2013 NHL Entry Draft: Buffalo Sabres Select...

LGR4GM

Jones or MacKinnon  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you draft given the 1st overall pick?

• Seth Jones
    • Nathan MacKinnon
    • Jonathan Drouin
  2. 2. Who do you think the Sabres should draft at #8 overall?

• Sean Monahan
    • Elias Lindholm
    • Valeri Nichushkin
    • Ristolainen/Nurse/Zadarov/Other defender
    • Zach Fucale
    • Other, please post name

New mock draft with the Sabres drafting 8th and taking Hunter Shinkaruk: http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

This is the site that correctly had the Sabres taking Armia a couple years back and they usually do a pretty decent job.

The first 7 picks are Jones, Drouin, MacKinnin, Barkov, Nichushkin, Nurse, and Lindholm. If we're drafting 8th and our choice is between Shinkaruk and Monahan, that's not too bad. I've warmed up to the Shinkaruk idea with the Sabres dealing Pominville and (probably) trading Vanek soon too. We'll need to add some scoring to the mix.

Definitely not surprised to see Nurse creeping closer to the top. He seems like a player the Flyers would love. The big question is who decides to take a chance Nichushkin, probably the highest risk and reward of the whole bunch.

Don't worry, we'll be drafting higher than that.

Good point. I had forgotten about their previous burns with the Russians. Although their new gm is Finnish, so maybe he won't have the NA bias most GMs have? Or maybe it would be easier for him to convince Europeans to come to America etc.

Also now Nashville have Foresberg, I could see them taking Lindholm and creating a Swedish core. Rinne is also Finnish, so they would be having quite a nice Euro-centric team. That might also mean they want Barkov, but i'm not sure they get that high

Take a look at their recent drafts. Nashville has no problem whatsoever with drafting European players. It's pretty interesting to see just how diverse their draft classes are. They have actually drafted more products of Europe and the American junior/college system than they do Canadian junior players. You don't see that too often. Their hockey department has very close ties to the college hockey world, but I'm very surprised to see just how few Canadians they have drafted in recent years.

Don't worry, we'll be drafting higher than that.

If anything, we'll be drafting later. I've been saying 10th overall all year and it's still looking that way to me. The Sabres suck but they're giving a ton of effort now (right on time) so they're going to get some points.

Florida, Colorado, Calgary, and Carolina aren't catching us. That's your bottom four.

Then you have TB, Philly, and Nashville (the Preds are tied with us in points but have one less game left). Are those teams going to collect more points in their final games than we are? They all seem more dysfunctional than us at this point.

Then just ahead of us in the standings is Edmonton, Phoenix, NJ, Columbus, and Dallas. I could see any of them collapsing in the final games harder than we're going to.

8th might be the best case scenario and 5th might take a miracle.

If anything, we'll be drafting later. I've been saying 10th overall all year and it's still looking that way to me. The Sabres suck but they're giving a ton of effort now (right on time) so they're going to get some points.

Florida, Colorado, Calgary, and Carolina aren't catching us. That's your bottom four.

Then you have TB, Philly, and Nashville (the Preds are tied with us in points but have one less game left). Are those teams going to collect more points in their final games than we are? They all seem more dysfunctional than us at this point.

Then just ahead of us in the standings is Edmonton, Phoenix, NJ, Columbus, and Dallas. I could see any of them collapsing in the final games harder than we're going to.

Just might make for a Sabres decision on Nishcushkin. Hmmm?

With all due respect, I think you're giving the Sabres too much credit ;)

His WHL numbers are great and he has some cool highlights, but I just can't get excited about another small skill forward. Haven't we been trying to win with small skill forwards since 1970? Has it worked yet?

And every now and then I'll read about a prospect who is "small, but plays bigger than he is." That's cool, but I'd rather draft guys who are big and play as big as they are.

And I do realize that by writing this there is now a 100% chance that the Sabres will draft Shinkaruk. So I can look forward to that in June.

Totally agree that Regier's love-fest for small skill forwards has basically killed this team. There is a place for those guys in the NHL, but not as many as we have on this squad.

I feel the biggest issue on this team is not toughness or that the small guys play without heart or are afraid of contact, they aren't, but when then do try to pin the puck deep and forecheck they simply get swatted away like a gnat - its just physics. They then resort to trying to stick-handle their way into the zone and more often than not just get knocked off the puck.

When the futility sets in what you tend to see from the Sabres top lines is a cycle of dumping the puck deep and not even going hard to the wall, rather they just dump it, go off on their change, and let the next shift try to create a turnover in the neutral zone or (more likely) end up getting pinned in our own end by opposing teams that can forecheck. Then the fans are forced to endure most of a period watching them try to dig it out and clear.

That is why we usually see so many more opportunities arise when our 4th line is out there with guys that may not be snipers, but they are not as easily knocked off their feet or off the puck, and they are willing and able to dump it and go hard to the wall to do the dirty work in the corners and in front of the net.

The Sabres need more speed on this team (something that Ennis and Gerbe do seem to do well the rare times they do get a breakout pass), but we desparately need forwards who have enough size and grit to forecheck and not get knocked off the puck so easily. In the years when this team was competitive it was common to see our forwards pin teams down and really cycle the puck creating opportunities on goal, now we are lucky if we see one or two good shifts a game where they actually impose their will in the offensive zone and make the other team scramble or ice it.

