The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

I had a good night on trapeze and I finished it with a run. My first run since everything go boom. I didn't quite finish it, had a little bit of soreness and didn't want to push my luck, but dammit, I refuse to not push my body to being in great shape. Sitting on my a$$ on the couch for a few months helpless has made me resolute on that fact. I will be strong, I will be fit, while my muscles and stamina give me the chance. So I can see just what it could do in its youth. 

It felt so good though, even if it was raining. 

Made a nice little 40 mile cruise up and down A1A today, from Boca up to Briny Breezes, down to Deerfield Beach and back to Boca. With a stop through downtown Delray Beach in between. Didn't get many good pics, but here's a few. I took some of downtown Delray Beach but they didn't turn out very well. 

In the spirit of Neuvirth's Glove, had to get the bike in a shot. I told my finger to stop photobombing, but it didn't listen.  ;)

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/8625131

plDIsLg.jpg

This is the same road, it's Old Ocean Blvd in Briny Breezes. One of the very few stretches of road along the beach (the ocean is right on the other side of those bushes). I think that section of beach pretty much prohibits any kind of vehicular traffic. The main strip of A1A is to the west a few hundred feet. 

7miKJeG.jpg

There it is. Mmmm, sea grapes............

bv1RCa9.jpg

This stretch of A1A in Gulf Stream is lined with Australian Pines. It's a well known 2 mile stretch for the simple fact it's not completely lined with palm trees like every other square inch of South Florida. It's an invasive species that the state wanted to come through and tear out because it pretty much destroys anything in its way. It got ugly but Gulf Stream ended up winning and kept the trees. Australian Pines are illegal to sell, Floridians started planting them over 100 years ago as a windbreaker along canals. 

QemXfFP.jpg

Edited by JJFIVEOH

The Boca Inlet, go under that drawbridge and you'll be in Lake Boca Raton. Somewhere you'll find the Pegulas in their yacht. 

uB8CPXJ.jpg

And a couple of Deerfield Beach. Despite some of these pictures, there were a lot more people out today than it appears. Wasn't too bad though, downtown Delray Beach was pretty packed, as usual. 

1jJRScu.jpg

75k02zs.jpg

0szlzCi.jpg

Edited by JJFIVEOH

I bought my new bike today. GT.

Took it for a spin along the susquehanna river for about 10 miles. Verdict: the bike is dope! And I'm out of shape! My legs are a mixture of jello and spaghetti. Standing for 8 hours at work tonight should be fun.

Going for another river ride tomorrow afternoon with my boy. He makes me feel good, because I'm still faster than he is! But he's only 11. I'm sure he'll catch up to me soon.

What are they fishing for there? Seems to be attracting alot of attention.

Not really sure. It's a park right on the water so it brings in a lot of people to fish from the wall. Not sure why all the boaters are there. Probably just last ditch efforts before heading to dock.

I bought my new bike today. GT.

Took it for a spin along the susquehanna river for about 10 miles. Verdict: the bike is dope! And I'm ###### out of shape! My legs are a mixture of jello and spaghetti. Standing for 8 hours at work tonight should be fun.

Going for another river ride tomorrow afternoon with my boy. He makes me feel good, because I'm still faster than he is! But he's only 11. I'm sure he'll catch up to me soon.

No pics?

No streams or ocean shots, just some Jersey style.

post-1429-0-40395800-1461376803_thumb.jpg

Yes, that's an old man seat on a mountain (hybrid) bike. I'll never understand those guys in bike clubs that think you're not a real cyclist unless you've had to have a nut removed. I'm not in a race and I'm doing it for exercise. What's a little extra weight?

No streams or ocean shots, just some Jersey style.

attachicon.gifRt4 bike.jpg

Yes, that's an old man seat on a mountain (hybrid) bike. I'll never understand those guys in bike clubs that think you're not a real cyclist unless you've had to have a nut removed. I'm not in a race and I'm doing it for exercise. What's a little extra weight?

Finding the right seat is such a pain in the ass (LITERALLY). Weight is overrated on bikes, these guys that nitpick about grams just like to compare numbers. I find it hard to believe it makes a difference unless you're a professional racer. 

I'm a BIG fan of Brooks leather saddles (as in, all of my bikes have them).  If you have a seat you're happy with, great.  But if you have problems, try a Brooks.

My riding has slowed down a bit lately while life gets in the way, but I got in a 38 miler Friday and a 29 miler tonight. 

I'm down to 209 lb. (from 243 on Jan. 1) and I'm starting to get a real sense of increased power-to-weight ration on the bike.  People I could never keep up with are now becoming my goal- I can hang with them for a while and in some cases even pass a few I used to see as impossibly fast.  And I don't feel like I'm about to have a heart attack when I push hard- I finally feel like I'm getting enough air in my lungs to sustain higher levels of exertion for longer periods of time.

I finally bought a new belt tonight.  My old belt was on the loosest notch at Christmas time and now it's on the tightest notch.  Another 10-20 pounds to lose and I'll be right where I want to be.

Edited by Robin Egg

My riding has slowed down a bit lately while life gets in the way, but I got in a 38 miler Friday and a 29 miler tonight. 

I'm down to 209 lb. (from 243 on Jan. 1)

I finally bought a new belt tonight.  My old belt was on the loosest notch at Christmas time and now it's on the tightest notch.  Another 10-20 pounds to lose and I'll be right where I want to be.

Robin you need to move to Margaritaville because you are wasting away :worthy: :worthy:

I hit a snag about a month ago because I hit a spot where I wasn't losing anymore. After reading one of your earlier posts about watching your calorie intake and that wall went down with a bang. Found out where my problem was and I've now pretty much matched your size almost pound for pound. Also hit my goal of running/power walking for the month with over 109 miles so far. I haven't done that since I was training for the mountain hikes/camping I used to take every year with my son.

Good luck to you.

Robin you need to move to Margaritaville because you are wasting away :worthy: :worthy:

I hit a snag about a month ago because I hit a spot where I wasn't losing anymore. After reading one of your earlier posts about watching your calorie intake and that wall went down with a bang. Found out where my problem was and I've now pretty much matched your size almost pound for pound. Also hit my goal of running/power walking for the month with over 109 miles so far. I haven't done that since I was training for the mountain hikes/camping I used to take every year with my son.

Good luck to you.

Fantastic on the running/walking!  Way to go.

7.6 mile trail ride in the rain. I'm covered in mud and I can't feel my legs. This is either awesome or its some sort of medieval torture.

One of these days I'll post some pictures.

Cuz after all, pics or it didn't happen!

Two modes of exercise for me today.  I did 1.3 miles walking the dogs.

13087687_977657005616523_717281150801679

and 12 miles on the bike. 

TmotyYALR3TFAWdbJZTZRRi-HePO6jcErTfSiX94

MqqZ7mKmi_jI-ECAM0PK1gU43k_-koY8VP13rYdL

I didn't want to get caught in this:

13043633_1142652569088937_16683568685128

Trapeze this week! Moving up into the next level soon. I think I may actually like it more than hoop. But that may be because I'm at that level where hoop is really starting to get difficult/painful. Trapeze definitely hurts more- the ropes really cut into you on a lot of different moves, and you need a lot more strength to do anything. And man, you cannot have a fear of heights with this one... one slip and you can fall pretty easily.

nHNY2Tv.jpg

1461349576647222500433_zpsp8mfphi4.jpg

20160425_163419_zpsasbklbjx.jpg

The top one is the Susquehanna River. The bottom one is the river flood control lands.

Can any of you smart guys and girls explain to me what that rust looking stuff is? Is it just rust from the flood controls?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.