The other sports thread

Eleven

These NBA Finals are terrible. Cleveland couldn't be more overmatched if they tried. Their only hope is to do what they did last year: go big, grind it out, cut down on the number of possessions in the game. I know that's polar opposite of what they did since Lue took over, but they simply don't have the athleticism and shooting depth to play run n gun against the Warriors.

Oh, and it cannot be emphasized enough just how much of a liability Love and Irving are defensively. GS running seemingly non-stop pick n rolls at them.

These NBA Finals are terrible. Cleveland couldn't be more overmatched if they tried. Their only hope is to do what they did last year: go big, grind it out, cut down on the number of possessions in the game. I know that's polar opposite of what they did since Lue took over, but they simply don't have the athleticism and shooting depth to play run n gun against the Warriors.

Oh, and it cannot be emphasized enough just how much of a liability Love and Irving are defensively. GS running seemingly non-stop pick n rolls at them.

Come on. It's only 100-68 right now.

Maria Sharapova just got suspended from tennis for 2 years for failing a drug test. She tested positive for a Latvian manufactured drug called Meldonium. Evidently, the only people testing positive for this drug are eastern Europeans. The drug enhances blood flow and endurance. How long before a NHL player gets popped?

I should add that the drug is new the the WADA banned list for 2016. Does the NHL even go by WADA standards?

Edited by ubkev

And it's a horrible game. Figures. Dear NBA and NHL: would it kill you to give us competitive games?

I'm entertained. James has been fun tonight. Smith as well.

I also want to note that I have no idea what traveling is anymore. I've seen guys basically cradle the ball and run through the key like a running back, and nothing.

I'm entertained. James has been fun tonight. Smith as well.I also want to note that I have no idea what traveling is anymore. I've seen guys basically cradle the ball and run through the key like a running back, and nothing.

You watching an old Bulls game on ESPN Classic? :p

I also want to note that I have no idea what traveling is anymore. I've seen guys basically cradle the ball and run through the key like a running back, and nothing.

I'll put this in terms you'll understand: it's the NBA's version of obstruction.

I admit to not knowing what "the key" is.

I follow baseball in only the most casual and superficial way. My greatest level of familiarity with the sport was in the early and mid 80s when I would pass idle summer days by watching the Yankees on WPIX.

Anyhoo. I saw a highlight indicating that the college world series (or the regionals or something?) was visited with a "bat flipping" controversy. Someone flipped their bat after hitting a grand slam, and there was a bench clearing and a lot of shouting and finger pointing.

This is similar to the thing that happened with the Jays last year in the playoffs, right?

The fact that a bat flip is, to some (many (most?)), a verboten expression of emotion in baseball is the most baseball thing ever. Which is to say that it's arbitrary, antiquated, and more than a little dumb.

Yeah, if more people flipped bats and stared down the pitcher after cranking a home run and did fun stuff like that, I'd be a lot more inclined to spend time watching the sport. People get on Curry for turning away as soon as he shoots a 3 pointer, and football players for celebrating touchdowns, but I want more of that. One of my favorite regular season NHL memories is Ovechkin's "stick on fire" celebration. 

Yeah, if more people flipped bats and stared down the pitcher after cranking a home run and did fun stuff like that, I'd be a lot more inclined to spend time watching the sport. People get on Curry for turning away as soon as he shoots a 3 pointer, and football players for celebrating touchdowns, but I want more of that. One of my favorite regular season NHL memories is Ovechkin's "stick on fire" celebration. 

Agreed, sports are supposed to be fun. It's why I like Harper so much

I follow baseball in only the most casual and superficial way. My greatest level of familiarity with the sport was in the early and mid 80s when I would pass idle summer days by watching the Yankees on WPIX.

Anyhoo. I saw a highlight indicating that the college world series (or the regionals or something?) was visited with a "bat flipping" controversy. Someone flipped their bat after hitting a grand slam, and there was a bench clearing and a lot of shouting and finger pointing.

This is similar to the thing that happened with the Jays last year in the playoffs, right?

The fact that a bat flip is, to some (many (most?)), a verboten expression of emotion in baseball is the most baseball thing ever. Which is to say that it's arbitrary, antiquated, and more than a little dumb.

Pretty sure it wasn't the bat flip that pissed BC off but rather the little dance thing he did before crossing the plate & whatever he said to the catcher.