[OT] Joel Ward Goal , racist barrage

millbank

It's really the bastard child of the social sciences. The field as a whole is a combination of politics, history, sociology, economics, psychology and maybe a little anthropology.

Mixed with frat boys, football players, stoners and engineering dropouts. :nana:

From what I have seen, the chances you are a racist tend to climb significantly if you weren't routinely exposed to other races/cultures by your early 20's. I find that the less educated you are, the more monochromatic your neighborhood, and the smaller your employer, the greater the chance you will tend towards bigotry. Even if you were raised in a white bred/white picket fence neighborhood with little to no diversity, college/ diverse neighborhoods/ and diverse workplaces tend to show people that folks that look different aren't really different in any meaningful way.

Granted, hate can and is spread even in diverse environments.

Very well stated. I nearly added something to this effect in my original post in this thread; I'm glad I didn't because it wouldn't have been stated remotely as well.

Canada is Canada, ain't it?

I would as well, considering Buffalo had Tony McKegney for many years and he now works with the Alumni association. Plus we've always embraced other players like Mike Grier. And Val James was the first African American to play in the NHL.

Also, Sean McMorrow, J-L Grand-Pierre, Rumun Ndur, Grant Fuhr.

Really interesting wiki page about it actually:

http://en.wikipedia....an_descent#Past

Racism is a human condition. It exists everywhere. Sounds a lot like the pot calling the kettle black to me when you keep calling out Canada. Anyways, it happens here and it happens everywhere else unfortunately. Thankfully its a minority of Canadians and I'm sure Americans. That kind of thinking is getting old. I happen to be what you might consider a hick Canadian but I just happen to be married to a Malaysian. No Racism tolerated in this household.

:lol: He was only the first African American in the NHL that couldn't actually skate.

While he was that, I can't think of another African American to play in the league before him.

I can think of 4 African Canadians ottomh: O'Ree, Marson, McKegney, and Fuhr; but I can't readily come up w/ another AA.

From what I have seen, the chances you are a racist tend to climb significantly if you weren't routinely exposed to other races/cultures by your early 20's. I find that the less educated you are, the more monochromatic your neighborhood, and the smaller your employer, the greater the chance you will tend towards bigotry. Even if you were raised in a white bred/white picket fence neighborhood with little to no diversity, college/ diverse neighborhoods/ and diverse workplaces tend to show people that folks that look different aren't really different in any meaningful way.

+ a lot

Boston by far is the most racist city I have ever come to know. My ex-wife and entire family are Bostonians and I have never heard so much racism in my years with them. Her uncle was the chief of ballistics for the Boston PD and he was absolutely horrible about non-Irish races. My ex even said after the game....."come on really, the black guy?" This country will never change and believe it or not, the white race will be the minority eventually. I have no problem with things the way they are, but they are gonna change.

I saw some of that this morning and almost posted here, but I wasn't sure how much interest there would be in it.

Some of the actual tweets are here: http://chirpstory.com/li/6781 WARNING: This is not safe for work. And it's disgusting. (Link is in the CBS article that millbank linked to, as well.)

I do like that some of the commenters are "outing" some of the racists.

This is totally disgusting.

The team did nothing wrong. I know about the "kick racism out of football" campaigns across the pond, but aren't sanctions directed at teams who fail to take action against so-called fans exhibiting racist behavior at the game?

The Bruins can't possibly control what a bunch of idiots put out on twitter.

The Detroit Red Wings have little control over what a fan does in a preseason game in London, Ont., but they certainly can and should ban that fan from the arena in Detroit.

On the other hand, the Montreal Canadiens could have done something when a fan threw a banana at Kevin Weekes. I don't remember what they did or didn't do in that instance, but if it happens again and a team does nothing, I'm fine with some sort of punishment for the team.

I guess that is the line, they've put out the token 'we don't condone this' so not a lot the league can do seeing as it was twitter. As you say, if it happens at the arena then its different.

I'm not a violent person but I would happily beat the living ###### out of any of these idiots.

To be fair with the massive increase in immigration here in the UK racism is on the increase in areas like mine because of the increase in diversity. Still down to the less educated, less open minded people who don't really understand but just to add a different side.

Boston by far is the most racist city I have ever come to know. My ex-wife and entire family are Bostonians and I have never heard so much racism in my years with them. Her uncle was the chief of ballistics for the Boston PD and he was absolutely horrible about non-Irish races. My ex even said after the game....."come on really, the black guy?" This country will never change and believe it or not, the white race will be the minority eventually. I have no problem with things the way they are, but they are gonna change.

this from "Smell my bag."

