Buffalo Bills 2013

inkman

Naturally, but that wasn't the point. Sitting out of camp doesn't make someone a cancer who needs to be purged, especially when they're one of the best players in the league at their position.

So what makes Byrd a cancer?

It was the only leverage he had to try to force the long term deal he wanted, and after July 15 to try to force a better 1 year deal for himself that included a clause not allowing the tag next year. The Bills were content to allow him to sit it out.

I agree with that, somewhat. But don't you find the timing to be a bit too coincidental?

I agree with that, somewhat. But don't you find the timing to be a bit too coincidental?

Of course it's not coincidental,

The Bills didn't blink and he came in at the last possible moment without jeopardizing any part of his full year's salary. It's just business.

Of course it's not coincidental,

The Bills didn't blink and he came in at the last possible moment without jeopardizing any part of his full year's salary. It's just business.

Correct me if I'm wrong, and there is a good chance I am, but didn't the deadline pass over a month ago where they could no longer negotiate? As far as I know, the only other option available in the last month is another team could offer Byrd a contract and if the Bills didn't match then they would recieve two 1st round picks. If that's the case, nobody in their right mind would waste that much on Byrd, and I think him and his agent know that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, and there is a good chance I am, but didn't the deadline pass over a month ago where they could no longer negotiate? As far as I know, the only other option available in the last month is another team could offer Byrd a contract and if the Bills didn't match then they would recieve two 1st round picks. If that's the case, nobody in their right mind would waste that much on Byrd, and I think him and his agent know that.

The Bills could have, and actually still could although no reason to now, negotiate a 1 year deal and offered;

1) more then the $6.9

2) less then the $6.9 but with agreement not to re-tag next year

3) just agree not to re-tag to get him to come in

Clearly now both sides still aren't happy but a lot can change over the next 16 weeks or so

The Bills could have, and actually still could although no reason to now, negotiate a 1 year deal and offered;

1) more then the $6.9

2) less then the $6.9 but with agreement not to re-tag next year

3) just agree not to re-tag to get him to come in

Clearly now both sides still aren't happy but a lot can change over the next 16 weeks or so

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/7/3/4487308/franchise-tag-deadline-july-15-ryan-clady-jairus-byrd

This is basically the way I understood it. I was under the impression that since a long term deal wasn't reached that Byrd was guaranteed the $6.9mil/1 year contract if he decided to take it. If he didn't he was still "property" of the Bills but under no obligation to play therefore he could not be fined.

Doing something to divide the locker room, trying to turn players against the coaches, not giving full effort on the field...something like that. Trying to leverage his way to a contract that he fully deserves, like countless players in the past have done and will do in the future? No. Hell no. That is not a team cancer. In fact, if I had to give my best guess, I'd he has full support of the players in doing what he did--because they know the time may come in the future when they have to do the same thing. Those guys know how it works.

Doing something to divide the locker room, trying to turn players against the coaches, not giving full effort on the field...something like that. Trying to leverage his way to a contract that he fully deserves, like countless players in the past have done and will do in the future? No. Hell no. That is not a team cancer. In fact, if I had to give my best guess, I'd he has full support of the players in doing what he did--because they know the time may come in the future when they have to do the same thing. Those guys know how it works.

Exactly

It went from 2 games of optimism to this game...... And reality seems to be crashing down on us fans.... Let's just hope it was an exception and not the norm..... Don't get me wrong but 8-8 would be an ok season this year.

I dunno, Washington should be a playoff contender so I'm not surprised we struggled. We weren't going to go undefeated.

It went from 2 games of optimism to this game...... And reality seems to be crashing down on us fans.... Let's just hope it was an exception and not the norm..... Don't get me wrong but 8-8 would be an ok season this year.

I'd be really happy with 8-8, actually. I just don't think the roster is good enough to have a better record than that (and frankly I think 5-11 is more realistic). That said, I'm pretty optimistic about this staff over the next few years once more players are brought in and hopefully Manuel develops.

I'd be really happy with 8-8, actually. I just don't think the roster is good enough to have a better record than that (and frankly I think 5-11 is more realistic). That said, I'm pretty optimistic about this staff over the next few years once more players are brought in and hopefully Manuel develops.

I'm excited for change and the new swing of things surrounding the bills, but it's funny how many people I've heard that were talking playoffs last week and now suddenly the pre season bandwagon wheels fall off and we're going to be terrible again.... Granted the 3rd preseason game has a lil higher emphasis but it's still meaningless.... I agree we don't have complete roster talent or great depth quite yet, as soon as injuries hit the bills, I think it spells trouble. Week 1 will be a fair test of our team against a depleted but still strong new England team.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.