The other sports thread

Eleven

The Mets are going to lose this game an an absolute bull ###### challenge call. I'm really hating the NFL for bringing this plague into other sports

Seriously, how is Utley safe?  It makes no sense.

If he actually bats again in this series, he needs a fastball in a very painful, not well cushioned place.

It was a late slide, but every player makes that slide all year and it's never called. It's in unwritten rule: we all know that he isn't going for the bag. At the same time the neighborhood rule is one of the longest standing unwritten rules in spots, and to call a challenge on that is absolute garbage. If you can challenge that, then Collins should be able to challenge that Utley was out because he never touched the base

Was Collins unable to challenge it?  What was the reasoning there?  Seems like part of the challenge would be whether Utley was actually SAFE or not, and he definitely was NOT.  You can't frickin be safe if you never touched the bag.

Neighborhood doesn't even matter.  He never touched the bag until he jogged his overpaid, over-the-hill butt back out to 2nd from the dugout.

Seriously, how is Utley safe? It makes no sense.

If he actually bats again in this series, he needs a fastball in a very painful, not well cushioned place.

I mean you can't throw at the guy for playing the game. I'd be pissed off too if it was te Yankees in the Mets place though so I get where you're comin from.

Baseball is this country's oldest sport. Part of what makes it so great is all of the little things. The unwritten rules, the seeds, the big lips, hard slides and close calls, chargin the mound and throwing at a guy. Taking these things away from such an amazing tradition just kills everything that's so great about it

I mean you can't throw at the guy for playing the game. I'd be pissed off too if it was te Yankees in the Mets place though so I get where you're comin from.

Baseball is this country's oldest sport. Part of what makes it so great is all of the little things. The unwritten rules, the seeds, the big lips, hard slides and close calls, chargin the mound and throwing at a guy. Taking these things away from such an amazing tradition just kills everything that's so great about it

Hard slides are ok.  He clearly slid late and after the bag.  There's also an unwritten rule that you don't slide like that and he's known for it.

It's my teams though.  Bills, Sabres, Mets.  Those teams get some damn weird calls go against them even after review.

So glad that MLB trotted out to "explain" that one :rolleyes:

There's also an argument in the rule book that Utley and the batter should have been out.

CRAjEI6WsAA3KRH.jpg

Oh and I love how Cal is sooooo worried about Utley's stupid face after Tejada got carted off the field.  Hey Cal! :censored: :censored: :censored:

News just came in that Tejada has a broken right fibula.

Series could have turned on that unfortunate clusterfudge of events.

Goodnight Sabrespace.  That call changed the entire momentum and gave this game to the Dodgers.  Umpires, referees, etc can directly influence games and series with suspect calls.  Where's Swamp when I need him? Unfortunately probably not watching baseball :P

I thought New Orleans and Indy were in the mix as well, no?

There were 4 finalists; and 1 didn't have an MLB ready/adaptable field. (Hint: former hometown of yours didn't have the field.)

Considering Buffalo had the minor league attendance record and ties to the power brokers (Steinbrenner was fully supportive & Bob Rich has other ties), Buffalo was a favorite. It was our best chance since they chose Montreal because we tore down Offerman. :doh:

You're way too young to be this old :p

OK, I don't even care if anyone reads this, but I have to vent.

Utley and the batter should have been out.  It was obstruction as I pointed out above.  And Utley wasn't attempting to touch the base as evidenced by the fact that he didn't touch the base and went directly for Tejada.  Cut and paste from a MLB.com article: Major League Baseball rules tell them an attempt at touching the bag must be made.  The game should have been 2-1 Mets heading to the 8th.

Second, I love how leagues twist things to justify themselves.  The "neighborhood" play is not reviewable, so to justify even reviewing the play and ridiculously calling Utley safe, they said that it was only a force play and not part of a double play play.  That is ridiculous, as Tejada was going to throw had he not been steamrolled and he had positioned himself to throw away from the bag as middle infielders do and Utley targeted him and not the bag.

I hate being fans of non-favored teams.  These kinds of calls go against the Bills, Sabres, and Mets frequently.  The inevitable logic stretch from the applicable league at the time is even more infuriating than the action.  It was almost impossible for the umps to rule as they did and they had to follow a long, tortured justification to get there.  Sound familiar?

As Swamp says, officials can and do influence games at very convenient times.  If I was a conspiracy theorist I would surmise that MLB did not want their premier TV ratings series between LA and NY teams to go to NY 2-0, and we likely wouldn't see Kershaw and Grienke again.  Totally far out there, right?

Oh and apparently Torre is reviewing it for possible punishment to Utley, but there won't be any.  If they punish Utley, they'd be admitting they got it wrong.

http://www.usnews.com/news/sports/articles/2015/10/11/torre-to-review-utleys-slide-for-possible-discipline

Edited by EastsideOasis

That's not the reason he should have been out.  He reaches for the bag with his hand.  He's allowed to slide late in case the shortstop misses the bag.

