The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

I'd been thinking about getting a bike for several months now (it's practically a requirement in CO, haha), but my last bike had streamers, and my last attempt at riding the bf's mountain bike proved the adage about muscle memory isn't entirely true. But a couple weeks ago I found a great deal on a Thule bike rack, and today I picked out a Trek 820 bike. Don't have it on hand yet since I put it on layaway and plan to ask family to chip in towards it rather than buying other b-day presents, and I was still wobbly and unconfident testing it out in the store, but dammit, I'm gonna re-learn. You're an inspiration, Egg.

Edited by biodork

For whatever reason your wife hasn't been able to ride, that's great that she's finally able to get out.

It basically stems from her fibromyalgia, and several offshoots of it.  She's had several joint problems the last year and a half.  They seem to be behind her now.  She was up to about 25 miles on a ride and while she's always been slow, she was pretty strong.  Now she's back at Square One.  She did enjoy the ride yesterday though.

I'll be honest, the right shoes make all the difference. I got fitted at Fleet Feet a few weeks back and I could tell the difference. I didn't feel like I was fighting my shoes the whole time. Even when I was getting tired I felt like my shoes were carrying me forward. It was great.

I go to Runners' Roost, but same idea. Running sneaker prices can be kind of daunting, so I try to shop at the end of the year when all the 2015 models get discounted to make room for the 2016s. Got a pair of $125 Brooks Adrenaline for only $75.

Same here, got the older Brooks Pure Flow when the new ones came out. Much lighter, comfortable and softer than the Asics Cumulus 16. It's too bad the new Pure Flows are hideous, probably going to have to get something different when these wear out. 

I went all out today. Headed down to downtown Miami, ended up making my way back over to Miami Beach (especially South Beach) and covered it end to end. Headed back over downtown and wanted to cruise south into the city for a bit. I considered going to Key Biscayne since the way to get to Rickenbacker Causeway was by heading south out of downtown. Since I was over 40 miles, I told myself I'd decide once I got there......... so ###### it, I went to Key Biscayne too. Came back, cruise through downtown some more over at Mary Brickell Village. Locked the bike up on the truck and went to have dinner at Bayside. All totaled, 62 miles. While I dig the workout, it might be time to get some less aggressive tires for this mountain bike since I'm using it more for city/road/gravel. If anybody ever comes down here on vacation, seeing Miami is an absolute 'must do'. The diversity, the food, the people........... it's an incredible city. I don't know why, maybe it's the diversity, but Miami has the most beautiful people I have ever seen for a city.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/8905215

Here is Miami from the northeast.

ebRDeQch.jpg

This is looking south from the McArthur Causeway, straight ahead is Fisher Island. There are no roads to Fisher Island, anybody ever see The Birdcage?

jznjXXuh.jpg

The southernmost tip of South Beach, South Pointe Park.

d7gyeT9h.jpg

And the word famous South Beach.

HmPuJbGh.jpg

8Dl0woDh.jpg

Another of South Beach.

gZNHgnTh.jpg

The Key Biscayne Lighthouse, or the Cape Florida Light.

AN3ViQwh.jpg

A few of the remaining seven(?) houses of Stiltsville. These are now protected by the National Parks Service but I think they no longer serve any purpose.

vFBjvPJh.jpg

And these are right downtown on the mouth of the Miami River.

aKSpNtYh.jpg

qxinYALh.jpg

All totaled, 62 miles. While I dig the workout, it might be time to get some less aggressive tires for this mountain bike since I'm using it more for city/road/gravel.

62 miles? Wow, kick ass. That's a metric century.

I agree on the tires (and I maybe mentioned it upthread). If you're doing the kind of urban miles you've been posting about, you want something more like a slick.

I had a grand total of 1 (that's right, 1) mile of riding tonight. I wrenched on the bike while it was raining, and when I got ready to check it out I found the rain had stopped and it was pretty dry outside.

:lol: I've been foam rolling my shins and thighs since Saturday.

What is this foam rolling you speak of?

