The other sports thread

Eleven

They showed some major flaws against a bigger, more athletic OKC team. 

OKC is more athletic than Cleveland, I think. Though Cleveland is definitely a better 3-point team, so that probably offsets it. I just don't think Cleveland can play defense like OKC, and with Steph apparently snapping out of his mini-slump...

From someone who doesn't watch basketball much:

Warriors usually have no trouble spreading the floor, but OKC is extremely athletic and can cover them when they do. I would imagine Lebron is better at that than anyone on OKC, because he's a freak, and so I think some of GS's problems this series will continue to be present. Not sure who wins, rooting for Cavs.

Again, I have no effing clue what I'm talking about here.

LeBron is better than anyone on OKC, but OKC probably has the next 3 best defenders. Love and Irving are both legitimately bad defensively, with Love bordering on the NBA equivalent of Hodgson.

OKC is more athletic than Cleveland, I think. Though Cleveland is definitely a better 3-point team, so that probably offsets it. I just don't think Cleveland can play defense like OKC, and with Steph apparently snapping out of his mini-slump...

LeBron is better than anyone on OKC, but OKC probably has the next 3 best defenders. Love and Irving are both legitimately bad defensively, with Love bordering on the NBA equivalent of Hodgson.

Then I hope Curry goes back into his slump, I really wanna see Cleveland win something. (Not the Browns, though, at least until the Bills do)

Though watching Clay in game 6 makes me think that wouldn't matter much

Then I hope Curry goes back into his slump, I really wanna see Cleveland win something. (Not the Browns, though, at least until the Bills do)

Though watching Clay in game 6 makes me think that wouldn't matter much

I'm torn. I do want Cleveland to win, and I want LeBron to get another ring...but watching arguably the best team of all time cap off the best season of all time? Man, that'd be pretty awesome to witness as a fan of the sport.

I'm torn. I do want Cleveland to win, and I want LeBron to get another ring...but watching arguably the best team of all time cap off the best season of all time? Man, that'd be pretty awesome to witness as a fan of the sport.

It's all about Cleveland for me. Plus, I like the intrigue of best record and failed postseason. I really don't think GS can stack up to the teams of the past

It's all about Cleveland for me. Plus, I like the intrigue of best record and failed postseason. I really don't think GS can stack up to the teams of the past

It's just impossible to know, I think. How different would past great teams play given what we know today about the 3 point shot? How different would coaches coach? And so on. Just a fun factoid on this note:

Steph and Klay hit 30 threes combined in the last 2 games. The 1986 Finals had 17 made threes total.

Screw Lebron James. I don't watch basketball much at all and haven't watched a single minute this season but I hope Lebron never wins another game again for the rest of his life. I hope Curry and GS run up the score on Cleveland and every game is a blowout and they come out with a new gif or jpeg of Lebron whining and crying like a little bitch.

Edited by Drunkard

Screw Lebron James. I don't watch basketball much at all and haven't watched a single minute this season but I hope Lebron never wins another game again for the rest of his life. I hope Curry and GS run up the score on Cleveland and every game is a blowout and they come out with a new gif or jpeg of Lebron whining and crying like a little bitch.

I'm ok with this.

I admit, I don't understand the LeBron hate. I understood it in the immediate aftermath of The Decision, but that was quite awhile ago. Enlighten me.

That's pretty much all it is.  That, and he's ubiquitous, and it's annoying.

Edited by Eleven

I admit, I don't understand the LeBron hate. I understood it in the immediate aftermath of The Decision, but that was quite awhile ago. Enlighten me.

Same here.

Also, I am not sure how you can be from, of Buffalo and not have love for Cleveland. 

I am all for LeBron getting one for The Land.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tg-Vxe8UXg

And this one? This one (still) makes me feel all the feels.

I know. I know. It's a sneaker ad. Whatever.

/wipes away tear(s)

I find myself in a weird place with LeBron. I loved him when he came into the league. Despised him awfully after "the decision". I can't quite place how I feel about him now. I'll be rooting for Cleveland as I've developed a strong hatred of Golden State.

It has nothing to do with Cleveland. If he wasn't on the team I'd have no problem with them winning. That whole Decision nonsense is what made me hate his guts. The whole charity angle was just an excuse for him to make a big show out of leaving the Cavs to go to Miami of all horrible places and it was nothing but attention and grandstanding. that guy. He should die in a fire (and I mean that in a good wholesome Christian way).

I find myself in a weird place with LeBron. I loved him when he came into the league. Despised him awfully after "the decision". I can't quite place how I feel about him now. I'll be rooting for Cleveland as I've developed a strong hatred of Golden State.

Setting aside the GS hate, this is exactly where I'm at - especially in just pulling for Cleveland.

