2013 - 2014 Sabres Prospects

Johnny DangerFace

Zadorov tops a solid group of NHL-drafted OHL defensemen

1. Nikita Zadorov, London Knights

NHL Rights: Buffalo Sabres (1st round, 16th overall, 2013)

The Moscow-born Russian may have spent the least amount of time in the OHL, but it’s safe to say he’s made the biggest impact — both literally and figuratively.

Zadorov spent the better part of the first half of the OHL season on the Buffalo Sabres roster. While he only saw action in seven games, he didn’t look out of place at the NHL level. However, a regime change shifted the focus from the Sabres’ youth movement, and Zadorov was amongst a number of players sent back to the minor leagues.

Returned to the Knights, he’s played a key role on the OHL squad with seven goals and 10 assists in 22 games. But before he returned to The Forest City of London, ON, he made a pit stop in Malmo, Sweden where he led the Russian squad to a bronze-medal performance at the World Junior Championship, where he also earned all-star recognition.

At the World Juniors, he scored four goals and added one assist in Russia’s seven games. Zadorov showed an increased offensive component to his game — shooting more and jumping into the rush, which he’s continued to do at the OHL level since his return to the Knights.

At 6’5" and 220 pounds, Zadorov has NHL size, an accurate shot, and is surprisingly mobile despite his bulk. He has always been solid in his own end, but he’s grown increasingly confident in the offensive end. He’s well liked by teammates, is extremely confident, and has a great command of English, which has helped his transition to North America.

Whaa?

I mean, I never hated on Sekera, but I saw a log-jam at defense (especially after selecting Risto and Zads) and Compher had nothing but great remarks said about him.

I loved Sekera. He was our best defender not named Ehrhoff. And he was 25 on a sweetheart contract. My opinion was he had a ton of value to a team, even if it was 5 years away from contention.

You clearly didn't watch him closely enough.

I did. Sekera was a good D-man who was not used to his strengths. He was probably one of the 4 best d men in the 2010 games as well. Watching him there I knew something was wrong, he needed the change of scenery though and I think the return was about even at this point.

My opinion was he had a ton of value to a team, even if it was 5 years away from contention.

I partly agree with this. Like I said, I saw some value in Sekera, didn't hate it. Maybe the best way way to phrase my argument is:

flying_tank.jpg

I didn't think that Sekera was *so good* as to want to rebuild around him, especially with the prospect depth at D. He seemed like a career 3-4 defenseman. So move him, collect the pick for Compher (whom even Devine said was expected to be late 1st round) and a patchwork defender in McBain (who, depending on the coach, is probably a career 4-5 defensemen). I think Sekera was worth the equivalent of a late 1st and serviceable defenseman. And I think that trade startsto look a little lopsided for us now that Compher looks like a point-getting wrecking ball freshman in the B1G.

I'm glad Sekera's playing well in Carolina, but is he a top pair defensemen on a team that has other defensemen? (Faulk, Hainsey, Liles, Murphy, Harrison, and Bellemore fill out CAR's back end.)

Baptiste taking the reins

It has always been easy to gauge Nick Baptiste's value to the Sudbury Wolves in tangible terms -- take the two goals and one assist the speedy winger collected last Saturday, on his return from a week-long stay in sick bay.

But it's becoming more apparent to his coaches, teammates and fans, even if it doesn't always show up on the stat sheet, is that Baptiste is becoming pace-setter, a game-breaker and a leader in his third year with the Sudbury squad.

I still think the rule is fair. The CHL would fall apart without the rule. And a lot of vets' careers would be over quick.

I think maybe they should make a rule that each AHL team can have two CHL players under 20 on their team, or something like that.

Baptiste staying another year might be one of the best things. He could be AHL ready but I think he is really growing in Sudbury. I am glad that for such a young kid he has shown such great signs of improvement. Could be a sleeper RW2 in another 3 years.

I still think the rule is fair. The CHL would fall apart without the rule. And a lot of vets' careers would be over quick.

I think maybe they should make a rule that each AHL team can have two CHL players under 20 on their team, or something like that.

Certainly a max of one per season per NHL team seems reasonable. I doubt the CHL suffers from the potential loss of at most 30, but more likely 15-20, players.

How is protection of veterans at the expense of developing players fair to the developing players? How is protection of the CHL at the expense of the AHL fair to the AHL? It's only fair if you look at it from the perspective of the beneficiaries. Logical? Sure. Fair? No way.

How is protection of veterans at the expense of developing players fair to the developing players? How is protection of the CHL at the expense of the AHL fair to the AHL? It's only fair if you look at it from the perspective of the beneficiaries. Logical? Sure. Fair? No way.

Somebody claimed it was unfair to the young players, so I gave the other side. The real reason for the rule has nothing to do with being "fair" to either side. The point of the rule is to keep the CHL conpetitive... And active.

There is no "expense" to the AHL. They do and will do just fine with the rule in place. The CHL wouldn't survive without the rule. And NHL teams would suffer without a lot of the CHL players sticking around in the CHL. It's an environment where young draft prospects can compete against superior players in experience and skill, and show what they have. Take that away and scouting changes completely.

Edited by Tankalicious

If AHL vets lose their jobs to teenagers, it's just a matter of time anyway. Better to develop the younger guys than prolong the inevitable.

Bottom line is the rule does nothing to serve the interests of developing players when they've outgrown juniors.

GO SABRES!!!

If AHL vets lose their jobs to teenagers, it's just a matter of time anyway. Better to develop the younger guys than prolong the inevitable.

Bottom line is the rule does nothing to serve the interests of developing players when they've outgrown juniors.

GO SABRES!!!

You should be allowed to have 1 under 20 junior eligible player in the AHL. There should be an exception.

The CHL would be fine if this rule changed, IMO.

It's hockey being played for the love of the game and watched by fans, in small towns like Halifax, where there are not many choices, who love the game.

The CHL is a breeding ground. These guys are playing for futures in the NHL. There are some that aren't going to make the NHL and know that, but they're still working against a lot of players who will someday play and shine in the NHL.

Edited by Tankalicious