[OT] Joel Ward Goal , racist barrage

millbank

http://www.cbssports...lash-on-twitter

After Joel Ward scored the winning goal last evening, a substantial amount of appalling , sobering, disgusting, (supply the adjectives) racist tweets were posted from said to be outraged Boston Fans. Within the link above a link of actual comments and to be fair a substantial amount of outraged comments to these comments.

I ponder after hearing of this as to what to make of it. Clearly it is tragic our culture still has the racist disgusting character trait in attributed to any percentage of our populace to any extent not acceptable.

Easiest obvious reaction is outrage, but also the general feeling that within any group of people we are going to find a small percentage of individuals inclined this way, but they be a small percentage.

After last years hockey riots in Vancouver, it was similarly said, rioters were in fact a small group of Vancouver fans, to me this fair comment, just as in Boston or most locals in North America percentage of racist of the small minority. (this likely open to debate). It would be easy as such to pass by this as being just a small percentage of disgusting people making disgusting comments.

What is clear though is how even few can taint a large number.

What I noted in article was many of the outraged tweeters responded not only in outrage but outed the people who made the racist comments giving their names and addresses out.

I do ponder what we as posters and people can do. I it obvious we as individuals would do well to take to heart such comments clearly examine ourselves, and make every possible effort to deport ourselves in a respectful fashion as we go about our lives interacting with each other.

It would seem to me we do well to also speak up when such things to occur a make sure in our own environments it not possible for any such behavior to occur.

I ponder these tweets, what do you think , this to easy a exploited a negative issue or sad evidence we as a people still have changing to do and the sobering impact a small group can have on a large, particularly if the large group not as vocal.

I saw some of that this morning and almost posted here, but I wasn't sure how much interest there would be in it.

Some of the actual tweets are here: http://chirpstory.com/li/6781 WARNING: This is not safe for work. And it's disgusting. (Link is in the CBS article that millbank linked to, as well.)

I do like that some of the commenters are "outing" some of the racists.

This stuff occurs all over hockey. The fans are just extensions of the players, and most players are dirtbags.

RIT was home to Cameron Burt the last four years, who is black. He's talented. He's also a bit of a tool. Mix those three pieces together and you get a bunch of hick Canadian white boys calling a Detroit born black man all sorts of offensive stuff. In fact he requested to be thrown out of a game this past season after becoming so outraged at what players on the other team were calling him, that he told the ref "if you don't throw me out I'm going to kill one of 'em".

This exists at all levels of hockey, and probably society. Not sure what we can do about it except to make sure that the a-holes aren't us.

I saw some of that this morning and almost posted here, but I wasn't sure how much interest there would be in it.

Some of the actual tweets are here: http://chirpstory.com/li/6781 WARNING: This is not safe for work. And it's disgusting. (Link is in the CBS article that millbank linked to, as well.)

I do like that some of the commenters are "outing" some of the racists.

I also thought same as you regarding Joel Wards goal and resulting tweets. Suppose in my little way , my hope would be within our own circle at least reading such comments would be sobering to the extent of each of us reflecting on our own deportment and simply put do our best to be respectful to each other, given how ugly and hurtful being otherwise can be. On reflection I suppose in terms of what we can do, I suppose like most things it does start with each of use keeping our own respective houses clean... and not finding any rational as to doing otherwise is acceptable.

Regarding issue it a worldwide issue not a regional one in my opinion. Certainly Canadians bare their own shame . The incident of banana did happen not in Toronto, but in London Ontario during game between Flyers and Detroit Red Wings. Interestingly London site where game was played is and was home to current Capital coach Hunter, the London Knights.

America Boston has always had it's issues with racism. They like to brush it off as if it is a problem of the past, but it's still alive and strong here.

Ufortunately I think my fix is just as accurate as your original quote. I used to think that I would live to see the day that skin color wasn't an issue for nearly everyone in this country. I don't think there has been enough progress for that to be a reality though.

Ufortunately I think my fix is just as accurate as your original quote. I used to think that I would live to see the day that skin color wasn't an issue for nearly everyone in this country. I don't think there has been enough progress for that to be a reality though.

I think you have to include Canada as well. It's not just the US that has these racial undertones. Lest we forget what happened in Toronto with Wade Simmonds.

The dynamic around here is so strange. They don't support their own as much as they attack the opposition. And it's like that for every single team down to the college level. When the most popular chants aren't even about the home team, you probably have a problem. There is such a culture of hate around here.

Wasn't that London, Ont?

I'd like to think that this wouldn't happen here in Buffalo

Canada is Canada, ain't it?

I would as well, considering Buffalo had Tony McKegney for many years and he now works with the Alumni association. Plus we've always embraced other players like Mike Grier. And Val James was the first African American to play in the NHL.

Also, Sean McMorrow, J-L Grand-Pierre, Rumun Ndur, Grant Fuhr.

Really interesting wiki page about it actually:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ice_hockey_players_of_black_African_descent#Past

This exists at all levels of hockey... Not sure what we can do about it except to make sure that the a-holes aren't us.

Suspensions. Discrimination is not part of the game.

