The other sports thread

Eleven

Turns out everyone realizes ESPN blows now

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/espn-loses-1-5-million-subscribers-as-cord-cutting-accelerates-052816

TBF though, a lot of that has to do with people opting out of cable packages. Article also discusses how this will make cable packages more expensive as ESPN tries to recoup its losses

ESPN is on top of it.  It already sells through sling tv and will undoubtedly begin selling a la carte streaming once its current contracts expire.  Of course, it's still a station, but whatever.

But I said I meant it in a good Christian way. Doesn't invoking Jesus give you carte blanche to say basically anything offensive you want? The GOP uses it to discriminate against gay people, transgenders, climate change, and anything scientific so I should as least be able to use it to wish for my list of hated sport people to get tumors in their butts that somehow also get stricken with aids.

Would it kill you to not snarkily bring politics and religion into the sports threads?

Drunkard, even though I agree with your position on politics and *somewhat* on LeBron (I don't think I have quite the same umm, level? of dislike for him), TrueBlue is right on this one.

The PGA tour is moving the world golf classic from Doral in Miami (owned by Donald Trump) to Mexico City. Cadillac dropped them as a sponsor, and the PGA couldn't find a replacement, so they decided to move. A sign of things to come?

Would it kill you to not snarkily bring politics and religion into the sports threads?

Tough crowd. Topics bleed into other topics sometimes. It happens. However, if my post impeded your desire to compartmentalize that much, I'll get back on topic. Lebron sucks and he never deserves to win another game. If that means the other mistake by the lake (Cleveland) doesn't win another game because of it, then so be it. I just don't see any reason to root for him whatsoever. What's more, the guy's ego is over inflated as it is. Him being the primary reason for the Cavs to get their first championship would only give that douchebag even more of a messiah complex. Is that what you want? Not I, so until my brain evolves the power to dole out tumors and/or some sort of super aids to my enemies which just an ill thought pointed in a deserved direction I have to be content with hoping Golden States runs the table on that prima donna and turns him back into the whiny crybaby that he is.

Edited by Drunkard

The PGA tour is moving the world golf classic from Doral in Miami (owned by Donald Trump) to Mexico City. Cadillac dropped them as a sponsor, and the PGA couldn't find a replacement, so they decided to move. A sign of things to come?

I lied, Cadillac didn't drop the PGA, their contact expired.

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/pga-tour-moves-golf-event-from-donald-trumps-doral-to-mexico-city/

LeBron out-performs Curry & Thompson combined in every offensive statistic...Warriors win by 15. Somehow, somebody out there is going to blame LeBron when the Cavs lose this series.

I'm surprised to see you cite that as a stat in support of LeBron. I didn't watch that game until the bitter end, but I know damn well why Curry and Thompson didn't do much: They didn't have to do much. Because feckin' Sean (Shaun? Shawn?) Livingston and other members of the G.S. bench outscored the Cavs bench by ~40.

But I agree with you that LeBron is not to blame. Having 2 other members of his big 3 who can't defend worth a damn is what is going to kill them. Love can hum the tune (but is still not good), but I did not understand before last night what a complete tire fire Irving is on defense. Holy Moses. I'm not a sophisticated basketball fan by any means, but even I could see what an absolute liability he is. Just awful.

More generally, the Cavs need to come up with a better team plan for defending GS -- otherwise, this series will be over in short order.

LeBron is one of the greatest players of all time. I DO think there could be an interesting discussion about him being the greatest of all time when all is said and done.

I get the hate from the Miami days but I'm fully rooting for him and Cleveland. He's taken so many putrid rosters to the finals. Six straight finals is an accomplishment nobody has done (Jordan did it with a two-year retirement in between). He finally gets a healthy Cavs team with a decent mix of talent only to run into the greatest team of all time (record wise). I hope he pulls it off.

Before last night's game, I was thinking GS in 5.  Now I think there's a real chance of a sweep -- and a greater chance of that than of Cleveland winning 2 games.  GS is just a much better team on both ends.

FWIW, I'm rooting for the Cavs and I think LeBron is a pretty good guy, but he also should be held accountable for forcing the Cavs into a series of bad, and consequential, personnel moves.  The Tristan Thompson contract was ridiculous for a guy who's no more than a good role player, and the Wiggins-for-Love trade (followed by the Love max contract) was a debacle.

I'm surprised to see you cite that as a stat in support of LeBron. I didn't watch that game until the bitter end, but I know damn well why Curry and Thompson didn't do much: They didn't have to do much. Because feckin' Sean (Shaun? Shawn?) Livingston and other members of the G.S. bench outscored the Cavs bench by ~40.

But I agree with you that LeBron is not to blame. Having 2 other members of his big 3 who can't defend worth a damn is what is going to kill them. Love can hum the tune (but is still not good), but I did not understand before last night what a complete tire fire Irving is on defense. Holy Moses. I'm not a sophisticated basketball fan by any means, but even I could see what an absolute liability he is. Just awful.

More generally, the Cavs need to come up with a better team plan for defending GS -- otherwise, this series will be over in short order.

Curry was 4-15 and 3-8 from 3, Thompson was 4-12 and 1-5 from 3. It wasn't just that the bench was unbelievable, those two had bad offensive games. That aside, my point was mostly about the teams as a whole: Curry and Thompson can have off nights and the Warriors can still win in a blowout. If LeBron plays as poorly as either of them last night, the Cavs probably lose by 30. Yet, inevitably, people are going to tack this onto his 2-6 (soon to be 7, I think) Finals record and weave some nonsense narrative about him not being clutch or whatever. I hate it.

