Sabres HARBORcenter updates

sabills

Wow. I hardly know where to begin. I guess I'll start with the facility.

The main rink is beautiful. Nice wood benches, and the whole thing is surrounded by a counter with barstools. Concessions available at breakfast time included a breakfast burrito, but also a wide range of healthy stuff: fruit, smoothies, protein bars and shakes, Greek-style yogurt. Koelmel must have been reading my posts about the food available at Sabres games. There is public skating on the rink when nothing is going on; there is a posted schedule of when public skating is available. $6/hr and an extra $3 if you are renting skates. That's more than reasonable. The pro shop is small but nice. The only thing I didn't like is that they play the same loud music between whistles that they do for Sabres games. Annoying. The second rink is full-sized, but the seating sure isn't. Harborcenter says it seats 800, and that might be a little generous. Canisius was practicing this morning.

The game itself: I'd never seen sled hockey live before; I've only watched clips on the Internet. What a cool game! It's not as fast as hockey, and it's rare to see a player carry the puck for more than a couple of seconds (because of the way they propel the sleds), but it definitely is competitive and fun to watch. Rules differences include a penalty for "teeing," which, if spelled "T-ing," becomes self-explanatory, and extra time to get off the ice on a change (basically, a skater coming off can hang near the bench door for a little while without being counted for too many men purposes). Buffalo has a guy named Adam Page who might be the Wayne Gretzky of sled hockey. He was all over the ice and had 4 goals. The upper body strength these guys have is incredible. Let's just say that they'd be able to do plenty of pullups at the combine.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Koelmel's leaving as president of Harborcenter.

http://www.wben.com/Reports-Koelmel-Out-at-Harborcenter/21222815

The company's press release is predictably rosy and happy -- suggesting that, with the project now almost complete, it's time for John to move on.

But I would imagine that he'd still be there if the Pegulas and he were on the same page.

Probably that guy Joe Batista from Penn State meddling again! Honestly this doesn't surprise me too much.

I thought he was an odd fit when he took the job and wouldn't be surprised if he's looking for something more in tune with his skillset than Harborcenter now that it is at the stage it is. He's not a hotel manager. He is a great guy though and will be missed.

Probably that guy Joe Batista from Penn State meddling again! Honestly this doesn't surprise me too much.

I thought he was an odd fit when he took the job and wouldn't be surprised if he's looking for something more in tune with his skillset than Harborcenter now that it is at the stage it is. He's not a hotel manager. He is a great guy though and will be missed.

I don't discount the notion that the plan all along was to have him around for the heavy lifting, so to speak -- to get the thing off the ground and on its way.

Even so, the timing seems odd.

I don't discount the notion that the plan all along was to have him around for the heavy lifting, so to speak -- to get the thing off the ground and on its way.

Even so, the timing seems odd.

Koelmel can get things done in this town, but he also can put some people off. 

Koelmel told Fink at Biz First that the timing of the departure was the plan all along.

So, whether true or not: Moving on.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the plan all along.  The guy has no need for money or recognition; this very well could have been an attractive temporary assignment for him.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the plan all along.  The guy has no need for money or recognition; this very well could have been an attractive temporary assignment for him.

I tend to agree.

That said: It's weird that the official Harborcenter press release didn't allude to this.

All I want to know is who the hell designed the parking garage.  My son played there a few weeks ago and I am pretty sure that I could have designed a much better garage.  Beyond the abnormally narrow driving areas it is in dire need of more signage to direct traffic flow.

In my one trip up and down from the 5th level I was nearly in 5 accidents and I mean very close as in slamming brakes.  The sight lines are horrible as well.

That said.. inside is very nice.  The locker rooms are a bit tiny, WAY too warm but they are nice.  He played on the secondary rink but the ice was beautiful.  The bench areas were some of the best I have been on as well.

The main rink just SOUNDS cool when a game is going on.  

Might be back there in another month for another tournament.. we shall see.

This is all Terry Pegula had to say when addressing Koelmel in a fairly far-ranging interview with Carruci:

On John Koelmel leaving HarborCenter: “John has moved on. He did a great job at getting the HarborCenter thing going.”

Whatever, I guess. It just doesn't sound like a truly amicable parting.

This is all Terry Pegula had to say when addressing Koelmel in a fairly far-ranging interview with Carruci:

On John Koelmel leaving HarborCenter: “John has moved on. He did a great job at getting the HarborCenter thing going.”

Whatever, I guess. It just doesn't sound like a truly amicable parting.

See, reading-into is fun, innit?

*This* close to a confession! Maybe HBO can mic Terry up and hope he takes a confessional leak.

• On Kim Pegula’s role – “If you divide it between the actual sports side and the business side, she’s working closely with (Sabres President) Ted Black and Russ Brandon on the business side, and I haven’t been as involved on that side of it. That’s what she likes to do; she’s good at it. So I actually stay over on the sports side, the actual makeup of the teams and working with how we’re going to build the team, the coaching staff. I talk to Doug every day.”

Edited by @fakegorbyportwinestain

See, reading-into is fun, innit?

When it's warranted.

• On Kim Pegula’s role – “If you divide it between the actual sports side and the business side, she’s working closely with (Sabres President) Ted Black and Russ Brandon on the business side, and I haven’t been as involved on that side of it. That’s what she likes to do; she’s good at it. So I actually stay over on the sports side, the actual makeup of the teams and working with how we’re going to build the team, the coaching staff. I talk to Doug every day.”

There's no real debate anymore about whether Terry gets involved in player-personnel matters. So, the war is won (the point is conceded), to the extent that was ever your objective. 

The remaining questions, such as they are, are the actual extent to which he affects decision making and, moreover, where on the continuum of normality-abnormality such behavior falls when it comes to pro sports franchise ownership.

My sense is that his involvement is modest (but not nothing), and that his behavior is well WNL.

Pegula explained to QMI Agency how he and his wife funnel that passion as NFL owners.

“Yeah, we got involved in the free agency stuff and the trades,” said Pegula, and oil-and-gas multi-billionaire. “We sat with the whole football department -- coach (Ryan), GM (Doug Whaley), (president) Russ Brandon and (VP) Jim Overdorf.

“I’m one of these guys whose management style is ‘management by committee.’ We’re all stronger together than alone. It seemed to have worked in my life. It works well in sports too, if you have the right people.”

So if they are that involved, who ultimately is making final decisions on roster moves?

“Obviously, as the owner I guess I make the final decision,” Pegula said. “But if somebody feels real strong about something, we all sit and talk about it. That person can win, and it’s his call. That’s how we like to operate.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/03/24/bills-owner-terry-pegula-not-opposed-to-franchise-in-toronto

It's like a marriage at this point: For better or worse.

I will give you this: What's come out in recent months has confirmed the essence of your "meddling" allegations. Dude's all up in there.

But the debate appears to have moved on from there, at least in my mind.

• 1 month later...

State High School Hockey Tourament coming to Buffalo

@kevinoDandC: The state high school hockey tournament is moving from the central location since 1988 (Utica) to spiffy HarborCenter in downtown Buffalo.

Edited by BRAWNDO

State High School Hockey Tourament coming to Buffalo

@kevinoDandC: The state high school hockey tournament is moving from the central location since 1988 (Utica) to spiffy HarborCenter in downtown Buffalo.

Bummer that didn't happen a year or 2 earlier. Would have been nice to have a short drive to watch Schraeder and McQuaid win state championships. Oh, well. Next year. :)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.