Sabres pick #16 Nikita Zadorov

spndnchz

But he needs to frolic through the OHL so that he may preserve the innocence of his youth.

But he ain't helping his game any.

GO SABRES!!!

Credit where due, this was funny. But I really don't know how the meme started that being one of the better players in a league means development can't happen.

Credit where due, this was funny. But I really don't know how the meme started that being one of the better players in a league means development can't happen.

It's the same across all sports and disciplines, really. There is simply nothing to be gained from a developmental standpoint by being able to dominate your competition on a regular basis. Better competition breeds better players. In other words, there is just nothing left for him to prove at the junior level. Ideally, he'd be in the AHL where the better competition would serve to sharpen his game in preparation for the jump to the next level, but a stupid rule prevents that. Personally, I think he's ready to fall on his a$$ a few times in the NHL. He just doesn't strike me as having a frail mindset and I get the impression he can cope with the inevitable setbacks that ALL athletes have.

GO SABRES!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Sabres' Defenseman Zadorov Building Confidence in NHL

MOSCOW, December 13 (R-Sport) – Buffalo Sabres rookie defenseman Nikita Zadorov told R-Sport on Friday he is feeling much more confident after his debut in the NHL.

The 18-year-old was picked 16th overall in June’s draft and has made seven NHL appearances, earning two points.

Last month, Zadorov was sent back to the Buffalo’s OHL affiliate the London Knights, where he is preparing for the U20 world championships in Sweden later this month.

“Last year, I didn’t go to the U20 world champs because I didn’t feel enough confidence," the Moscow-born star said. "But now I’ve already played in the NHL, because I believed in myself,” Zadorov said. “I know I’m ready to play, I must be a leader so that the other guys follow me."

Buffalo is at the very bottom of the Eastern Conference, winning only seven of 32 games.

However, Zadorov claimed there was nothing to panic about, as the team had seriously renewed its roster, attracting a lot of young players.

“At times we didn’t have the luck, at other time we lost without a chance, but I think everything will get better,” Zadorov said. “The team is being reorganized right now and next season, the goals will be set higher.”

I can't imagine him not being on the roster full time next season.

I hear ya, but that would not be consistent with the way PLF and TN are running things.

I think it's more likely that he and Risto are in Rochester, hopefully dominating, competing with each other to be the first call-up and causing 90% of the posters here to curse the foolishness of TN and PLF for starting veteran defenseman X over them.

I hear ya, but that would not be consistent with the way PLF and TN are running things.

I think it's more likely that he and Risto are in Rochester, hopefully dominating, competing with each other to be the first call-up and causing 90% of the posters here to curse the foolishness of TN and PLF for starting veteran defenseman X over them.

If a kid shows that he is ready for the big time, he will be in the NHL. Look no further than Girgensons.

To be fair, I think at least some of Girgensons sticking has to do with Nolan's familiarity from the Latvian team.

He is also playing as well or better than anyone on the Sabres. Certainly Nolan's familiarity helps, but he has clearly earned his time and his spot. His game is far more mature than the other teenagers they had playing.

To be fair, I think at least some of Girgensons sticking has to do with Nolan's familiarity from the Latvian team.

So by familiarity do you mean that he is aware that Zemgus is ready or it's just a case of favoritism? The things they say about Nolan make it sound like the latter is not something he would do.

So by familiarity do you mean that he is aware that Zemgus is ready or it's just a case of favoritism? The things they say about Nolan make it sound like the latter is not something he would do.

I think the familiarity got Zemgus an opportunity the other guys (particularly Zadorov and Grigorenko) weren't afforded. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Girgensons was the only one of the trio to play both Toronto games when Nolan was initially hired.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's earned his spot and both Freeman and MD have valid points. But I think he was afforded an opportunity others weren't, and I attribute that to Nolan knowing him.

Edit: I should add, every coach has their favorites, and I see no reason to expect Nolan to be any different. See: John Scott getting semi-regular shifts and Adam just sent back to the minors...all on a team that can't score.

I agree with you - also on an OT note; I can't help but think every time I see the word "meme" used, it's as if it became the new buzzword of 2013 - almost overused due to its novelty when several other synonyms would suffice. Not griping at you, but I find the evolution of our language interesting to a point; it's the phony slang words which become words recognized by Webster's that hack me off. Call me a traditionalist.

I agree with you - also on an OT note; I can't help but think every time I see the word "meme" used, it's as if it became the new buzzword of 2013 - almost overused due to its novelty when several other synonyms would suffice. Not griping at you, but I find the evolution of our language interesting to a point; it's the phony slang words which become words recognized by Webster's that hack me off. Call me a traditionalist.

I was resistant to it for awhile, but when my colleagues started using it in conversation I threw in the towel :lol:

Words becoming words because lots of people use them? Seems fair to me.

Those are acronyms. :) It's not unheard of for acronyms to become words (see "radar"), but those don't express a unique idea, so I doubt they do.

I think the way the utes are using them they treat them as words now. I agree they are acronyms but disagree they don't express a unique idea. I liked that I got two out of two letters to. :blink:

'Meme' is 37 years old. It's a scientific term, not a phony slang word.

Archived