The other sports thread

Eleven

I know that the formal designation is "home base" but it just hits the ear (or eyes in this case) wrong, for me. Anyone else?

Believe it or not, me too. Not sure why I wrote "base" after home.

After last night, the Rangers are now within 2 games of the division lead. After the worst April in the majors, the fact that they're playing meaningful games in September is pretty awesome.  (Sorry, no amazing plays to link to from last night's game, just a well-played effort.)

Edited by Robins Egg

I'd overheard that she outplayed her opponent in the second round, had twice as many break points, but just didn't capitalize at the right times.  Kudos to her though!

She was overmatched by a former Aussie Open finalist.  Both are coming off of injuries.  Jessie probably will not crack the top 50 in her career, but it is nice to see someone with local ties take a round.

Now, all focus on the Serena Slam!

Mets had some drama surface yesterday.   Matt Harvey and his agent (Scott Boras, of course) all the sudden say his innings limit for the season is 180.  He now has 166 and is scheduled to pitch Tuesday against the Nationals.  This after the Mets have done everything they could to limit his innings this year including skipping starts and using a 6 man rotation.  Harvey complained about the 6 man rotation as well.

He is coming off off Tommy John, but it seems ridiculous to bring this up now with the Mets in 1st place and hopefully headed to the playoffs.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/13591191/matt-harvey-noncommittal-exceeding-180-innings-new-york-mets

So is ND Football legit this year?  Or is Texas just bad?

Longhorns have been going through a period of change for the past 2 years. Hired a new coach last year and have a some what new roster. Also going w/ a different style of play. Played west coast last year, but going w/ the spread this season. 

I'm not putting down Notre Dame. Just saying Texas is not a good team. 

VERY messed up.  I'll be pissed if that happens.  I want to see the Slam.  A triple crown and a grand slam in the same year!

And that w/ Spieth being w/in 5 or 6 strokes outright (3 or 4 short of having 2 playoffs) of a slam himself and the very real possibility of Djokovic being 1 clay court victory shy of 1 himself.

Amazing the individual performances we've seen this year.

How messed up would that be if somehow Venus beat her?

I hate when they play each other. Don't know if the stats bear this out, but it always seems like they each have more unforced errors than they do winners, compared to when they play others. Like they don't really want to beat each other.

I hate when they play each other. Don't know if the stats bear this out, but it always seems like they each have more unforced errors than they do winners, compared to when they play others. Like they don't really want to beat each other.

Venus said yesterday that she doesn't like playing her sister because she doesn't want her sister to lose.

Edited by Eleven