At this point, unless the Sabres go into a complete free fall(2 wins or less)) over the last 8 games, it looks like "best" case scenario would be 5th from the bottom with Calgary, Florida, Colorado & Carolina(not in any order) locking up the bottom 4. Even then(1 or 2 wins), the Sabres could maybe only sneak into 4th from the bottom.

...and if they start another meaningless little winning streak :angry: , they could easily end up outside the top 10.

At this point, unless the Sabres go into a complete free fall(2 wins or less)) over the last 8 games, it looks like "best" case scenario would be 5th from the bottom with Calgary, Florida, Colorado & Carolina(not in any order) locking up the bottom 4. Even then(1 or 2 wins), the Sabres could maybe only sneak into 4th from the bottom.

...and if they start other meaningless little winning streak :angry: , they could easily end up outside the top 10.

Dude, this is already underway. The last game against the Jets was the outlier and they they could easily go back to collecting garbage points tonight and this weekend.

Dude, this is already underway. The last game against the Jets was the outlier and they they could easily go back to collecting garbage points tonight and this weekend.

I agree with you, but don't give up hope man!! I have a bit of faith left that these bunch of Sabres can break the curse of pointless late season surges. Keep hope alive!

Totally agree that Regier's love-fest for small skill forwards has basically killed this team. There is a place for those guys in the NHL, but not as many as we have on this squad.

I feel the biggest issue on this team is not toughness or that the small guys play without heart or are afraid of contact, they aren't, but when then do try to pin the puck deep and forecheck they simply get swatted away like a gnat - its just physics. They then resort to trying to stick-handle their way into the zone and more often than not just get knocked off the puck.

When the futility sets in what you tend to see from the Sabres top lines is a cycle of dumping the puck deep and not even going hard to the wall, rather they just dump it, go off on their change, and let the next shift try to create a turnover in the neutral zone or (more likely) end up getting pinned in our own end by opposing teams that can forecheck. Then the fans are forced to endure most of a period watching them try to dig it out and clear.

That is why we usually see so many more opportunities arise when our 4th line is out there with guys that may not be snipers, but they are not as easily knocked off their feet or off the puck, and they are willing and able to dump it and go hard to the wall to do the dirty work in the corners and in front of the net.

The Sabres need more speed on this team (something that Ennis and Gerbe do seem to do well the rare times they do get a breakout pass), but we desparately need forwards who have enough size and grit to forecheck and not get knocked off the puck so easily. In the years when this team was competitive it was common to see our forwards pin teams down and really cycle the puck creating opportunities on goal, now we are lucky if we see one or two good shifts a game where they actually impose their will in the offensive zone and make the other team scramble or ice it.

Thing is, the Sabres aren't even that small anymore. Ennis and Gerbe are the only small guys. And while they're not going to be confused with the toughest team in the league, there's certainly more than a little toughness out there. Problem is they're not particularly talented, So you have a team that's not big but not small, not super-tough but not complete puffballs, fairly slow, and not particularly talented. If that's not a recipe for the exact type of blase hockey we've watched this season, I don't know what is.

I agree with you, but don't give up hope man!! I have a bit of faith left that these bunch of Sabres can break the curse of pointless late season surges. Keep hope alive!

That's the spirit!

Smells like a free fall to me.

I hope they go winless, it's their only hope at a top-3...and even then, I don't see any way they catch the Avs or Flames. Florida has actually been turning things around a little since they started playing Markstrom, but they might be too far ahead to catch. The team that's really surprising me now is Carolina....they are putting on a clinic in tanking! Right now the most likely outcome to me seems to be those being the bottom four, and Buffalo coming in at #5 (I honestly think Philly, Nashville and Tampa all finish better than us). There's still a shot at #4, but it appears less likely with Carolina totally mailing it in. Still, #5 gets you Monahan or Lindolm at worst, and it's possible Barkov is there since Nurse is rising up the rankings and Carolina desperately needs D help.

I hope they go winless, it's their only hope at a top-3...and even then, I don't see any way they catch the Avs or Flames. Florida has actually been turning things around a little since they started playing Markstrom, but they might be too far ahead to catch. The team that's really surprising me now is Carolina....they are putting on a clinic in tanking! Right now the most likely outcome to me seems to be those being the bottom four, and Buffalo coming in at #5 (I honestly think Philly, Nashville and Tampa all finish better than us). There's still a shot at #4, but it appears less likely with Carolina totally mailing it in. Still, #5 gets you Monahan or Lindolm at worst, and it's possible Barkov is there since Nurse is rising up the rankings and Carolina desperately needs D help.

This is where I am. Although I feel like Carolina has to win some of their remaining games. Can a team really just lose 16 games in a row?

With all due respect, I think you're giving the Sabres too much credit ;)

You were saying?

Is hope for the top 3 pick officially dead now?

It would probably suck, but it would also be really exciting to go into next season with Enroth - Hackett goaltending and Drouin out there for us.

All we need is two GM's dumb enough to do the deal (wait a minute, Feaster and Regier). This may happen!

Archived