Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

Another Ugly Hit:

http://youtu.be/89Ldu2k0oKU

Wow, he came in like a missile. 20 games for being an ######, please.

It's this kind of kill or be killed attitude that has the NHL so ###### up right now. If Wilson was my team mate I'd fight him myself. If he'd do that to an opponent he'd do it to anyone.

Unless he just didn't see him, why the F does Shenn turn away from that hit? I know it's a contrarian view, but some of the responsibility has to be put on these hitees.

I don't think Shenn turned, I think he just got hit really hard by a guy who was already moving fast and then churned his legs even more.

I seriously doubt Schenn saw him coming.

I don't think Shenn turned, I think he just got hit really hard by a guy who was already moving fast and then churned his legs even more.

Yeah, it's hard to tell if he saw him, but he definitely turned to make the play instead of taking the hit.

I just don't like the idea of "all you have to do is turn your back." You can't be hit and you then get a free play on the puck.

Yeah, it's hard to tell if he saw him, but he definitely turned to make the play instead of taking the hit.

I just don't like the idea of "all you have to do is turn your back." You can't be hit and you then get a free play on the puck.

There are def cases where players seemed to have put themselves at risk even though they appeared aware of a hit coming. This one is different to me. Wilson lined him up from beyond the blue line and appeared to be driving still as he made the hit. I'm not sure Schenn could have adequately protected himself if he tried. even if he was facing Wilson at the time of contact he's going to be slammed into the boards. It was very predatory and in a very dangerous spot.

There are def cases where players seemed to have put themselves at risk even though they appeared aware of a hit coming. This one is different to me. Wilson lined him up from beyond the blue line and appeared to be driving still as he made the hit. I'm not sure Schenn could have adequately protected himself if he tried. even if he was facing Wilson at the time of contact he's going to be slammed into the boards. It was very predatory and in a very dangerous spot.

This is exactly how I see it. Even if Schenn sees him the whole way, Wilson came from Iraq to make that hit.

I agree and no matter what, Schenn was getting walloped. Do we know what the penalty was, though? At the very least it was a charge. I really think that if Schenn doesn't turn, he's probably not spending any time in the quite room.

Unless he just didn't see him, why the F does Shenn turn away from that hit? I know it's a contrarian view, but some of the responsibility has to be put on these hitees.

The angle that Wilson came from there was no way Schenn wouldn't be driven into the boards. Even if Schenn turned directly towards him, he was still going to fly into the boards.

And the Phlyers reaction is proof why the instigator shouldn't be modified. When it's egrarious enough, 2 minutes be damned. But had it been a clean hit, w/ no instigator, the reaction would have been the same.

The angle that Wilson came from there was no way Schenn wouldn't be driven into the boards. Even if Schenn turned directly towards him, he was still going to fly into the boards.

And the Phlyers reaction is proof why the instigator shouldn't be modified. When it's egrarious enough, 2 minutes be damned. But had it been a clean hit, w/ no instigator, the reaction would have been the same.

They didn't make an instigator call on the Flyers there. Hell, I'd be surprised if the refs didn't at least consider not calling a thing on Philly at all there.

It's called charging!

That one just might be the king of all charging penalties.

Oates was upset at the non-call on the instigator.

that was absolutely ridiculous. As the announcer even says, he sped up at the blueline, and he had one target and one target only. He destroyed Schenn! Those are the types of hits that need out of the game. Those are the types of hits others on this board were damning Kaleta for. It's unacceptable.

The contact was clean, as far as heads/elbows/facing the boards, etc. And while Wilson didn't take 3+ steps or jump into the hit, it was suitable for a charging call. A real contributing factor to the damage here, was that Schenn was in the "dead zone" (between three from the boards and six feet from the boards). If he's anywhere else, there's a good chance his noggin and spine don't get crunched. That isn't to fault Schenn at all, of course, because the game is played there, especially immediately after winning possession along the boards.

The speed of the hit combined with the location make this a dangerous play. The question is whether Wilson had intent to inure. Intent to injure is the boundary between a major charging call and a match penalty charging call. Is it the onus of the hitter to not make shoulder-to-shoulder hits with speed in the dead zone?

The contact was clean, as far as heads/elbows/facing the boards, etc. And while Wilson didn't take 3+ steps or jump into the hit, it was suitable for a charging call. A real contributing factor to the damage here, was that Schenn was in the "dead zone" (between three from the boards and six feet from the boards). If he's anywhere else, there's a good chance his noggin and spine don't get crunched. That isn't to fault Schenn at all, of course, because the game is played there, especially immediately after winning possession along the boards.

The speed of the hit combined with the location make this a dangerous play. The question is whether Wilson had intent to inure. Intent to injure is the boundary between a major charging call and a match penalty charging call. Is it the onus of the hitter to not make shoulder-to-shoulder hits with speed in the dead zone?

I think the onus is on the hitter to not come from all the way up near the blue line to make that hit.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.