Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

Seriously I feel like he has played on every team in the NHL but ours. Every time I turn on another teams game he seems to play for them

I think he was referring to the scrolling headline at the bottom of the screen that was noting the trade from 3 weeks ago like it had just happened. ;)

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Del Zotto is the better player, but Klein is a better value for the Rangers.

Kleiner is a bit of a fan favorite here in Nashville, so fans down here might not like this trade. Klein is a very solid d-man.

The reason for doing this from the Preds standpoint is simple. Weber, Klein, and Jones are all natural right-side defensemen. When Seth Jones fell to Nashville in the draft it made moving Klein an option. Del Zotto plays the left side. So this gives the Preds Weber & Josi, and Jones & Del Zotto as their top two pairs - all playing their natural side.

Not sure why the move from the Rangers standpoint... Del Zotto a bit of an underachiever, I guess...

Kleiner is a bit of a fan favorite here in Nashville, so fans down here might not like this trade. Klein is a very solid d-man.

The reason for doing this from the Preds standpoint is simple. Weber, Klein, and Jones are all natural right-side defensemen. When Seth Jones fell to Nashville in the draft it made moving Klein an option. Del Zotto plays the left side. So this gives the Preds Weber & Josi, and Jones & Del Zotto as their top two pairs - all playing their natural side.

Not sure why the move from the Rangers standpoint... Del Zotto a bit of an underachiever, I guess...

Dreger says Rangers have been looking for a right handed defenseman for awhile

Del Zotto is the better player, but Klein is a better value for the Rangers.

Is he?

IIRC, Del Zotto is a RFA at the end of this season and has a $2.55 mil cap hit

Klein has 4 years left at an average cap hit of $2.9 mil

The only way this makes sense is in the idea that the Rangers wanted someone for the right side and not someone one from the left playing the right

Is he?

IIRC, Del Zotto is a RFA at the end of this season and has a $2.55 mil cap hit

Klein has 4 years left at an average cap hit of $2.9 mil

The only way this makes sense is in the idea that the Rangers wanted someone for the right side and not someone one from the left playing the right

Del Zotto will get a raise at the end of the year. Whether through arbitration or contract extension.

He's too small to play in this league. I'll take Leino over Gerbe any day.

Too small to play on a team that played small.

Good for him, nice to see that he finally ended up somewhere he'd get a chance to shine, cause it sure as heck wasn't here.

Would've liked to see him under Nolan, but sadly it wasn't to be.

Too small to play on a team that played small.

Good for him, nice to see that he finally ended up somewhere he'd get a chance to shine, cause it sure as heck wasn't here.

Would've liked to see him under Nolan, but sadly it wasn't to be.

Gerbe was my favorite player...he's got an abundance of what the Sabres lack - heart. I remember a goal he scored for the Sabres when he did a spinarama and Lafontaine was watching and made a comment about Gerbe that he was a very special player. He is. You just can't manufacture that kind of desire, speed and skill. Buffalo lost out when it got stupid.

Gerbe was my favorite player...he's got an abundance of what the Sabres lack - heart. I remember a goal he scored for the Sabres when he did a spinarama and Lafontaine was watching and made a comment about Gerbe that he was a very special player. He is. You just can't manufacture that kind of desire, speed and skill. Buffalo lost out when it got stupid.

I agree, and that was years ago.

That spinorama goal was one of the flukiest goals you'll ever see. I don't think he was looking at the net when he shot it. While he's a nice little player, he was getting abused up and down the rink because at 5'2", there is only so much desire can do for you. For the final time, Gerbe is not a fast NHL skater. Maybe slightly above average but nothing more than that.

He needs to be on the ice getting protected minutes playing with guys that will open up space for him. He wasn't getting that in Buffalo and is getting it in Carolina.

That spinorama goal was one of the flukiest goals you'll ever see. I don't think he was looking at the net when he shot it. While he's a nice little player, he was getting abused up and down the rink because at 5'2", there is only so much desire can do for you. For the final time, Gerbe is not a fast NHL skater. Maybe slightly above average but nothing more than that.

He needs to be on the ice getting protected minutes playing with guys that will open up space for him. He wasn't getting that in Buffalo and is getting it in Carolina.

I like how he get's shorter and shorter every time you talk about him. Gerbe is better than half the forwards on our roster.

Different team

Different system

It works

He has different linemates now. John Scott could have 10 goals on a line with Staal...

I still have no problem with him being bought out.

I am so sick of "look this former sabres player made an insane goal and we let him go..."

Edited by Peppy22

I think that overstates the case for Gerbe, and I very much liked having the guy as a Sabre.

That spinorama goal was one of the flukiest goals you'll ever see.

C'mon - don't hate on a spectacular goal. You make your own luck in that situation - it was a beauty.

For the final time, Gerbe is not a fast NHL skater. Maybe slightly above average but nothing more than that.

Above average, high-average is right.

I don't watch Hurricane games. But his advanced stats (yeah, sorry - I went there; I don't watch, so TM says they're a useful tool) says that Gerbe is in the bottom half of the [Hurricane] forwards on O-zone starts (just above 50%) and is top-4 in the relative quality of competition he faces (only the Staals and Dwyer are better than him).

So, he's not being sheltered.

I've said it before: We stink, and Gerbe would not change that, but I wish we had him on this squad, playing his guts out in a north-south game for TN, and engendering goodwill among suffering fans.

Edited by That Aud Smell

I think that overstates the case for Gerbe, and I very much liked having the guy as a Sabre.

C'mon - don't hate on a spectacular goal. You make your own luck in that situation - it was a beauty.

Above average, high-average is right.

I don't watch Hurricane games. But his advanced stats (yeah, sorry - I went there; I don't watch, so TM says they're a useful tool) says that Gerbe is in the bottom half of the forwards on O-zone starts (just above 50%) and is top-4 in the relative quality of competition he faces (only the Staals and Dwyer are better than him).

So, he's not being sheltered.

I've said it before: We stink, and Gerbe would not change that, but I wish we had him on this squad, playing his guts out in a north-south game for TN, and engendering goodwill among suffering fans.

I'm definitely not one to rag on advanced stats but how can he be in the bottom half of the league with respect to other forwards if his ozone starts are over 50%? How can the majority of them (Carolina forwards or NHL forwards in general) get more than 50% of their zone starts in the offensive zone?

I'm definitely not one to rag on advanced stats but how can he be in the bottom half of the league with respect to other forwards if his ozone starts are over 50%? How can the majority of them (Carolina forwards or NHL forwards in general) get more than 50% of their zone starts in the offensive zone?

I meant to indicate bottom half on his team - he's not getting a ton of O-Zone starts relative to the other Hurricane forwards. Semin, IIRC, is getting the greatest # of O-Zone starts.

Edited by That Aud Smell

I meant to indicate bottom half on his team - he's not getting a ton of O-Zone starts relative to the other Hurricane forwards. Semin, IIRC, is getting the greatest # of O-Zone starts.

Ok, but how is he on the bottom half of his team if his offensive zone starts are above 50% even slightly? The majority of Carolina's forwards can't be starting in the offensive zone more than half the time, can they? Unless Carolina is some Detroit-esque possession type team where the majority of their starts happen to be in the offensive zone. Maybe I'm just getting it confused or maybe I'm missing something like counting neutral zone starts as offensive zone starts or something like that. I'm no statistician but my educational background is in finance and economics so I've done my share of stats work and number crunching but I guess I'm just missing it. Thinking about it more I guess it's possible but that means Carolina as a team must take more faceoffs in the offensive end than the defensive end. Sorry to harp on this with all the questions it just seemed a little counter-intuitive.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.