"The Decision" was one of the more repugnant and stupid things a modern celebrity-athlete has ever done. Maybe among the dumbest any of them ever will do. In fact, it was so stupid and awful, that I'm somehow more prepared to forgive the guy for doing it, if that makes sense. There's a special kind of blindness, or tone deafness, that intense fame and adulation can create in people - especially when it starts at a young age. LeBron was being dubbed as the second coming when he was still in high school. The Decision struck me as a product of that sort of "impairment". I think he came to understand the mistake he'd made, at least on some level. And his returning to Cleveland is a redemption story that I can support.

It has nothing to do with Cleveland. If he wasn't on the team I'd have no problem with them winning. That whole Decision nonsense is what made me hate his guts. The whole charity angle was just an excuse for him to make a big show out of leaving the Cavs to go to Miami of all horrible places and it was nothing but attention ###### and grandstanding. ###### that guy. He should die in a fire (and I mean that in a good wholesome Christian way).

I'm more confused by the passion your hatred exudes given the fact that you don't watch the sport

Setting aside the GS hate, this is exactly where I'm at - especially in just pulling for Cleveland.

"The Decision" was one of the more repugnant and stupid things a modern celebrity-athlete has ever done. Maybe among the dumbest any of them ever will do. In fact, it was so stupid and awful, that I'm somehow more prepared to forgive the guy for doing it, if that makes sense. There's a special kind of blindness, or tone deafness, that intense fame and adulation can create in people - especially when it starts at a young age. LeBron was being dubbed as the second coming when he was still in high school. The Decision struck me as a product of that sort of "impairment". I think he came to understand the mistake he'd made, at least on some level. And his returning to Cleveland is a redemption story that I can support.

This is in part why I've just gotten over the whole thing. Within reason, I'd like to think we aren't to be eternally damned for our worst choice. Finding LeBron an irredeemable evil because of The Decision is, to me, the worst form of judgmental. All accounts of him off the court speak to a solid set of values and him being a good father. He made one giant mistake and it was broadcast on national television, but the totality of his life and actions do not speak to him being the spawn of Satan.

This is in part why I've just gotten over the whole thing. Within reason, I'd like to think we aren't to be eternally damned for our worst choice. Finding LeBron an irredeemable evil because of The Decision is, to me, the worst form of judgmental. All accounts of him off the court speak to a solid set of values and him being a good father. He made one giant mistake and it was broadcast on national television, but the totality of his life and actions do not speak to him being the spawn of Satan.

Let us all be more, and far better, than the worst choice(s) we've ever made.

I'm more confused by the passion your hatred exudes given the fact that you don't watch the sport

What can I say, it's a gift. I can easily name a dozen or more professional athletes I hate more than him, but none play basketball. He's the main reason I stopped watching espn and it sucks that I still pay anywhere from 6 to 15 bucks of my directv bill each month for it and I don't even watch it. It's not his fault channels aren't offered a la carte but I still hate the man and hope he gets aids or ass cancer or something horrible. Then throw his decaying carcass on the pile with the corpses of Tom Brady, Bill Belichick, Dan Marino, Bryan Cox, Chris Neil, Jerry Jones, Milan Lucic, and some others that are too numerous to name and purge the earth of them all at once. I know it'll never happen, but the thought of it makes me smile.

Turns out everyone realizes ESPN blows now

According to 2016 Nielsen data ESPN lost over 1.5 million subscribers from February to the end of May this year. That drops ESPN to 89,465,000 subscriber homes, a precipitous decline from the network's total number of 2013 subscribers which was over 99 million. Based on these numbers over the past four months ESPN lost an average of 10,400 subscribers a day.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/espn-loses-1-5-million-subscribers-as-cord-cutting-accelerates-052816

TBF though, a lot of that has to do with people opting out of cable packages. Article also discusses how this will make cable packages more expensive as ESPN tries to recoup its losses

Turns out everyone realizes ESPN blows now

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/espn-loses-1-5-million-subscribers-as-cord-cutting-accelerates-052816

TBF though, a lot of that has to do with people opting out of cable packages. Article also discusses how this will make cable packages more expensive as ESPN tries to recoup its losses

I can't remember the last time I turned on ESPN and actually saw a sport being played.

Oh, man. LTS is sooooo gonna scold Drunkard now.

But I said I meant it in a good Christian way. Doesn't invoking Jesus give you carte blanche to say basically anything offensive you want? The GOP uses it to discriminate against gay people, transgenders, climate change, and anything scientific so I should as least be able to use it to wish for my list of hated sport people to get tumors in their butts that somehow also get stricken with aids.

But I said I meant it in a good Christian way. Doesn't invoking Jesus give you carte blanche to say basically anything offensive you want? The GOP uses it to discriminate against gay people, transgenders, climate change, and anything scientific so I should as least be able to use it to wish for my list of hated sport people to get tumors in their butts that somehow also get stricken with aids.

Would it kill you to not snarkily bring politics and religion into the sports threads?