The other sports thread

Eleven

4 minutes ago, JujuFish said:

Please don't tell me I should be cheering for a Boston team.  I don't think my mental state can handle it! 😛

Haha, nah. Just a funny little anecdote that I heard somewhere. But how many times do franchises get traded. Gotta be pretty rare? Weren't the Colts traded for the Rams? Can't think of any in modern baseball or hockey.

3 hours ago, ubkev said:

Haha, nah. Just a funny little anecdote that I heard somewhere. But how many times do franchises get traded. Gotta be pretty rare? Weren't the Colts traded for the Rams? Can't think of any in modern baseball or hockey.

Those are the only 2 that immediately spring to mind.

1 minute ago, Hoss said:

I thought the insinuation you were making was that the NBA was rigging games.

Not outright. 

That statement was just saying that big leads evaporate in the NBA. Only takes 3 minutes and a hot shooter. One team misses 2 shots and it can be a 9-0 run going the other way. If they do that twice it's right back to a close game.

• Like (+1) 1

I honestly just love tennis. I only watch the majors really but all of them, both men's and women's draws. It's such a fun sport, so much great 1-on-1 psychology. I frankly can't wrap my mind around how athletic they are, that cardio, to have such long matches for hours on end 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Thorny said:

I honestly just love tennis. I only watch the majors really but all of them, both men's and women's draws. It's such a fun sport, so much great 1-on-1 psychology. I frankly can't wrap my mind around how athletic they are, that cardio, to have such long matches for hours on end 

I'm a Nadal fan.  And Nadal on clay is tennis perfection.  Going for his 14th French title.  That's crazy.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Thwomp! said:

I'm a Nadal fan.  And Nadal on clay is tennis perfection.  Going for his 14th French title.  That's crazy.

That's the other awesome thing about tennis. We are watching 3 players right now all battling not just for best today, but ALL TIME! I can't think of ever seeing that before. That's like if Tiger Woods and Jack Nicklaus and Ben Hogan all played together 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

That's the other awesome thing about tennis. We are watching 3 players right now all battling not just for best today, but ALL TIME! I can't think of ever seeing that before. That's like if Tiger Woods and Jack Nicklaus and Ben Hogan all played together 

Yep.  I think Federer is done winning Grand Slams, but I guess you never know.  Djokovic and Nadal is always a good matchup.  And history if it's a Grand Slam event.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Thwomp! said:

Yep.  I think Federer is done winning Grand Slams, but I guess you never know.  Djokovic and Nadal is always a good matchup.  And history if it's a Grand Slam event.

Good start for Nadal today

1 hour ago, Thwomp! said:

And that's a big part of why the French is dull.  (Along with slower play due to the surface.)

Maybe if they limited how many times he could rub his ears between serves somebody else might have a chance.  😉

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

I don't watch much tennis, but it really is crazy.  58 grand slam titles between just the three of them.

And, absurdly, only a single career grand slam for each. Djokovic and Federer are both 1-4 at the French Open finals, and Nadal is 1-4 at the Australian Open finals.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Thwomp! said:

If this chair umpire doesn't become a meme, I'll be surprised.   She's a badass! 😂

OK, I've watched a decent amount of tennis in my life, and I've never seen a chair umpire do this.  Now at least 3 times already she's marched out and pointed to where the ball landed.  She's gotta be trolling us at this point. 😂