[OT] Joel Ward Goal , racist barrage

millbank

Statement from the Boston Bruins:

"The Bruins are very disappointed by the racist comments that were made following the game last night. These classless, ignorant views are in no way a reflection of anyone associated with the Bruins organization."

At least they said something. Now how about a PSA commercial?

... Also, just to go back to a conversation that was had here once, maybe last summer, the Confederate Flag is essentially a big banner saying "hey I'm a racist". Even if you think you're not a racist, your displaying of the flag (outside of historical situations) means that you've come to terms with the fact that doing so will get you labeled as a racist. Accepting that label essentially makes you one.

I say this knowing that it's always a mistake to judge history through the prism of modern-day societal norms but nothing has been more romanticized than the Confederacy and it's Stars and Bars over the years.

GO SABRES!!!

So you're saying officials are racist?

Just posted the article but made no claim one way or the other (the SPPS doesn't make that claim either). I will say though that there is a ton of research in both sociology and cognitive psychology studying unconscious or implicit racism. And a fair amount of evidence points to us consciously overriding unconscious attitudes about relative "others" in many cases. Quite a bit of the research uses response latency measures or implicit association tests. Interesting stuff.

FWIW, there's a spot along the highway on the Viriginia Eastern shore where there's a burnt-out trailer and a piece of plywood with 'KKK Burn Out' spray painted on it. I'm not entirely sure if that means the KKK burnt someone out or vice versa, but it was there in the last year. I'll check again when I pass by there in a couple days.

Last year Vancouver exploded after a loss and showed what's simmering underneath with a little adversity and prompting. This year the city of Boston shows its true "colors." Ever go to Fenway? Just look up in the crowd...you can count the number of black faces on one hand.

Wow. I'm just as appalled at some of the responses by those that were offended by the tweets. A couple actually give addresses of the racist tweeters. Another IDs the high school one of them attends. Another defends MA by saying, "we are not the South."

So much to be proud of.

Lenny Bruce was right.

GO BILLS!!!

Whenever anything like this happens the team should be held responsible, people will think twice about voicing such idiocy if they know it'll hurt their team. Similar things happen in football. Also at least some of the fans should be tracks and banned from hockey games for at least half a season.

Sick, no excuses. Just sad pathetic idiots.

Whenever anything like this happens the team should be held responsible, people will think twice about voicing such idiocy if they know it'll hurt their team. Similar things happen in football. Also at least some of the fans should be tracks and banned from hockey games for at least half a season.

Sick, no excuses. Just sad pathetic idiots.

Sorry Raz, but I can't agree with this on any level. Teams and their players cannot be penalized for the actions of their fans.

Your idea about banning fans is not a bad one, though. And NFL teams are going in that direction, including our beloved Bills. In the future, any fan ejected will have to complete a four hour class on proper stadium behavior (for want of a better term), before being allowed to attend another game.

It's a start.

GO BILLS!!!

EDIT: I found a link for an article that describes what the NFL is doing.

http://msn.foxsports...uct-exam-041512

http://www.cbssports...lash-on-twitter

After Joel Ward scored the winning goal last evening, a substantial amount of appalling , sobering, disgusting, (supply the adjectives) racist tweets were posted from said to be outraged Boston Fans. Within the link above a link of actual comments and to be fair a substantial amount of outraged comments to these comments.

I ponder after hearing of this as to what to make of it. Clearly it is tragic our culture still has the racist disgusting character trait in attributed to any percentage of our populace to any extent not acceptable.

Easiest obvious reaction is outrage, but also the general feeling that within any group of people we are going to find a small percentage of individuals inclined this way, but they be a small percentage.

After last years hockey riots in Vancouver, it was similarly said, rioters were in fact a small group of Vancouver fans, to me this fair comment, just as in Boston or most locals in North America percentage of racist of the small minority. (this likely open to debate). It would be easy as such to pass by this as being just a small percentage of disgusting people making disgusting comments.

What is clear though is how even few can taint a large number.

What I noted in article was many of the outraged tweeters responded not only in outrage but outed the people who made the racist comments giving their names and addresses out.

I do ponder what we as posters and people can do. I it obvious we as individuals would do well to take to heart such comments clearly examine ourselves, and make every possible effort to deport ourselves in a respectful fashion as we go about our lives interacting with each other.

