The other sports thread

Eleven

6 hours ago, ubkev said:

And they're all *****!

I don't think the Lakers have worn their Los Lakers jersey in a couple years. But come on!? The city's name is already Spanish. 

The Knicks "City that never sleeps" jersey might be on par with the worst in the league. It's black. That's just as dumb as when they wore ***** green.

I did know that, because Walt Clyde Frazier tells me it just about every time the Bucks play the Knicks. Lol

Many of the “city” jerseys are fantastic but those Knicks ones are hot garbage.

19 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Many of the “city” jerseys are fantastic but those Knicks ones are hot garbage.

Awful!

The Miami one is so horrible that it's amazing. At least I laughed every time I saw it.

23 minutes ago, ubkev said:

Awful!

The Miami one is so horrible that it's amazing. At least I laughed every time I saw it.

The NBA does a great job marketing and even if some of these jerseys are ridiculous most redesigns they’ve done have been great.

2 minutes ago, Hoss said:

The NBA does a great job marketing and even if some of these jerseys are ridiculous most redesigns they’ve done have been great.

It feels like they put out 30 brand new jerseys every single year. Sometimes more. Some are hits, some not so much.

17 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Agreed, they do a lot of things right. I just wish there was some parity

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

Never has been any, never will be any. Teams win in bunches. In my 36 years there have only been 11 different NBA champions.

MLB has had 20. NHL and the NFL both have had 17 different champions since 1985.

2 minutes ago, ubkev said:

Never has been any, never will be any. Teams win in bunches. In my 36 years there have only been 11 different NBA champions.

MLB has had 20. NHL and the NFL both have had 17 different champions since 1985.

And the NFL is an oddity because of NE

I meant more so even the playoffs themselves. Since 2000, here are the seeds of the winning team

1, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 2, 1, 3,  1, 1, 1, 3, 2, 2, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 1, 1

26 minutes ago, WildCard said:

And the NFL is an oddity because of NE

I meant more so even the playoffs themselves. Since 2000, here are the seeds of the winning team

1, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 2, 1, 3,  1, 1, 1, 3, 2, 2, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 1, 1

What was it that Commissioner David Stern said? His ideal Finals match-up is Lakers vs Lakers.

Mobbed up refs and the commissioner himself openly rooting for specific match-ups. You can't have parity when that's how the league has been run for multiple generations.

40 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Lakers is just a dumb name for a team in LA.

I get that they moved from Minneehaha, but change it damn it!!

Also, the Jazz makes zero sense in Utah.

Always said the Pelicans should've been called the "Fighting Mormons."  And then the owner should've called the owner of the Jazz and asked "wanna make a deal."  😉

2 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Lakers is just a dumb name for a team in LA.

I get that they moved from Minneehaha, but change it damn it!!

Also, the Jazz makes zero sense in Utah.

You don't strike me as the kind to have watched Baseketball, but you should watch this clip.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, WildCard said:

There's as much talent in basketball right now as there ever has been (the same will be true ten years from now, probably) but there's still not enough talent to foster parity, really. There are few true game changers that turn teams into contenders and without those guys it's hard to compete - and those guys are signing places like Memphis or Orlando.

There's some good parity in the league this year, though. Lakers are already on the brink of elimination. If they lose that automatically means we'll have a champion the league hasn't seen since at least 2011 (Mavericks won that one, they lead the Clippers 3-2 right now). Other than that one Dallas championship no other remaining team has won it since 1983 (Philadelphia).

2 hours ago, ubkev said:

It's the NBA. I'll be shocked if the lead isn't 5 points or less at the half.

Your conspiracy theory proved (and has proven) to be false, would ya look at that! (Stats never back this stuff up, it's all in your head)

7 hours ago, Hoss said:

Your conspiracy theory proved (and has proven) to be false, would ya look at that! (Stats never back this stuff up, it's all in your head)

What conspiracy? That the NBA is a league of runs and that big leads disappearing isn't strange at all?

Speaking of the NBA, does anyone here pull for the Clippers since they started in Buffalo?

Basketball is the big 4 sport I care least about and never really pay attention to.  I was pulling for Cleveland the year they won with LBJ, but that's mostly by association of my uncle living near Cleveland when I was growing up partially endearing me to their teams (which is a big reason I'm an Indians fan, further entrenched by their Bison-affiliated years).

58 minutes ago, JujuFish said:

Speaking of the NBA, does anyone here pull for the Clippers since they started in Buffalo?

Basketball is the big 4 sport I care least about and never really pay attention to.  I was pulling for Cleveland the year they won with LBJ, but that's mostly by association of my uncle living near Cleveland when I was growing up partially endearing me to their teams (which is a big reason I'm an Indians fan, further entrenched by their Bison-affiliated years).

Funny story. The Braves are the Celtics. Braves owner John Brown traded franchises with Celtics owner Irv Levin, because Levin wanted to move his team to his home state, and there's no moving the Celtics out of Boston. So they did a big 6 player trade and then swapped franchises then the Braves new owner moved em to San Diego, which I believe is German for....

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, ubkev said:

Funny story. The Braves are the Celtics. Braves owner John Brown traded franchises with Celtics owner Irv Levin, because Levin wanted to move his team to his home state, and there's no moving the Celtics out of Boston. So they did a big 6 player trade and then swapped franchises then the Braves new owner moved em to San Diego, which I believe is German for....

Please don't tell me I should be cheering for a Boston team.  I don't think my mental state can handle it! 😛