Saw a cool stat this morning: LeBron's teams are 1-9 (the fact he's only had 10 games at 15 points or less when he's played 193 games is impressive in and of itself) in the playoffs when he scores less than 15--dude simply cannot have an off night and be on the winning side.

Before last night's game, I was thinking GS in 5.  Now I think there's a real chance of a sweep -- and a greater chance of that than of Cleveland winning 2 games.  GS is just a much better team on both ends.

FWIW, I'm rooting for the Cavs and I think LeBron is a pretty good guy, but he also should be held accountable for forcing the Cavs into a series of bad, and consequential, personnel moves.  The Tristan Thompson contract was ridiculous for a guy who's no more than a good role player, and the Wiggins-for-Love trade (followed by the Love max contract) was a debacle.

To be sure, GM LeBron is rapidly climbing the Mt. Everest of "great players who are bad at everything else relating to their sport."

Back in the day I was a huge boxing fan.  How could you not be after watching Ali fight, right?  Float like a butterfly, Mr. Ali.

He's gotta  be GOAT, regardless of weight class, right?

Edited by We've

I'd always been a big Ali fan.  I've got a bunch of his fights on my iPad and I watch them from time to time.  Norman Mailer's The Fight is one of the best sports books ever written (it's about the Rumble in the Jungle).  Just two mornings ago I was conducting an internal debate about whether Tyson (one of the great punchers of all time) would beat Ali and concluded no, because Ali would move around and wear him down.

He also never was afraid to stand up for his convictions.  There is the famous quote, "Man, I ain't got no quarrel with them Vietcong ... they never called me '######'," and we all know he refused to serve in the Army during the Vietnam war.  What is less known is that every state stripped him of his license to box as a result, and he fought his conviction (for refusal to serve) all the way to the Supreme Court, which overturned it in an 8-0 decision.  (Marshall recused himself because he was the solicitor general at the time of the conviction.)  States gradually began to reissue licenses, and he resumed boxing.  The man risked his career and five years of his life for his beliefs.  

He had an incredible fun side, too.  His rhetoric was half braggadocio and half comedy.  He had a great relationship with Howard Cosell.  I'd followed him on Twitter and he had some pretty funny stuff on there, too.

So, a little sad this morning to wake up and read the news.

On the other hand, he suffered for a long, long time, and that's over.

RIP, Greatest.

Edited by Eleven

Lots of hard feelings still over his refusal to serve. Jane Fonda level hard feelings.

Re: Tyson vs Ali. Ali had a helluva chin. But I think if he tried with Tyson what he tried with Frasier ,Tyson would be the winner. But if he stayed away he'd have won easily. And hehad plenty of punch to knock Iron Mike out. Would have been an epic fight to see them both in their prime.

Edited by We've

Lots of hard feelings still over his refusal to serve. Jane Fonda level hard feelings.

Re: Tyson vs Ali. Ali had a helluva chin. But I think if he tried with Tyson what he tried with Frasier ,Tyson would be the winner. But if he stayed away he'd have won easily. And hehad plenty of punch to knock Iron Mike out. Would have been an epic fight to see them both in their prime.

1.  Regardless of whether you agree with his refusal to serve, you can at least respect the fact that he put his money where his mouth was, right?

2.  Yeah, that's exactly where I got. He'd run circles around Tyson and pop him when he'd get the opportunity.

1.  Regardless of whether you agree with his refusal to serve, you can at least respect the fact that he put his money where his mouth was, right?

2.  Yeah, that's exactly where I got. He'd run circles around Tyson and pop him when he'd get the opportunity.

You'd appreciate this read.

https://theringer.com/muhammad-ali-keith-olbermann-remembrance-2d81ba11561b#.llpytkout

I sort of enjoyed it.  Only Keith Olbermann can make an article about Muhammed Ali seem more like an article about Keith Olbermann.

Then again, I guess it really was about his experiences with Ali and not about Ali himself.

I really want to find a piece about the relationship between Ali and Cosell.  

Thrilla in Manila full fight:  

Rumble in the Jungle full fight:  

Edited by Eleven

LeBron is one of the greatest players of all time. I DO think there could be an interesting discussion about him being the greatest of all time when all is said and done.

I get the hate from the Miami days but I'm fully rooting for him and Cleveland. He's taken so many putrid rosters to the finals. Six straight finals is an accomplishment nobody has done (Jordan did it with a two-year retirement in between). He finally gets a healthy Cavs team with a decent mix of talent only to run into the greatest team of all time (record wise). I hope he pulls it off.

And he's actually a great guy off the court. He does a TON for that city, and the youth of Cleveland. He's never gotten in drug trouble, DUI's, violence, domestic disputes, divorces/cheating, multiple kids with different moms...none of it. He's a great role model and a better person. 

Edited by WildCard

And he's actually a great guy off the court. He does a TON for that city, and the youth of Cleveland. He's never gotten in drug trouble, DUI's, violence, domestic disputes, divorces/cheating, multiple kids with different moms...none of it. He's a great role model and a better person. 

Same with Thurman Thomas.  What's your point?

F'n Bandits gave up a goal w/ 5 seconds left in the 2nd & 12 in the 4th. Lost by 1 tonight & 2-0 in the series. :(

Didn't see the 1st Q, but apparently Cosmo got wrecked early. Probably was the difference in the game as he gave up 4 bad long shots tonight.