2013 - 2014 Sabres Prospects

Johnny DangerFace

I'm pretty sure this doesn't include guys who have already made it, like MacKinnon, but the scouts think there may at least one guy you missed.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/future-watch-2014-update-alex-wennberg-rockets-near-top-5/

Always look forward to that issue, eager to see if the Sabres are rated as strongly as we would hope.

Forgot that Wennberg is having such a strong year. Would put him somewhere in the bottom of my top ten. I still think Mantha was so underrated. I had him in my top ten rankings going into the draft.

It's a definite positive that he's performing so strongly there. I honestly feared that all this drama would turn into him slacking. Hasn't happened.

he has already dominated there, so I am not really impressed. I am much more interested in how he comes into camp and how he plays in the AHL/NHL next year

he has already dominated there, so I am not really impressed. I am much more interested in how he comes into camp and how he plays in the AHL/NHL next year

I'm not impressed. Just satisfied that he hasn't slacked off or gotten discouraged.

Edited by Tankalicious

I've never understood this idea that he has nothing left to prove at that level. You know what he hasn't done there yet? Win.

I agree. We had unrealistic expectations for our 12th overall pick and he should not have been in Buffalo at all during the lockout year and probably should have just sniffed the NHL for 7-8 games this year. A year in the AHL, maybe 2 and we will see where Grigorenko is at.

Back at 100 percent, Armia's game progressing in Rochester

@matthewwgr Reporting

Matthew Coller

Since Day One of his first season in North America, Joel Armia has been battling a hand injury. The Buffalo Sabres' 2011 first-round draft pick missed the opening stretch of the season after getting hurt in the pre-season. It took until mid-November for Armia to make his debut. It wasn't until after the American Hockey League All-Star break that the hand was 100 percent. Now that he's at full strength, the 20-year-old is starting to make progress in his all-around game.

I'd avoid them all like the plague. Stats just don't relate to NHL success.

Agreed. It's not to say that fantastic prospects can't come from the QMJHL. Last year was loaded with fantastic prospects from the QMJHL like MacKinnon/Drouin and more. This year's draft seems to lack top prospects from the Q. Maybe one in the top ten if Ehlers can move his way up.

Ivan Barbashev and Nikolaj Ehlers are the only two players on ISS top 30 from the QMJHL. I am not sure at this point I would want either in the later part of the 1st round.

I posted in the draft thread that I want Ehlers drafted by the Sabres.

I have watched him play plenty this year. He is, IMO, a top 20, or 30 pick.

SABRES PROSPECTS REPORT - 2/24/14

Nikita Zadorov and Brady Austin are dominating the defense in London

By Kris Baker - SabresProspects.com

A pair of Buffalo Sabres defensive prospects have being playing a key role in helping the OHL’s London Knights put together a seven-game winning streak entering the final week of February.

On Saturday, Nikita Zadorov (2013, first round) scored on the power play with 5:35 left in regulation to thrust London to a 4-3 win over Plymouth. Zadorov's second game winner of the year gives him nine goals in his last 14 games. By virtue of the productive spike, Zadorov has amassed 26 points (11+15) in 28 appearances, eclipsing his total of 25 posted a season ago in 63 games.

London defenseman Brady Austin (2012, seventh round) scored his career-high ninth goal of the year Saturday in the Knights’ win over the Whalers. The big defender, who has nine points in his last nine games for a total of 30 on the year, has amassed a sparkling plus-42 rating this season, good for fourth overall in the OHL.

ISS top 10 NHL prospects that have been drafted but haven't played a game in the NHL:

1. Jonathan Drouin, F, Tampa

2. John Gibson, G, Anaheim

3. Curtis Lazar, F, Ottawa

4. Tuevo Teravainen, F, Chicago

5. Griffin Reinhart, D, NYI

6. Bo Horvat, F, Vancouver

7. Andrei Vasilevski, G, Tampa

8. Darnell Nurse, D, Edmonton

9. JOEL ARMIA, F, BUFFALO

10. Scott Harrington, D, Pittsburgh