It would seem to me we do well to also speak up when such things to occur a make sure in our own environments it not possible for any such behavior to occur.

I ponder these tweets, what do you think , this to easy a exploited a negative issue or sad evidence we as a people still have changing to do and the sobering impact a small group can have on a large, particularly if the large group not as vocal.

Glad I have no use for twitter and no interest in getting involved. I was thrilled when he scored, and woke up my house. F### the small segment of fans responsible. Most in this country are not racist. If a black man, a caucasian or a martian can beat NJ or NY tonight, I'll be just as happy!

Statement from the Boston Bruins:

"The Bruins are very disappointed by the racist comments that were made following the game last night. These classless, ignorant views are in no way a reflection of anyone associated with the Bruins organization."

At least they said something. Now how about a PSA commercial?

Just the people who follow the team.

And as for a PSA, even if it was pointless, I'd love to see the bear beating on some racists.

Sorry Raz, but I can't agree with this on any level. Teams and their players cannot be penalized for the actions of their fans.

Your idea about banning fans is not a bad one, though. And some NFL teams are going in that direction, including our beloved Bills. In the future, any fan ejected will have to complete a four hour class on proper stadium behavior (for want of a better term), before being allowed to attend another game.

It's a start.

GO BILLS!!!

I like the 4 hour class idea. I mean a token fine for the team but I can understand why it's unfair.

I like the 4 hour class idea. I mean a token fine for the team but I can understand why it's unfair.

See my edit above. I linked an article about the NFL's policy. I can see all sports teams doing this simply for the liability aspects involved.

GO SABRES!!!

Just the people who follow the team.

And as for a PSA, even if it was pointless, I'd love to see the bear beating on some racists.

:lol:

Maybe they could end it w/ the Bruins' bruin and the racists catching karaoke with the Labatt's Blue bear.

The team did nothing wrong. I know about the "kick racism out of football" campaigns across the pond, but aren't sanctions directed at teams who fail to take action against so-called fans exhibiting racist behavior at the game?

The Bruins can't possibly control what a bunch of idiots put out on twitter.

The Detroit Red Wings have little control over what a fan does in a preseason game in London, Ont., but they certainly can and should ban that fan from the arena in Detroit.

On the other hand, the Montreal Canadiens could have done something when a fan threw a banana at Kevin Weekes. I don't remember what they did or didn't do in that instance, but if it happens again and a team does nothing, I'm fine with some sort of punishment for the team.

You should work in advertising with an idea like that. Assuming you don't.

They already did similar stuff, which is why it probably came to mind. They had one commercial that I thought sent an absolutely horrible message. The bear would beat on Montreal fans just because they were wearing a Habs jersey in the arena. So basically, the Bruins marketing was telling people to attack opposing fans.

I think if you were to go down south you'd see a lot more of it. And by south I mean past the thruway, maybe Marilla area.

From what I have seen, the chances you are a racist tend to climb significantly if you weren't routinely exposed to other races/cultures by your early 20's. I find that the less educated you are, the more monochromatic your neighborhood, and the smaller your employer, the greater the chance you will tend towards bigotry. Even if you were raised in a white bred/white picket fence neighborhood with little to no diversity, college/ diverse neighborhoods/ and diverse workplaces tend to show people that folks that look different aren't really different in any meaningful way.

Granted, hate can and is spread even in diverse environments.

From what I have seen, the chances you are a racist tend to climb significantly if you weren't routinely exposed to other races/cultures by your early 20's. I find that the less educated you are, the more monochromatic your neighborhood, and the smaller your employer, the greater the chance you will tend towards bigotry. Even if you were raised in a white bred/white picket fence neighborhood with little to no diversity, college/ diverse neighborhoods/ and diverse workplaces tend to show people that folks that look different aren't really different in any meaningful way.

Granted, hate can and is spread even in diverse environments.

A lot of those relationships actually tend to be pretty true. It's known as the contact hypothesis: the more contact people have with minorities, the more moderated their racial views tend to be.

Of course, counteracting this is "white flight" which is the tendency of whites to move out of neighborhoods once minorities begin to move in.

A lot of those relationships actually tend to be pretty true. It's known as the contact hypothesis: the more contact people have with minorities, the more moderated their racial views tend to be.

Of course, counteracting this is "white flight" which is the tendency of whites to move out of neighborhoods once minorities begin to move in.

So is the PHD in sociology?

Archived