The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

Is it possible running slowly ("jogging") is harder (physically/mentally) than running a little faster? I've been experimenting with various paces. I swear I just can't jog. It must be more the mental torture ("my God, am I ever going to finish?") than anything else. A nine-minute mile seems easier to me than a 10-minute mile.

Edited by PASabreFan

Is it possible running slowly ("jogging") is harder (physically/mentally) than running a little faster? I've been experimenting with various paces. I swear I just can't jog. It must be more the mental torture ("my God, am I ever going to finish?") than anything else. A nine-minute mile seems easier to me than a 10-minute mile.

It's a real thing.

I'm thinking there's a range of pace (if that makes sense) where you feel about the same, so you might as well be running faster.

That does makes sense. If you're going for a casual jog and the treadmill is set slower than your comfortable pace you actually exert yourself more trying to slow down to keep up (if that makes sense). 

That does makes sense. If you're going for a casual jog and the treadmill is set slower than your comfortable pace you actually exert yourself more trying to slow down to keep up (if that makes sense). 

Maybe just take Forrest Gump's mom's advice?

Cool pics from everybody! Just got my new rack and trunk bag so I'm all set for some more long bike trips. Summer's here and that little seat bag just wasn't enough to get through 35+ miles. Maybe now I can get some more pics.

*like*

Another 37 miles today. Breakfast ride with some friends.

That's me in the center of the picture.

13012798_10209068194798875_8663228305959

That's awesome Bio.

Makes me wonder, though. Which do you think there are more of, mountains named Bear, or falls named Buttermilk?

I didn't realize Buttermilk was such a common name for falls, haha.

Another night, another ride.... for 33 miles.

Met a couple friends for a ride, we rode out to a neat dinner spot (with the most awesome banana pudding with bourbon). Me on the left, and Ted and Emily.

Banana pudding with bourbon! Go on...

It's delicious. They serve it in a mason jar. Bottom layer of pound cake cubes, then the pudding with some more pound cake mixed in, then a shot of bourbon, then whipped cream on top.

That sounds amazing... like a Kentucky take on tiramisu. Mmmm.

Hey Robin,

Are those sponsor ads all over your biking unis?

The red white and blue jersey is me.  There's an American flag on the arm, the name of the club, and a little logo for the club with the star.  On the back (not visible) are one or two ads from sponsors, one from a local bike shop, one from a local restaurant.  If they give us money for the club they get a logo on the jersey.

If you're talking about the guy in front with the black on top, I have no idea what's on his jersey or why.

The red white and blue jersey is me.  There's an American flag on the arm, the name of the club, and a little logo for the club with the star.  On the back (not visible) are one or two ads from sponsors, one from a local bike shop, one from a local restaurant.  If they give us money for the club they get a logo on the jersey.

If you're talking about the guy in front with the black on top, I have no idea what's on his jersey or why.

It looks like he's thinking dirty thoughts about the chick he's spying on through his rear view mirror. happy-smiley20.gif

Edited by JJFIVEOH

The first day of softball was today! I had a nice little day. Dinger and two line drive gappers. We split our double header and my legs feel pretty OK. This was my first baseball/softball game without chewing tobacco since I was 16. It was very strange. I felt like a little kid with my sunflower seeds, but I think I can stick it out with the seeds for the season.

;)

With all the crazy talk about sponsorships being sold on NBA jerseys I thought that maybe you sold out to the highest bidder.

I'm currently searching Craigslist for a new to me mountain bike. I've got one promising lead on a Marin that's more than a couple years old, but appears to be in good shape. Anyone have any place better for me to be looking?

I'm looking for a hardtail as I dislike full suspension. Actually I'd prefer an entirely rigid bike. The problem I'm running into is its been hard for me to find a bike that's from pre 1995 that isn't completely decrepit. Why does everything need shocks these days? And should I get over it and cave in to modern technology? I've never really given it a chance. It just feels too spongy to me, like my tires are flat.

The first day of softball was today! I had a nice little day. Dinger and two line drive gappers. We split our double header and my legs feel pretty OK. This was my first baseball/softball game without chewing tobacco since I was 16. It was very strange. I felt like a little kid with my sunflower seeds, but I think I can stick it out with the seeds for the season.

Stick it out and good job so far.

Addicted to Copenhagen for 22 years myself.

I hope at one point the smell of it will repulse you as it does me now. That day is a very good day and gets here quicker than you think.

I'm currently searching Craigslist for a new to me mountain bike. I've got one promising lead on a Marin that's more than a couple years old, but appears to be in good shape. Anyone have any place better for me to be looking?

I'm looking for a hardtail as I dislike full suspension. Actually I'd prefer an entirely rigid bike. The problem I'm running into is its been hard for me to find a bike that's from pre 1995 that isn't completely decrepit. Why does everything need shocks these days? And should I get over it and cave in to modern technology? I've never really given it a chance. It just feels too spongy to me, like my tires are flat.

I have 2 of them. A Giant and a Trek circa 1995 rigid frames.  The Giant I got for a great deal 20 years ago because the guy wanted to upgrade to a suspension bike.

I can tell you why I will never sell them. Because it's impossible to find nice used rigid mountain bikes. :P

The last time I was on Craigslist poking around for used bikes I found a guy wanting $300.00 for a rigid Trek 830 (or maybe 930?). I'm pretty sure that is what I paid for mine new. 

It's not just you that prefers rigid. The youngins are coming around to the *old school* stuff in these parts. 

I have 2 of them. A Giant and a Trek circa 1995 rigid frames.  The Giant I got for a great deal 20 years ago because the guy wanted to upgrade to a suspension bike.

I can tell you why I will never sell them. Because it's impossible to find nice used rigid mountain bikes. :P

The last time I was on Craigslist poking around for used bikes I found a guy wanting $300.00 for a rigid Trek 830 (or maybe 930?). I'm pretty sure that is what I paid for mine new. 

It's not just you that prefers rigid. The youngins are coming around to the *old school* stuff in these parts. 

I don't know how universal this stuff is, but...

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_174928_-1___204983

I have 2 of them. A Giant and a Trek circa 1995 rigid frames. The Giant I got for a great deal 20 years ago because the guy wanted to upgrade to a suspension bike.

There's just something about that 40 pound cromoly frame :p

Not that I wouldn't switch to something lighter.

There's just something about that 40 pound cromoly frame :P

Not that I wouldn't switch to something lighter.

Down hill yes! 

Up hill :angel:

They are a bit heavy, but I think it's safe to say the frame alone is not the culprit. The crank arm, handle bars and seat post would be my main areas to look at weight savings from the *old bikes*.

Mattpie has the *buy the new light one and add a front fork tube set* plan. Which seems quite reasonable.

Just seems like you're going to lay out some major bucks either route if you want light and rigid.

Is *rigid* ok to use?

Just recently I found out that moist is a bad word. Hoping rigid isn't on the same list.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.