Cody Hodgson Watch

SDS

Someone made the point somewhere on the board that he's currently playing against the teams he's very familiar with. Not only that, but he's also playing in the same time zone that he's spent most of his season in. I'm kind of curious as to how these cross country trades effect a player. How long does it take to adjust to the three hour time change? They'll do it randomly over the course of a season for a day or two, but once this road trip is over, it's permanent for him.

No one on this team expects their centerman to be able to make passes like that. The puck being on their stick surprises them. Hopefully they can get used to it.

Rico figured it out. Tucker, not so much.

Interesting to see how this batch'll fare.

IMHO, we've never seen the likes of that sort of thing, before or since.

Oh, I agree.

My point was that Mogilny was very good before, but really excelled once Patty arrived. This type of relationship we will not see again I don't think ... that was very special and is not seen often, if at all in the NHL.

You don't have to be a waterbug who can dance through traffic to be an effective center - the puck moves a lot faster than anyone in the league. So far he appears equally capable of putting the puck on the tape of wingers in scoring positions and finding those scoring positions himself. I see why Vancouver fans are pissed about giving him up.

And he backchecks like a mofo. I see nothing not to love at this point - he definitely has #1 center upside. Hopefully Gary Roberts can add some muscle to that frame - he is pretty strong on his skates now - add 10 lbs of muscle and he will be a beast.

Given what Gary Roberts accomplished and what he has done for other players already I don't hope.. I feel supremely confident that he will make him better. Amazing what that guy pulled off not only with himself but also with the players who have worked with him so far.

Welcome aboard, and thanks for sharing your thoughts on Cody! Hopefully last night's game was a sign of more good things to come from him.

Greetings all! Yet another Canucks fan here. :flirt:

So, just how many fracking eyes does Cody have on his head? These one-touch, tape to tape passes should be illegal.

His skating is average. His physicality is very much below average. His ability to know where every person is on the ice, the direction they are going, and when they will arrive at certain spots freaks the crap out of me.

This is usual for Vancouver, if you've seen the Sedin's play its the same thing.

The coach wants all the players to be aware of where everyone is

I think it's cool both teams came into the league the same year and have yet to win a cup but I think your teams a bit closer. I also do not have a problem liking and rooting for Vancover from teh Western league against anybody else but Buffalo expecially after you got rid of those horrible late seveties early eighties jerseys. :P but maybe thats a bit before your time.

Anywho welcome. :flirt:

I think you'll find that most Canucks fans like the Sabres. Same year Joining the NHL, both still looking for cup #1.

Plus you guy play against the teams we hate. ;) Personally, I can't stand Boston or the Maple Laffs so it'd be really nice to see you guys get into the playoffs and sweep 'em. :w00t:

Welcome and thanks for the low down on Cody.

I think in the long run you may not be too disappointed in Kassian either. He has the potential to turn into a very good power forward. He is hard on the puck especially along the boards. Can only knock him down or the puck away from him as he rarely gets pushed off .

Oddly, most fans on the 'Nucks forum didn't like trading away CoHo either, just like seems many here didn't want togive up on Kassian.

From what I can see it's basically a crap-shoot for both GMs. Kassian could be the next Milan Lucic or he could be a bust - the next Scott Gomez. ;)

CoHo could be a great 2nd line center, or he might just be a 3rd (or 4th!) line center.

CoHo has sort of proven himself as a good 2-way player on the Canucks, so less of a gamble for Buffalo. i think that's why we got MAG as well, a reclamation project - a good talent if we can teach him how to be responsible. :unsure:

I think you'll find that most Canucks fans like the Sabres. Same year Joining the NHL, both still looking for cup #1.

Plus you guy play against the teams we hate. ;) Personally, I can't stand Boston or the Maple Laffs so it'd be really nice to see you guys get into the playoffs and sweep 'em. :w00t:

When we sweep boston, we'd prolly meet each other in the stanley cup final , don't know if they city of vancouver can take another 7 game stanley cup loss ;)

This is usual for Vancouver, if you've seen the Sedin's play its the same thing.

Oddly, most fans on the 'Nucks forum didn't like trading away CoHo either, just like seems many here didn't want togive up on Kassian.

From what I can see it's basically a crap-shoot for both GMs. Kassian could be the next Milan Lucic or he could be a bust - the next Scott Gomez. ;)

CoHo could be a great 2nd line center, or he might just be a 3rd (or 4th!) line center.