I am up to almost 1.5 miles out of the gate without stopping, and the breaks after that are getting shorter and less numerous. It's pretty amazing how quickly you improve when you commit to it. I've been running every other day. I'm hopeful that I can be doing a 5K distance without stopping by June 1. Then I just have to finish one when the bib is on. No more Ryan MIller 5Ks!

What is this foam rolling you speak of?

I am up to almost 1.5 miles out of the gate without stopping, and the breaks after that are getting shorter and less numerous. It's pretty amazing how quickly you improve when you commit to it. I've been running every other day. I'm hopeful that I can be doing a 5K distance without stopping by June 1. Then I just have to finish one when the bib is on. No more Ryan MIller 5Ks!

:lol: at the last part.

Foam rolling is exactly what you think it is. Using a foam cylinder to massage muscles after things like running in order to help recovery.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/the-running-blog/2014/feb/28/foam-roller-runners-guide-muscles

Still got the Ride Every Day in May thing going, but yesterday was a "just barely" scenario.  I spent all night wrenching on one of the bikes and my ride consisted of just riding around the neighborhood to check it out..... for 1 mile.

Today was better.  There was a Mayor's Ride, a rolling town hall where you can ride around with the mayor with (in this case) about 20 riders.  The rolling town hall was about 7.5 miles, but I added some bonus miles to get to 25 on my fixed gear bike.

That's Ft Worth Mayor Betsy Price in the center of the picture

13178684_985963721452518_381214514942606

...and up on the bike

13178752_985963764785847_124449655495637

13177771_985963638119193_802450640156581

13226984_985963598119197_875894079884736

13174003_985963541452536_542139489778705

62 miles? Wow, kick ass. That's a metric century.

I agree on the tires (and I maybe mentioned it upthread). If you're doing the kind of urban miles you've been posting about, you want something more like a slick.

I had a grand total of 1 (that's right, 1) mile of riding tonight. I wrenched on the bike while it was raining, and when I got ready to check it out I found the rain had stopped and it was pretty dry outside.

You're right, you mentioned it somewhere. It's still a mountain bike so probably not going to go full slick. Maybe a semi-slick or another mountain bike tire with a tighter pattern. Still want to try and hit the trails. Might even go with a nice middle ground with a good trekking tire like this, good for gravel and fast. That just means I'll have to put the trails off for a while. 

http://www.continental-tires.com/bicycle/tyres/city-trekking-tyres/cruise-contact

At least you got a ride in to keep that string alive. 

Just saw your pics........................ did the mayor OK the new bike lanes you hit her up for?  :P

Great pics, JJ!

And holy moly, that's a lot of time in the saddle.

Thanks. Believe it or not, once you get going and put the distance out of your mind, it's not that bad. It was the 6 hours of sun and no clouds. Not looking forward to our brutal summers, but at least it gets cloudy sometimes. 

One thing we do have that you don't................................... air.  :P

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Thanks. Believe it or not, once you get going and put the distance out of your mind, it's not that bad. It was the 6 hours of sun and no clouds. Not looking forward to our brutal summers, but at least it gets cloudy sometimes.

One thing we do have that you don't................................... air. :P

:lol:

I think I'm going to sign up for an adult bike riding lesson next month. I've clearly forgotten what I learned so long ago since I'm about as graceful as a baby deer right now.

Edited by biodork

:lol:

I think I'm going to sign up for an adult bike riding lesson next month. I've clearly forghotten what I learned so long ago since I'm about as graceful as a baby deer right now.

Do it! You won't regret it. And like PA said, once you commit to it, it's amazing how much easier it is to make progress. 

Do it! You won't regret it. And like PA said, once you commit to it, it's amazing how much easier it is to make progress.

I hope so! It's embarrassing how unstable I am now, but I'm looking forward to doing it again.

I hope so! It's embarrassing how unstable I am now, but I'm looking forward to doing it again.

Ask around at local bike shops. Someone who works there might just take a few minutes with you in the parking lot and get you through the basics.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.