Sabres pick #8 Rasmus Ristolainen

inkman

Huh, no Nuchuskin.

Yeah, I'm gonna have fun with this.

Really looking forward to this.

I wish Nichushkin was a Hurricane so I could hate him more.

What, him being a skilled, apparently soft of character, rookie on LR's team isn't enough working against him?

I wasn't going to say a whole lot if Nichushkin pans out. But it's looking more and more like I'm going to make myself insufferable :P

So is that what this comes down to? Ristolainen versus Nichushkin? How do we plan to evaluate that when they play completely different positions. I would be more interested in seeing Nurse/Ristolainen/Pulock/Morin/Zadorov compared.

I hope this selection wasn't primarily because he's Finnish. That would be a very odd criteria to employ in selecting personnel for the team.

I hope this selection wasn't primarily because he's a Sagittarius. That, too, would be a very odd criteria to employ in selecting personnel for the team.

Why would we speculate that his nationality might have anything to do with his selection? Do you mean they selected the Finn because Nichushkin is Russian and Horvat is Canadian with a Croatian name?

I hope this selection wasn't primarily because he's a Sagittarius. That, too, would be a very odd criteria to employ in selecting personnel for the team.

Why would we speculate that his nationality might have anything to do with his selection? Do you mean they selected the Finn because Nichushkin is Russian and Horvat is Canadian with a Croatian name?

I believe he is referring to something kevin devine said about getting players with similar nationalities. Armia is a Finn and now he can have a Finn buddy on the team. I assume this is why he made that comment.

To his point though, I have no doubt that the Sabres ranked their defense going into the draft like this Jones, Ristolainen, Nurse, Zadorov, Pulock. Ristolainen could have just as easily become and Oiler, Nurse and him were neck and neck for the most part. Nurse has a bit more upside but IMPO so does Zadorov. There is nothing wrong with us taking a solid defender at #8 and a guy who has shown he can play big minutes in a pro league. It was a good selection drafting proven talent over over-hyped potential (Nichushkin)

O and welcome to the board .55.!!!

I believe he is referring to something kevin devine said about getting players with similar nationalities. Armia is a Finn and now he can have a Finn buddy on the team. I assume this is why he made that comment.

Yep, exactly.

And here's the topic where it was first discussed, along with the link to the article in the Buffalo News

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/21935-buffalo-news-sabres-looking-for-fins-to-pair-with-armia/page__hl__finn

Don Cherry doesn't approve of picking Euros over Canada's finest in the draft No bias whatsoever there :rolleyes:

@CoachsCornerCBC

1) Pardon me again, I just can't get over Carolina picking Elias Lindholm in their first pick passing over Sean Monahan of the Ottawa 67's

2) a dynamite hockey player and SSM's Darnell Nurse. And Buffalo taking Rasmus Ristolainen over Bo Horvat of the London Knights. How about

3) Dallas taking Valeri Nichushkin over Max Domi. Florida taking Aleksander Barkov over Drouin. Didn't they see the Stanley Cup Finals?

Don Cherry doesn't approve of picking Euros over Canada's finest in the draft No bias whatsoever there :rolleyes:

@CoachsCornerCBC

1) Pardon me again, I just can't get over Carolina picking Elias Lindholm in their first pick passing over Sean Monahan of the Ottawa 67's

2) a dynamite hockey player and SSM's Darnell Nurse. And Buffalo taking Rasmus Ristolainen over Bo Horvat of the London Knights. How about

3) Dallas taking Valeri Nichushkin over Max Domi. Florida taking Aleksander Barkov over Drouin. Didn't they see the Stanley Cup Finals?

Yeah cause there have never been any good european players and all canadian players are locks to make the NHL.

Cherry's job is based on getting the Canadian public riled up with controversial opinions. Similar to Colin Cowherd, Skip Bayless, Stephen A. Smith et. al. on the ESPN staff.

• 2 weeks later...

To his point though, I have no doubt that the Sabres ranked their defense going into the draft like this Jones, Ristolainen, Nurse, Zadorov, Pulock. Ristolainen could have just as easily become and Oiler, Nurse and him were neck and neck for the most part. Nurse has a bit more upside but IMPO so does Zadorov. There is nothing wrong with us taking a solid defender at #8 and a guy who has shown he can play big minutes in a pro league. It was a good selection drafting proven talent over over-hyped potential (Nichushkin)

O and welcome to the board .55.!!!

.55. has been solid.

Looking forward to more from .55.

Thanks to NHL contract, Ristolainen can be an Amerk

Defenseman Rasmus Ristolainen is eligible to play for the Rochester Americans, should he not earn a roster spot with the parent Buffalo Sabres during training camp.

The clarification comes this morning from Sabres assistant general manager Kevin Devine, and is presumably due to the NHL contract that the 18-year-old Ristolainen signed on Friday night.

Thanks to NHL contract, Ristolainen can be an Amerk

Defenseman Rasmus Ristolainen is eligible to play for the Rochester Americans, should he not earn a roster spot with the parent Buffalo Sabres during training camp.

The clarification comes this morning from Sabres assistant general manager Kevin Devine, and is presumably due to the NHL contract that the 18-year-old Ristolainen signed on Friday night.

Well there we go. Much ado about nothing.

Eh, that's ok. I'm sure people will find something else to go off have cocked about. Just gotta give 'em time. ;)

Seriously man.......this forum reminds me of 1942. There's always someone trying to remind us the train cars are cooled and comfortable when moving at 50 MPH. Sometimes when you have 20 dozen examples of failure and deceit, it is no longer incumbent of the doubters to prove their case.

Seriously man.......this forum reminds me of 1942. There's always someone trying to remind us the train cars are cooled and comfortable when moving at 50 MPH. Sometimes when you have 20 dozen examples of failure and deceit, it is no longer incumbent of the doubters to prove their case.

There are plenty of legitimate things for people to be unhappy about with the current state of the team. That won't prevent silliness such as 'Ristolainen won't play in the AHL, what a doodie head' from showing up because somebody misinterpreted something that a player/coach/GM/management said and then somebody else got worked up believing the misinterpretation.

There are plenty of legitimate things for people to be unhappy about with the current state of the team. That won't prevent silliness such as 'Ristolainen won't play in the AHL, what a doodie head' from showing up because somebody misinterpreted something that a player/coach/GM/management said and then somebody else got worked up believing the misinterpretation.

I'm glad you corrected your cocked..... :P

Archived