The other sports thread

Eleven

6 hours ago, #freejame said:

What a joke of a design. The whole place looks bad from every angle. 

Artificial turf on a baseball field in 2021 is the most ridiculous decision ever. What garbage.

The rangers asked themselves "hey, what are the worst stadiums currently in MLB? Oh, Toronto and Tampa? We can do worse!

51 minutes ago, inkman said:

I either don’t listen to commercials or don’t watch them.  

I can’t say I’ve ever noticed this either. Maybe it’s a Mandela Paradox thing. 

4 minutes ago, ubkev said:

Artificial turf on a baseball field in 2021 is the most ridiculous decision ever. What garbage.

The rangers asked themselves "hey, what are the worst stadiums currently in MLB? Oh, Toronto and Tampa? We can do worse!

Slightly tangential but if you’re into stadiums and architecture I got a great book for Christmas called Ballparks that goes through the evolution of Major League Baseball stadiums. It’s a pretty long book but it’s an interesting read. 

17 minutes ago, #freejame said:

I can’t say I’ve ever noticed this either. Maybe it’s a Mandela Paradox thing. 

Slightly tangential but if you’re into stadiums and architecture I got a great book for Christmas called Ballparks that goes through the evolution of Major League Baseball stadiums. It’s a pretty long book but it’s an interesting read. 

Sounds fun, I'll check it out.

I don't know if anybody caught it but the Lakers-Warriors was great TV tonight. Lakers started off freezing cold but stayed in it despite Steph Curry lighting it up. LeBron with another killer play in the clutch hitting a DEEEEEP three to win the game, once again proving he's the best to ever do it.

4 hours ago, Hoss said:

I don't know if anybody caught it but the Lakers-Warriors was great TV tonight. Lakers started off freezing cold but stayed in it despite Steph Curry lighting it up. LeBron with another killer play in the clutch hitting a DEEEEEP three to win the game, once again proving he's the best to ever do it.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I remember Nicklaus winning the Masters in 1986 at 46. 46! He was a very old man to me at the time.

Pretty impressive for Nicklaus considering Phil's only 4 years older and 46 then was older than 46 now. Of course the lack of relative competition, that depth of field was just not there in Jack's time, aiding that longevity (Tiger prime > Jack's prime (and I don't think it's particularly close)): I don't think anyone approaches the mark of 18 he set. Just out of reach at this point considering how the game is changed - kinda like how no one will approach Gretzky's 215 points in a season, though someone like McDavid is as talented or more so. 

Edited by Thorny

Just started watching Formula 1 Racing this year after watching the Netflix series about the sport. Amazing show got me pumped to watch some races. 

The Monaco Grand Prix was today and after 4 races I'm narrowing in on a favorite driver. 

I refuse to go with the perennial champion Lewis Hamilton although its pretty  obvious why he has won so many championships.

Max Verstappen is really good, a rising star and was featured on the Netflix show so he's easy to root for.

Charles LeClerc is young and talented and driving for Ferrari which has the best looking car IMO.

Mick Schumacher is the son of a legend but mostly just riding around the track learning how to drive an F1 car.

Lando Norris come on down. Cool name.  Young. Fast. Fun. Driving for McClaren right now which is underrated in the constructor category. 

Fun sport. Expensive though!! 

Edited by Norcal

On 5/21/2021 at 3:48 PM, steveoath said:

Ooft. This could be the goal that keeps my team in the 2nd tier of Scottish football. We are in the relegation playoffs.

What language is that?

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I remember Nicklaus winning the Masters in 1986 at 46. 46! He was a very old man to me at the time.

Dude, you were like 40 in 1986 and we all know it.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Norcal said:

Just started watching Formula 1 Racing this year after watching the Netflix series about the sport. Amazing show got me pumped to watch some races. 

The Monaco Grand Prix was today and after 4 races I'm narrowing in on a favorite driver. 

I refuse to go with the perennial champion Lewis Hamilton although its pretty  obvious why he has won so many championships.

Max Verstappen is really good, a rising star and was featured on the Netflix show so he's easy to root for.

Charles LeClerc is young and talented and driving for Ferrari which has the best looking car IMO.

Mick Schumacher is the son of a legend but mostly just riding around the track learning how to drive an F1 car.

Lando Norris come on down. Cool name.  Young. Fast. Fun. Driving for McClaren right now which is underrated in the constructor category. 

Fun sport. Expensive though!! 

You'd be pretty pleased with a podium finish then.  Of course the field did benefit from Leclerc and Bottas dropping out.  There's basically no passing in Monaco so unless you screw up you almost end like you finish.

27 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I want to watch playoff hockey but this PGA championship is too thrilling right now. It's still wide open but crazy back and forth between Lefty and noted Chet, Brooks Koepka. 

Great chip in by Lefty out of the sand

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, LTS said:

You'd be pretty pleased with a podium finish then.  Of course the field did benefit from Leclerc and Bottas dropping out.  There's basically no passing in Monaco so unless you screw up you almost end like you finish.

Yeah it was a pretty bland race overall but Leclerc blowing his gearbox and Botas having his wheel stuck helped Verstappen no doubt. I didn't see why Hamilton was so down in the field but that was huge as well. 

21 hours ago, Norcal said:

Yeah it was a pretty bland race overall but Leclerc blowing his gearbox and Botas having his wheel stuck helped Verstappen no doubt. I didn't see why Hamilton was so down in the field but that was huge as well. 

Monaco is bland.  It's really about qualifying.  Once you are in the race its about not getting boned by a safety car incident, making a mental mistake, or being the victim of someone else's mistake.

Hamilton had a bad qualifier and that was that.  He couldn't get the car up into the top of the group. Only a few positions in the race actually changed from top to bottom. Most drivers finished where they qualified (given the 2 position bump from Leclerc and Bottas DNF)

It was way better two weeks prior when Hamilton's pit strategy worked out and he was able to catch and pass Verstappen.