CoHo has sort of proven himself as a good 2-way player on the Canucks, so less of a gamble for Buffalo. i think that's why we got MAG as well, a reclamation project - a good talent if we can teach him how to be responsible. :unsure:

Welcome to you as well, and good post -- hope you guys stick around!

The video of the trade call suggests that the two deals were totally separate. Good luck w/ MAG; you'll need it. With Kassian, on the other hand, I think you've got a nice player.

Don't know if anyone caught the replay on NHN yesterday but I noticed something that really impressed me about this kid. It was on a long back check heading into our own zone and as he's skating into position he's got his hand up directing traffic and telling everybody where to go. That's heady stuff in the third period of a game you're getting dominated in and everybody is gassed to the point of exhaustion.

And they were gassed. It was palpable and sudden. They were doing ok up until Leino got his penalty with about four and a half to go in the second. What little energy they had was used up killing that penalty. Pommers' legs were complete rubber after that. I can't say it enough, that was a gutty effort. They'll need another one tonight.

GO SABRES!!!

Don't know if anyone caught the replay on NHN yesterday but I noticed something that really impressed me about this kid. It was on a long back check heading into our own zone and as he's skating into position he's got his hand up directing traffic and telling everybody where to go. That's heady stuff in the third period of a game you're getting dominated in and everybody is gassed to the point of exhaustion.

And they were gassed. It was palpable and sudden. They were doing ok up until Leino got his penalty with about four and a half to go in the second. What little energy they had was used up killing that penalty. Pommers' legs were complete rubber after that. I can't say it enough, that was a gutty effort. They'll need another one tonight.

GO SABRES!!!

I've been noticing things like this a lot. On pk or something like that Kaleta was on the ice and Hods flicked his hand up and told him to move over more. He sees the ice so well and I am fairly certain he is 1 of the smartest hockey players I have ever watched. I notice him on the bench talking to Pommers and Ennis a lot as well. My only hope is that as he gets more comfortable he carries the puck a touch more.

I've been noticing things like this a lot. On pk or something like that Kaleta was on the ice and Hods flicked his hand up and told him to move over more. He sees the ice so well and I am fairly certain he is 1 of the smartest hockey players I have ever watched. I notice him on the bench talking to Pommers and Ennis a lot as well. My only hope is that as he gets more comfortable he carries the puck a touch more.

I agree about him getting more touches. It's just a matter of time before his offensive numbers start to climb. It's evident what Canuck fans saw in him and why he exacted a high price in the form of Kassian and MAGs.

But his commitment to the D side has me just as excited. Like his work on backchecks. He doesn't pay it lip service. He's been backchecking DEEP into the zone to mark his man. Like deep into the slot deep. Reminds me of a young Bryan Trottier. And he seems to be holding his teammates to that standard as well. Stuff like that adds up even faster than his goals and assists in my book.

Hope Roy is watching.

GO SABRES!!!

I agree about him getting more touches. It's just a matter of time before his offensive numbers start to climb. It's evident what Canuck fans saw in him and why he exacted a high price in the form of Kassian and MAGs.

But his commitment to the D side has me just as excited. Like his work on backchecks. He doesn't pay it lip service. He's been backchecking DEEP into the zone to mark his man. Like deep into the slot deep. Reminds me of a young Bryan Trottier. And he seems to be holding his teammates to that standard as well. Stuff like that adds up even faster than his goals and assists in my book.

Hope Roy is watching.

GO SABRES!!!

I am very very hesitant to say this after 2 games however, Hodgson and his ability to backcheck and direct traffic, reminds me of Drury... please do not flip out, I am not saying that Hods is the next coming of Drury. I am just saying its the first time we have had a competent backchecking centerman since those days. I look forward to watching the kid develop.

I am very very hesitant to say this after 2 games however, Hodgson and his ability to backcheck and direct traffic, reminds me of Drury... please do not flip out, I am not saying that Hods is the next coming of Drury. I am just saying its the first time we have had a competent backchecking centerman since those days. I look forward to watching the kid develop.

I certainly won't freak out. I think it's a valid comparison at similar career stages, especially in the leadership department. It's been well-documented and commented on. His scouting reports are full of allusions to his leadership. And if he's displaying it on the ice it's only a matter of time before it carries over into the locker room. I mentioned it in another thread a few days ago, but I can't wait to hear a story of how he throws a boombox across the room after a bad practice or game. Very Drury like indeed. I think the kid is a throwback type.

GO SABRES!!!

Shouldn't back-checking just be the norm instead of an exception?

Don't your other centers do this/ :huh:

Archived