Many of the leagues I've played in clearly state and enforce that discrimination and slurs are a suspendable offense. Offenders got their ###### beat on the ice right then and there and/or sat for several games. Offenders' teammates usually declined from from defending them on or off the ice.

Suspensions. Discrimination is not part of the game.

Many of the leagues I've played in clearly state and enforce that discrimination and slurs are a suspendable offense. Offenders got their ###### beat on the ice right then and there and/or sat for several games. Offenders' teammates usually declined from from defending them on or off the ice.

It never happens. The instances I've seen, the refs are completely oblivious to what is going on. In the game where Burt asked to be thrown out the opposing team's coach even knew it was happening and didn't understand why the refs hadn't heard it.

I'm reminded of another example. Our women's team at RIT is lead by a duo of Asian girls from California. They are frequently the brunt of racial slurs from other female players, so much that there have been several incidents where the head coach has sent out his grinders "Lindy Ruff" style to "send a message".

The refs are clueless to this stuff.

Depends on how you're defining 'nearly everyone.' If you're talking a vast majority, we're getting close. If you're talking 99%+, well, I'm hoping my kids see that one in their lifetime.

And honestly, I am amazed at how much racism has diminished over the course of my lifetime in this country. There is almost no one today that will openly admit to being a racist. The majority of the people I know and deal with, I honestly believe, are not closet racists either. Unfortunately, I do know that there are several people I know who are racist. Some of whom realize they are and some that don't.

I see less of it pretty much year by year. I don't think that's due to closing my eyes to it either. Having lived in the south for several years, I saw what there was of it up here more readily having seen the more open version of it versus the more discrete version practiced up north. Our culture is constantly evolving, as it continues to change I do truly believe that racism in general in this country is diminishing.

Unfortunately, those tweeters following stereotypes reinforce stereotypes that I hold of Boston.

Depends on how you're defining 'nearly everyone.' If you're talking a vast majority, we're getting close. If you're talking 99%+, well, I'm hoping my kids see that one in their lifetime.

And honestly, I am amazed at how much racism has diminished over the course of my lifetime in this country. There is almost no one today that will openly admit to being a racist. The majority of the people I know and deal with, I honestly believe, are not closet racists either. Unfortunately, I do know that there are several people I know who are racist. Some of whom realize they are and some that don't.

I see less of it pretty much year by year. I don't think that's due to closing my eyes to it either. Having lived in the south for several years, I saw what there was of it up here more readily having seen the more open version of it versus the more discrete version practiced up north. Our culture is constantly evolving, as it continues to change I do truly believe that racism in general in this country is diminishing.

Unfortunately, those tweeters following stereotypes reinforce stereotypes that I hold of Boston.

Just to solidify the Boston stereotype with one specific anecdote, I have a buddy I know from college who is from the sticks of Mass and he's the most openly racist person I've ever met. I remember when Obama was running for election he was running around the house we lived in yelling things like "I can't wait to get an Obama Christmas ornament so I can hang a n*gger from a tree!", and all sorts of other genuinely offensive things. He always tells the story about how the first black man he ever saw was on the Cosby show and he didn't believe they were real.

I think if you were to go down south you'd see a lot more of it. And by south I mean past the thruway, maybe Marilla area.

Also, just to go back to a conversation that was had here once, maybe last summer, the Confederate Flag is essentially a big banner saying "hey I'm a racist". Even if you think you're not a racist, your displaying of the flag (outside of historical situations) means that you've come to terms with the fact that doing so will get you labeled as a racist. Accepting that label essentially makes you one.

Also, just to go back to a conversation that was had here once, maybe last summer, the Confederate Flag is essentially a big banner saying "hey I'm a racist". Even if you think you're not a racist, your displaying of the flag (outside of historical situations) means that you've come to terms with the fact that doing so will get you labeled as a racist. Accepting that label essentially makes you one.

I would say the yellow "don't tread on me" flag has become just as bad since the Tea Party hijacked it.

That's the problem, is that there's no way to know when somebody is racist or not when they're trying to hide it since it's socially unacceptable. A lot of people hide behind a specific ideology because an ideological argument or position is acceptable, whereas a racially-based argument or position is not. But how can we really know the difference? It's not like we can go around telling people they're only taking a certain position because they hate black people (unless of course you're Kanye West). But at the same time, we know these types of people exist.

That's the problem, is that there's no way to know when somebody is racist or not when they're trying to hide it since it's socially unacceptable. A lot of people hide behind a specific ideology because an ideological argument or position is acceptable, whereas a racially-based argument or position is not. But how can we really know the difference? It's not like we can go around telling people they're only taking a certain position because they hate black people (unless of course you're Kanye West). But at the same time, we know these types of people exist.

The same way we tell whether somebody's an ###### or not. Talk with them and get to know them.

If they can keep up the appearance that they aren't a racist/######/whatever, I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I didn't read all of them, but I wonder how much of this is just the younger generation using the foul language when they don't understand the ramifications of doing so - or even the meaning of some of the words.

That said, I agree that racism is still everywhere and I don't think there's very much we can do to change that...despite everyone's efforts.

Archived