Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

The confusion here is that he could've appealed further but decided not to. So reports say he dropped the appeal, but a more accurate description would say that he decided not to further pursue an appeal.

@JSportsnet: So...here's one for you...NHLPA say the Neutral Arbitrator cannot increase Thornton's suspension...and the NHL says he can increase it.

If the NHLPA is truly there to defend the players then why don't you ever hear them refusing to defend a player in the appeals process? In Thornton's situation the offense is obvious and indefensible. Who is defending Orpik here? Is the NHL the protector of the victim while the NHLPA is there to defend the offender? To me it seems like the NHL is the real defender of the players here.

Edited by DStebb

God my memory sucks. I must've confused Kaleta's and Scott's situations. I mean, Scott didn't appeal his, did he?

Scott decided to accept the 7 gamer and move on.

NHL DoPS: Oilers' Potter suspended two games for boarding

NEW YORK -- Edmonton Oilers defenseman Corey Potter has been suspended for two games, without pay, for boarding Anaheim Ducks forward Nick Bonino during NHL Game No. 504 in Anaheim on Sunday, Dec. 15, the National Hockey League's Department of Player Safety announced today.

The incident occurred at 5:40 of the second period. Potter was assessed a major penalty and game misconduct for checking from behind.

Based on his average annual salary, Potter will forfeit $7,948.72. The money goes to the Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.

The confusion here is that he could've appealed further but decided not to. So reports say he dropped the appeal, but a more accurate description would say that he decided not to further pursue an appeal.

@JSportsnet: So...here's one for you...NHLPA say the Neutral Arbitrator cannot increase Thornton's suspension...and the NHL says he can increase it.

If the NHLPA is truly there to defend the players then why don't you ever hear them refusing to defend a player in the appeals process? In Thornton's situation the offense is obvious and indefensible. Who is defending Orpik here? Is the NHL the protector of the victim while the NHLPA is there to defend the offender? To me it seems like the NHL is the real defender of the players here.

Because their role in these procedings is to ensure the accused gets the full extent of 'due process' in their hearing.

Where they should be doing more for the victims of the violence is in pushing harder for rules and standards that improve player safety before a Thornton pulls a Bertuzzi. By the time the standards are being enforced (post-incident) their role is to keep everything on the up&up for the perpetrator.

Wish they had the actual fight but that is still awesome! JUST BTW if I saw a video of sabre doing this I would find it disgraceful as a fan. I am sure it has happened but still you need to hold yourself to a higher level as a pro athlete.

Listened to Lucics interview with a Boston station replayed on 1040 am this morning out of Vancouver and he claims that he was hit twice unprovoked and never hit the guy back. He also said he's pressing charges against this guy. If his side of the story holds up he did the right thing but really he should have clobbered that punk.

Edited by bunomatic

Listened to Lucics interview with a Boston station replayed on 1040 am this morning out of Vancouver and he claims that he was hit twice unprovoked and never hit the guy back. He also said he's pressing charges against this guy. If his side of the story holds up he did the right thing but really he should have clobbered that punk.

He was probably much stronger and didn't want to kill the guy.

Just read an article (mobile, no linkie) where Lucic basically swears off a return to his hometown unless it's to play hockey for another club.

A shame, really, and a black eye for Vancouver.

I've been to taverns and a club when Paddy Kane is around -- from what I can tell, the vibe he gets from yokel locals is very different, and almost uniformly positive. And that's even after something like the cabbie incident.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Just read an article (mobile, no linkie) where Lucic basically swears off a return to his hometown unless it's to play hockey for another club.

A shame, really, and a black eye for Vancouver.

I've been to taverns and a club when Paddy Kane is around -- from what I can tell, the vibe he gets from yokel locals is very different, and almost uniformly positive. And that's even after something like the cabbie incident.

Maybe the vibe Kane gets changes when Chicago beats Buffao for a Cup and Kane runs rampant in the series.

Not that it is a likely scenario..... :unsure:

Just a guess, but he may have been encouraged to appeal by the NHLPA.

Yes, and that's a shame, considering that Orpik is a member of that organization as well.

It's not so much the NHLPA itself, but their lawyers who dictate and *manage* an appeal to Bettman.

The only way there is an appeal is if it is determined to be warranted by the NHLPA legal beagles.

The Bruins are chief among our most hated rivals (and I don't give a danm about rival-reciprocity), but, man, they are world class when it comes to their in-house media production capabilities. I love this stuff.

http://video.bruins.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=513474&catid=-6

I think they view lengthy suspensions as more harmful to their members than the events that precipitate them.

I think they view lengthy suspensions as more harmful to their members than the events that precipitate them.

Too true. What I can't understand is that the NHLPA also represents the guys who have gotten the elbow in the mush or the shoulder to the temple. How would you feel if another NHLPA member (i.e. a player from another team) gives you a concussion that puts you in a dark room for a month and the Players' Association appeals the offender's 7 game suspension? I'd be pretty pi$$ed at my "union". Well, once I could think straight again.... :blink:

Too true. What I can't understand is that the NHLPA also represents the guys who have gotten the elbow in the mush or the shoulder to the temple. How would you feel if another NHLPA member (i.e. a player from another team) gives you a concussion that puts you in a dark room for a month and the Players' Association appeals the offender's 7 game suspension? I'd be pretty pi$$ed at my "union". Well, once I could think straight again.... :blink:

So instead of defending player A and completely ignoring player B, the PA is supposed to defend player B and ignore player A? That is pretty much what is being suggested here. They are supposed to represent every single player, but what exactly can they do for Orpik at this very moment? Basically, they defended the injured player preemptively when they negotiated the safety rules which are in place. Now they defend the suspended player by trying to save his paycheck. Did they screw up when they put those rules in place? Probably, but at this very moment their highest priority is the almighty dollar.

John Shannon@JSportsnet1m

FYI...NHL Holiday Roster Freeze...11:59pm on the 19th until 12:01am on the 28th...all times local.

For those that don't know what this means: during this period teams are not allowed to trade, release, waive or sign players. The only thing that is allowed is callups on an emergency basis.

Might be a good time to ramp up the GM search since nothing else will be going on.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.