Band Wagon Jumping

frissonic

So, now that the Sabres are officially eliminated, are any of you planning on following a particular team? My next in line is Phoenix, since it looks like Colorado has all but been eliminated. Other than that, I'm going to just relax, enjoy the playoffs, and not stress over who wins or loses. At this point, I don't really care. Like I said, it'd be nice if Phoenix could make a run, but if not, oh well.

Also, who are you absolutely gunning for to be eliminated early on? I want to see Boston and Philly upended.

New Jersey, have to see if Broduer has one more Cup in him.

I don't expect the Caps or Panthers to last long in the playoffs. Despite Ovi's and Semin's play down the stretch I don't see the Caps being competitive unless they can tape a goalie together.

I expect to see round three of Penguins and Red Wings in the Finals.

I don't expect the Caps or Panthers to last long in the playoffs. Despite Ovi's and Semin's play down the stretch I don't see the Caps being competitive unless they can tape a goalie together.

I would agree with that except that the Blues have played the Wings very well this year. If you end up with Blues/Wings WCF I could see St. Louis coming out of it with the win.

:lol:

And I'd love to see a Pittsburgh-Detroit Finals, I think it would be fantastic hockey. My preseason prediction was Pittsburgh-Chicago...but I think your Caps comment can most certainly be applied to my Chicago prediction.

That's a good point, which I didn't think of. Sorry Goose!

Edit: Actually, aren't the draft slots fixed at the end of the regular season, minus the Cup winner?

Nope.

The teams that miss the playoffs get the 1st 14 slots. The next 8 teams eliminated get the next 8, and so on until you get to the $@@#^#$@^'s that win the SC.

It's screwy with only two Canadian teams--one of which is completely loathsome--in the mix. Normally, I do like to root for Canadian teams when the Sabres are out. But, as aforementioned, I cannot have Vancouver winning one first, and Ottawa? I'd sooner ###### on a relative's grave.

I feel exactly the same way, and have for as long as I can remember. My rather complex Stanley Cup Playoffs "rooting structure" was challenged last year:

Canadian team: PLUS

Boston Bruins: MINUS

Original Six team: PLUS

Sister franchise in Vancouver: MINUS

Team with Cup wins: PLUS

Ultimately, as much as I loathe the Bruins (my earliest Sabres' memory was Brad ###### Park) I was OK with them winning it because it made it all the easier to hate their ###### guts.

I haven't paid much attention to Detroit in recent weeks. I had sort of counted them out with the late season injury status of Lidstrom, Howard and Datsyuk. A Pens-Wings Final would be ideal if they're healthy.

Vancouver - No - had their chance last year

St Louis - Yes - they remind me of 07 sabres

L.A. - No - They have half of Philly's team

Detroit - No - sick of hockey town and euros

Chicago - Yes? - Kane, toews Keith are fun

Nashville - no - lacks great offensive players

San Jose - no - They're getting old

Phoenix - no - Gary Bettman

As for the East

Rangers - Yes - I like mostly everything

Boston - No - NO

Florida - No - I only know Brian Campbell

Pittsburgh - Yes - like Crosby... Malkin, Nahhh

Philly - Yes/No - entertaining but douchebags

New jersey - No - the trap

Ottawa - No - Dumb boring team

Washington - No - Should be us, ovechkin sucks

Vancouver's my 2nd fave so that's who I'll be pulling for.

For teams I'll be rooting against, it's Boston and Philly. After the knock out Philly, I'll be rooting against the Pens in round 2.

Well then...I hope Nashville gets swept!

There ya go

I'd also be surprised if all picks are traded for one, but I really want one of those young Russians....and I'm not talking about the advertising on SS :w00t:

I just can't get excited watching any other team succeed in the playoffs. That should be our team clawing and scraping their way through 4 rounds of playoff hockey. Spilling blood for each other. Gaining playoff experience. Blocking shots. Playing above their ability and sacrificing themselves for team mates and the colours on their chest. Bonding as only team members can bond in the heat of a playoff battle. That should be the Sabres dammit ! Our management should be ashamed that they couldn't or wouldn't get this team past the mediocre 9th place finish that they did. They should be ashamed that when this team was losing 12 games straight they did nothing to stop the bleeding. Not even a symbolic move to show the guys that , yes , we are trying to right this ship. Keep working boys, we're sending help. I'm sick to my stomach that we're seeing the same result we always do under this bloody regime. Its become a way of life for Buffalo hockey fans and some are even content to accept it. Give me the sabres in a playoff battle or give me nothin. I ain't cheering on someone elses team. Fukc that.

I don't have a backup team but I will be actively rooting against

Boston

Pittsburgh

Philadelphia

Ottawa

Detroit

in that order

That first round matchup is going to eat you alive. Should be a rough one. After the last time these teams met, it's setting up for an unbelievable series.

That's a good point, which I didn't think of. Sorry Goose!

Edit: Actually, aren't the draft slots fixed at the end of the regular season, minus the Cup winner?

Chicago for me. Relatives.

Currently we pick 11th maybe 7th.

As always I will follow my pre-determined rooting scenarios when the Sabres are out of the playoffs. It strictly adheres to the principle of misery loves company which therefore forces me to root against any team that has not yet won a Stanley Cup. It goes like this:

1.) If you're a team that has yet to win a Cup I will root for you to lose. In the east this means Caps, Panthers and Senators need to go ASAP. In the West the only teams that I'd want to come out are Detroit and Chicago.

2.) If two teams meet in a series that have both previously won a Cup or Cups I will root against the team that has gone the longest without winning.

I root for the Sabres. F everyone else.

I feel bad labeling Chicago as a bandwagon fanbase. They went through some truly dark times in that city, and have managed to actually develop a following in recent years. I can't help but think that rather than being a bandwagon team, they actually succeeded in creating a new generation of fans that will stick around.

As I've noted elsewhere, the Blackhawks were my favorite team prior to the Sabres coming into the league - those '60s teams had some awesome players - Tony Esposito, Bobby Hull and my favorite, Stan Mikita. The Hawks did have a long run of very bad times, and I am glad to see they have recovered and are doing well again. I'll be cheering for them now that the Sabres have bought the farm.

That first round matchup is going to eat you alive. Should be a rough one. After the last time these teams met, it's setting up for an unbelievable series.

He gets the Boston-Ottawa first round series too. So he can take the optimist view and know that two of his hated teams will be eliminated right away or the pessimist view that two of his hated teams will advance.

I root for the Sabres. F everyone else.

That's me too. I am completely uninvested in all of the teams, but hopefully I'll get some good hockey out of the deal.

edit: I guess on a personal level I'd love to see Marty Biron carrying the cup, but he's not going to play much of a role in that happening.

Boston. I'm being dead serious. I met the owner and he's a pretty cool guy. I was walking my dog and when I came back home he was in the hallway talking to my building's owner. He walked over to my dog and I and started petting him and have a conversation with me for a good 15 minutes about why I left California after I graduated to come back to Buffalo and my career goals. He was genuine. So I wish him and his team luck.

Archived