Night Riders celebrated Cinco de Mayo a day early.  I rode my two-speed runabout.  The intent was a shortish ride, but I helped a couple of guys find the trail before going home myself, ended up with 30 miles.

That's me on the left.

PWZW_1nSyHaC94ZHOKDrgEllKrKoiauv-yMEghrw

...and the runabout, Frankenbiked from a 1983 Raleigh Marathon

t5CMQEhq15iJLlTC2axuvCmori8SQr2fjo7vgYjm

Then tonight I did a short 8 miles on my 50-year-old Raleigh DL-1 3-speed roadster (after walking a couple miles with my wife around the neighborhood).  I actually burned more calories walking than I did riding.

UsgVo5UiINvdrP3dbHV1--6o24n-ZiCc_4rzWoiY

The Club Fed Ride today.  Club Fed is a ride done by people who work in the Federal Building downtown, along with friends they invite along.  We ended up with seven people riding today, the most they've had in a while.  I ended up with 35.5 miles.  I'm in the yellow helmet, very pleased that I look skinnier in this pic than in my mind's eye.  I guess losing 35 pounds does tend to make someone look skinnier....

13173267_1227164180656916_61159062832364

I finally fixed the flat on my fixed gear bike.  It felt great to ride fixie again.

PCmYUsguvPTBFBFYKi3t7bP7ad1Ul_Ug4SLPC6re

First run of the year. Two miles without dying. I'll take it. Shouldn't take too long to get to 5k stamina.

You're a better man than I am.  I just can't run.

I had the pleasure of riding with my wife this morning, the first time she's been able to ride in over a year due to various ailments.  Only 7 miles on the trail, but it was great seeing her on two wheels again.

13115956_983510888364468_622650921596872

I'll be honest, the right shoes make all the difference. I got fitted at Fleet Feet a few weeks back and I could tell the difference. I didn't feel like I was fighting my shoes the whole time. Even when I was getting tired I felt like my shoes were carrying me forward. It was great.

I'll be honest, the right shoes make all the difference. I got fitted at Fleet Feet a few weeks back and I could tell the difference. I didn't feel like I was fighting my shoes the whole time. Even when I was getting tired I felt like my shoes were carrying me forward. It was great.

You should write for J. Peterman.

I ran 1.4-ish miles on a woodsy trail today, with one 90-second break. I suddenly feel like the 5K dream is alive again. Speaking of things making a difference, it makes a big difference when you're running someplace that is inspiring to you. This trail goes along a beautiful brook. Hearing the water, smelling the woods, it was great. It also goes up and down, so the variety of the terrain helped too.

You should write for J. Peterman.

I ran 1.4-ish miles on a woodsy trail today, with one 90-second break. I suddenly feel like the 5K dream is alive again. Speaking of things making a difference, it makes a big difference when you're running someplace that is inspiring to you. This trail goes along a beautiful brook. Hearing the water, smelling the woods, it was great. It also goes up and down, so the variety of the terrain helped too.

I'm lucky that I like my neighborhood as a place to run. There are two loops I can run, a 2 mile loop and a 3 mile loop. It's really convenient. There was a neighborhood yard sale going on today so there were people out everywhere. Saw a nice hot rod driving and have him a wave. I'll miss this place when we eventually leave.

I finally broke down and bought myself a pair of rollerskates. Went to a paved trail at a park to get some laps in and an old couple struck up a conversation with me in the most effective way possible. "Jack Eichel, isn't he amazing?" (I was wearing an Eichel t-shirt) We sat and chatted for 20 minutes about the playoffs and such.

Then when I got home I set up the net in my driveway and did some shooting. Street hockey is hard. I fell over several times when my ice skating instincts took over.

I finally broke down and bought myself a pair of rollerskates. Went to a paved trail at a park to get some laps in and an old couple struck up a conversation with me in the most effective way possible. "Jack Eichel, isn't he amazing?" (I was wearing an Eichel t-shirt) We sat and chatted for 20 minutes about the playoffs and such.

Then when I got home I set up the net in my driveway and did some shooting. Street hockey is hard. I fell over several times when my ice skating instincts took over.

Roller skates?

I tried those about 20 years ago.  If I'd have kept them, I'd be dead by now.

On a different subect:  A little perspective.... this picture....

Bridge over a massive train yard leading toward downtown Fort Worth

PEfsLOMuiLUsoFBzkbeD5zOvf1up7q0LDR6lWqSL

....was taken from the bridge in this picture.

13115956_983510888364468_622650921596872

Both pictures look in roughly the same direction.

Edited by Robin Egg

There isn't ice anywhere near me, so I started playing street hockey on blades in middle school. I'm addicted to it now, whenever I have 20 minutes I'm out flying around my driveway or the street or wherever, shooting pucks. I got a few of my friends into it too and we've had some epic games at local parks, where we almost look like actual hockey players.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.