Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

Different team

Different system

It works

He has different linemates now. John Scott could have 10 goals on a line with Staal...

I still have no problem with him being bought out.

I am so sick of "look this former sabres player made an insane goal and we let him go..."

While I agree with everything else, John Scott would never have 10 goals on any line. Maybe career goals.

Ok, but how is he on the bottom half of his team if his offensive zone starts are above 50% even slightly? The majority of Carolina's forwards can't be starting in the offensive zone more than half the time, can they? Unless Carolina is some Detroit-esque possession type team where the majority of their starts happen to be in the offensive zone. Maybe I'm just getting it confused or maybe I'm missing something like counting neutral zone starts as offensive zone starts or something like that. I'm no statistician but my educational background is in finance and economics so I've done my share of stats work and number crunching but I guess I'm just missing it. Thinking about it more I guess it's possible but that means Carolina as a team must take more faceoffs in the offensive end than the defensive end. Sorry to harp on this with all the questions it just seemed a little counter-intuitive.

I'm probably just expressing the idea poorly. The stats site I looked at listed ~17 forwards for Carolina, and had Gerbe as 10th in O-Zone starts among the forwards - meaning 9 forwards had more O-Zone starts and 7 had fewer.

Here's a picture of the O-Zone sort I created. I think I'm reading it correctly.

post-760-0-25047800-1390500718_thumb.png

Edit: Talk about a guy who's getting protected: Skinner starts in the O-Zone almost 70% of the time.

Edited by That Aud Smell

I like how he get's shorter and shorter every time you talk about him. Gerbe is better than half the forwards on our roster.

Just because our team sucks, doesn't make Gerbe good. Any player on the ice at any time can knock him over with a feather. I used to scream at the TV every time he had the puck and tried to skate up the boards. He would fall down instantly on contact. It was freaking maddening!

Gerbe is on pace for 36 points. He is an upper end 3rd line player who is a defensive liability that is easily abused on the ice with average speed. I still remember the Staal brothers trapping the Sabres in our end for about 2 minutes because anytime Gerbe got the puck they would just knock him over and continue to cycle it

He is an upper end 3rd line player who is a defensive liability that is easily abused on the ice with average speed.

I agree with this more than I disagree. I think his speed is better than average - a bit of the "quicker than fast" thing going on. The guy made his bones in college being an elite scorer; he didn't show a capacity to become a good defensive player when he was here.

Gerbe is on pace for 36 points. He is an upper end 3rd line player who is a defensive liability that is easily abused on the ice with average speed. I still remember the Staal brothers trapping the Sabres in our end for about 2 minutes because anytime Gerbe got the puck they would just knock him over and continue to cycle it

Your first two sentences sum up the problem with Gerbe. He doesn't have enough skill to hold down a top-6 spot on a good team, but doesn't have the defensive abilities to play checking line minutes either. That leaves him as a 4th liner, and he's not what teams tend to look for on the 4th line either.

Your first two sentences sum up the problem with Gerbe. He doesn't have enough skill to hold down a top-6 spot on a good team, but doesn't have the defensive abilities to play checking line minutes either. That leaves him as a 4th liner, and he's not what teams tend to look for on the 4th line either.

Even if he had the defensive ability, I can't see him having the size. Is he really going to be effective against a big forward?

Even if he had the defensive ability, I can't see him having the size. Is he really going to be effective against a big forward?

Yeah probably not. To become a decent defensive player he would probably have to read the play really well and be able to intercept passes and generally use his stick to disrupt the game. But if he just backchecked a little harder and made sure not to lose his man in the defensive zone I think it would be surprisingly effective. Great defensive is a skill. Decent defence is a discipline

You believe in the playoffs Gerbe would be allowed to do that? He would be crushed at the blueline and never get the chance.

He is a good third line winger on a team that doesnt already have a really good tiny player. We fortunately have a better midget in Ennis so no room for a gerbe.

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Breaking news: San Jose Sharks have signed Patrick Marleau and Joe Thornton to 3-year extensions.

There's the extensions I mentioned a few pages back.

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Marleau's 3-year deal is worth $6.66 M a year AAV; Thornton's deal is $6.75 M a year AAV.

Edited by Tankalicious

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.