But he should have been out because he never touched second before he left the field. 

That's not the reason he should have been out.  He reaches for the bag with his hand.  He's allowed to slide late in case the shortstop misses the bag.

But he should have been out because he never touched second before he left the field. 

It was interference by definition, it was the neighborhood play, he also never touched the base, and it's debatable whether he tried to touch the bag or it was part of his "slide".  He put his arm out to brace himself for his "slide" imo, especially since his slide started AFTER the bag.  There were so many things wrong with that play and MLB got them ALL wrong even after review.

The large majority of MLB players and writers are calling it dirty.  If that had happened to Jeter, we'd have a "Jeter rule" already instituted.  Ala the "Brady rule" in football.

I hate all teams that wear orange. 

And this is exactly why Noah didn't have any room for the Ligers.

There were 4 finalists; and 1 didn't have an MLB ready/adaptable field. (Hint: former hometown of yours didn't have the field.)

Considering Buffalo had the minor league attendance record and ties to the power brokers (Steinbrenner was fully supportive & Bob Rich has other ties), Buffalo was a favorite. It was our best chance since they chose Montreal because we tore down Offerman. :doh:

At the time the movie came out, there were  still 10 cities unofficially in contention for the two new NL spots, the finalists were cut to 6 in 1990.

There was never a time that there were 4 finalists.

It was an educated guess, but they nailed it. Especially considering the team wasn't referred to as "Miami" until 2012.

Edited by Whiskey Bottle of Emotion

And this is exactly why Noah didn't have any room for the Ligers.

At the time the movie came out, there were  still 10 cities unofficially in contention for the two new NL spots, the finalists were cut to 6 in 1990.

There was never a time that there were 4 finalists.

It was an educated guess, but they nailed it. Especially considering the team wasn't referred to as "Miami" until 2012.

Teach me to post while drinking. :doh:

Apparently merged all 3 Fla bids into 1 in memory as MLB wasn't going to add 2 teams in 1 state in a single expansion. :doh:

Ah, Sunday in Northeast Pennsylvania. I've seen 12 Riley Cooper jerseys in the first 5 minutes of being at work.

I'm aware that every fan base in the NFL has their fair share of racist white guys, I just like teasing Pennsyltucky.

Edited by ubkev

It was interference by definition, it was the neighborhood play, he also never touched the base, and it's debatable whether he tried to touch the bag or it was part of his "slide".  He put his arm out to brace himself for his "slide" imo, especially since his slide started AFTER the bag.  There were so many things wrong with that play and MLB got them ALL wrong even after review.

The large majority of MLB players and writers are calling it dirty.  If that had happened to Jeter, we'd have a "Jeter rule" already instituted.  Ala the "Brady rule" in football.

1.  Yeah, I've seen people saying that if it was in the Toronto series, we'd have a "Tulo rule."

2.  You wouldn't be nearly as butthurt about this if it wasn't the Mets.

What's the point of coach's challenges and reviews if you can't get things correct in real time? MLB , by suspending Utley, admits they got it completely wrong. And of course he's appealing anyway.

###### you Utley. ###### you MLB.

MLB, by suspending Utley, is bowing to public pressure, and nothing more.  It's like the NHL fining Rolston for player selection.

1.  Yeah, I've seen people saying that if it was in the Toronto series, we'd have a "Tulo rule."

2.  You wouldn't be nearly as butthurt about this if it wasn't the Mets.

MLB, by suspending Utley, is bowing to public pressure, and nothing more.  It's like the NHL fining Rolston for player selection.

1. Probably right.  I couldn't think of any superstar level SS around today ala Jeter.  I guess Tulo comes closest.

2. Correct.  I wouldn't even be watching.  I haven't watched a baseball playoff game in years prior to this series.  But what difference does that point even make?  Utley's slide isn't more acceptable just because I'm a Mets fan.  If that happened in any other year there would still be an uproar. 

It was dirty and MLB got the call completely wrong and likely cost the Mets a playoff game.  My point is leagues get stuff right in hindsight sometimes, but that does nothing.  The Mets don't get to go to the 8th up 2-1 like what should have happened.  I'm glad public pressure helped them come to their senses, even if the action was way too little, way to late.  At least it forced MLB to admit they got it wrong.  Their actions show that they got the call wrong when it mattered.

All pro leagues suck.  I'm glad you agree.  That's one of my main points and they are all making their products more and more unwatchable, especially to the non-homer fan.  I haven't watched any sporting event not involving my teams except for the football (NFL and college) championships for years.  Why bother?  It's an endless commercial and not worth the casual fan's time to take 4 hours per game and/or stay up until the wee hours of the morning to watch a boring, crooked product.