The other sports thread

Eleven

My backwoods hometown of Lancaster NY is officially no longer the Redskins and I could not be happier. About time. This has been a long fight. 

I honestly never thought it would happen.  I'm curious if there will be backlash at election time.  

I honestly never thought it would happen.  I'm curious if there will be backlash at election time.  

I doubt it. At the end of the day, if people want to deny the children of their community an education then they're the biggest scumbags on the island. The Lancaster School Board under Ken Graber has done an excellent job over the years. The public would be insane to remove them over something so trivial. 

I doubt it. At the end of the day, if people want to deny the children of their community an education then they're the biggest scumbags on the island. The Lancaster School Board under Ken Graber has done an excellent job over the years. The public would be insane to remove them over something so trivial. 

It's like you've never seen how stupid people can be about trivial things. :) I saw plenty of anger on my FB feed last night, including an awesome brother comment-fight about how "Redskin is a totally not-deragatory term" "Um, yeah it is" "Well, let's call them the White Faces then, I won't get offended" "Yeah, it's easy to not get offended when our race has been in charge for the last 500 years".

Edited by Met'yuPirog

I understand why folks in Lancaster don't want to change the name.  I understand it, but I do not agree with it.  They grew up told to be proud to be a Redskin.  To be proud of their community, their school.  To be a Redskin.  Always a Redskin.  etc. etc.  Now someone comes along and tells them that what they were raised to be proud of is something that they shouldn't be proud of at all.  That the thing that symbolizes what they are proud of is offensive.  Noone wants to admit that the thing they were raised to be proud of is offensive.  So I am not surprised that there is plenty of lashing out at the movement to change the name.  But at the end of the day, changing the name is the right thing to do.

I understand why folks in Lancaster don't want to change the name.  I understand it, but I do not agree with it.  They grew up told to be proud to be a Redskin.  To be proud of their community, their school.  To be a Redskin.  Always a Redskin.  etc. etc.  Now someone comes along and tells them that what they were raised to be proud of is something that they shouldn't be proud of at all.  That the thing that symbolizes what they are proud of is offensive.  Noone wants to admit that the thing they were raised to be proud of is offensive.  So I am not surprised that there is plenty of lashing out at the movement to change the name.  But at the end of the day, changing the name is the right thing to do.

Yeah, it'll be fine.  In a couple of years, they'll be proud to be Red Raiders or Bluefin Tuna or Seagulls or whatever they come up with.

I was told to be proud to be a Republican when I was growing up. :bag:  (I know this isn't the place for that joke, but I can't resist)

I wish I could believe your version is what's going on, but none of the stuff I saw on FB last night lends to that. It was much more of a "we like the name and I don't think anyone is really offended by it it's just a bunch of PC nonsense" feel to the comments. You can be proud of you school and community without getting tied up in the name. Maybe it's me or the complete lack of success sports teams at the schools I've attended, but if the Iroquois Chiefs or UB Bulls suddenly had to change their names it wouldn't bother me in the least.

Edited by Met'yuPirog

I was told to be proud to be a Republican when I was growing up. :bag:  (I know this isn't the place for that joke, but I can't resist)

I wish I could believe your version is what's going on, but none of the stuff I saw on FB last night lends to that. It was much more of a "we like the name and I don't think anyone is really offended by it it's just a bunch of PC nonsense" feel to the comments. You can be proud of you school and community without getting tied up in the name. Maybe it's me or the complete lack of success sports teams at the schools I've attended, but if the Iroquois Chiefs or UB Bulls suddenly had to change their names it wouldn't bother me in the least.

It's all an attempt to justify the pride they have.  They don't want to admit that they shouldn't be proud of what they grew up with.

Good idea or bad idea...going with a group to 716 for the UB game tomorrow. I feel like we're basically dooming ourselves to being stuck outside or needing to go elsewhere, but I think it'd be a great place to watch the game if we can get a decent spot.

My gut says it's far enough away from UB that it won't be mobbed. Unless students have started to use the light rail to get places.

My gut says it's far enough away from UB that it won't be mobbed. Unless students have started to use the light rail to get places.

I don't think people in Amherst are aware of public transportation.

You might be alright since the game is during work hours. It will probably still be busy, but not as bad as if the game was at 7pm tonight.

anytime touch down Jesus loses at anything, it a good day, a very good day, as for winning the ACC, a blind hog does find a  acorn every once in awhile, which reminds me how many Big East Crowns did they win

Edited by rumblefish

did they win, or have they won in the past was the question, but in the present, didn't a under manned Cuse team beat the ACC champs Golden Dormers this year, I will save you the response, the answer is yes, yes, yes,

Indeed they did. Only game of the year I don't root for 'Cuse.