I'm willing to bet that a vast majority of the racist posts came from Southie. That place is something else. In some ways the reputation Boston has is a bit unwarrented. There's so many people who moved in from all over the country for work and many of them don't display those same qualities as the long-time accented locals. That seems to be where so much of the hate comes from.

The strangest one I ever saw was two guys trying to pick a fight with a guy on the subway because he was wearing a Cincinnati Reds hat. You're so stupid that you're going to get in a guy's face because he's wearing the hat of a team that is completely irrelevant to Boston? They never even play each other! The best part? After those idiots were gone, I started talking to the guy and he said, "I don't even follow the reds, I just bought the hat because my name is Cliff".

I'm willing to bet that a vast majority of the racist posts came from Southie. That place is something else. In some ways the reputation Boston has is a bit unwarrented. There's so many people who moved in from all over the country for work and many of them don't display those same qualities as the long-time accented locals. That seems to be where so much of the hate comes from.

The strangest one I ever saw was two guys trying to pick a fight with a guy on the subway because he was wearing a Cincinnati Reds hat. You're so stupid that you're going to get in a guy's face because he's wearing the hat of a team that is completely irrelevant to Boston? They never even play each other! The best part? After those idiots were gone, I started talking to the guy and he said, "I don't even follow the reds, I just bought the hat because my name is Cliff".

What's so strange about that? If people can hate each other in the middle east for a few hundred years, how can a TRUE Baaahstonian evah fahgive the fawkin' Reds for keeping the greatest Red Sawk EVAH, Cahl Yastrzemski, from winnin' the Wohld Fawkin' Series back in '75. Big Red Machine moy aahhhhhsss. ;)

What's so strange about that? If people can hate each other in the middle east for a few hundred years, how can a TRUE Baaahstonian evah fahgive the fawkin' Reds for keeping the greatest Red Sawk EVAH, Cahl Yastrzemski, from winnin' the Wohld Fawkin' Series back in '75. Big Red Machine moy aahhhhhsss. ;)

Just like all those Leaf fans celebrating their Stanley Cup victories. :lol:

(sorry Millbank)

Canada is Canada, ain't it?

I would as well, considering Buffalo had Tony McKegney for many years and he now works with the Alumni association. Plus we've always embraced other players like Mike Grier. And Val James was the first African American to play in the NHL.

Also, Sean McMorrow, J-L Grand-Pierre, Rumun Ndur, Grant Fuhr.

Really interesting wiki page about it actually:

http://en.wikipedia....an_descent#Past

Do you recall the racist hate mail Bruuuuuce received after he missed most of the Bills' '91 season due to a knee injury? It was so bad he asked for a trade. It had a dramatic effect on him and his opinion of Bflo - something his son shared during a US History class in which we were discussing the civil rights movement of the 60s.

While I'd like to think that my hometown is beyond racism, I'd be naive to believe it. Sadly.

Just like all those Leaf fans celebrating their Stanley Cup victories. :lol:

(sorry Millbank)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OJEC9iIFD4

go leafs go eh..... :blush: (being old has some advantages actually have seen them win ten cups plus the last original six all star game.... 1942, 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1951, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1967,)

not meant to be patronizing comment, but i think it excellent that the issue of racism can be discussed on this form in a respectful fashion. Speaks well of this forum and the posters who frequent it.

Do you recall the racist hate mail Bruuuuuce received after he missed most of the Bills' '91 season due to a knee injury? It was so bad he asked for a trade. It had a dramatic effect on him and his opinion of Bflo - something his son shared during a US History class in which we were discussing the civil rights movement of the 60s.

While I'd like to think that my hometown is beyond racism, I'd be naive to believe it. Sadly.

Are you referring to the letters he received from all of 1 moron that he retrotted out again in a followup story about 7 years later? (IIRC, didn't he retrot them out after his, ahem, 'sleep apnea' came to light?)

The guy that sent the letters is scum. Pure and simple.

But, if the reason Bruce Smith wanted out of Buffalo was a handful of letters he received from a moron in '91, can you please explain to me why he essentially begged the Bills not to match the offer he received from that scumbag Pat Bowlen 2 years earlier? Do you recall the animosity he created with his comments in '89? Please note, I am in no way, shape, or form condoning what that moron did sending the letters to Bruce.

But Bruce getting non-racist nastygrams from fans was of his own doing. And his opinion of Buffalo was set WELL before he ever set foot in Orchard Park. Again, I am not condoning the moron sending him racist letters. It's stupid and pathetic.

Sorry Campy, you'll get a more sympathetic ear from me if you want to discuss the more recent disgusting stupidity that McKelvin had to endure.

Archived