Cody Hodgson Watch

SDS

hodgson look great. very excited!

i also thought leino played VERY well last night. he is really starting to look good out there. i honestly want to see leino - hodg - stafford on a line.

although my initial thought was to put him on a line with ennis...i have a feeling he will really play well with leino.

From Vancouver Canuck fan:

Flaws

His defensive game isn't great, but he conventionally has had a good two way game in juniors and even the AHL so I fully expect it to come around. His defensive game is based around being at the right spot at the right time, he's a very intelligent player.

His skating isn't great but the rumors of him having "skating issues" are way overblown. His skating is average at the NHL level, but against teams that transition quickly he can sometimes get caught up ice. His top end speed is fine, it's his acceleration that seems to be a bit problematic.

He isn't very physical either, but he does go to all the dirty areas fearlessly. As he puts on weight he's bound to get better.

Strengths

Hodgson was our 2nd unit PP, period. He controls the play from the half boards like hes been in the NHL for years. His poise in the offensive zone is very impressive. He's an excellent passer who typically looks to set people up before he shoots. Sometimes this can fool goalies though, because his shot is top notch. He has a heavy wrister, a heavy slapper, and an almost Stamkos-ish one timer. He's a good shooter, overall. He would be best put with players that can open up space for him 5v5.

He's always had strong leadership qualities and has always been a mature player. His hockey IQ is through the roof, which much like size, cannot be taught. In his short time with us, he's earned a reputation for being a clutch goal scorer. He seems to score goals vs. tougher teams in big games, which is why many of us were excited to see him in the playoffs. He had this reputation in the junior ranks as well.

I think the kid is due to break-out. He trains with Gary Roberts in the summers with some pretty high profile NHL names. With increased ice time, a bit more size, and better line-mates I predict he scores 65 pts. next season. I see no reason why he can't.

Grabbed from Canucks fans on HF: His nickname, CoHo, obviously comes from his name, but CoHo is also the name of a very tasty salmon. Coho Salmon:

Lake_Washington_Ship_Canal_Fish_Ladder_pamphlet_-_male_freshwater_phase_Coho.jpg

This has caused several inicdents of Coho Salmon being tossed on the ice in his honor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr-BA3rhjkM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8gawXwTiEI

Now, I gotta go, uh, get a seafood dinner at the fish market, um, before heading to the game.

wha--?! this is awesome and is totally making me re-think my aversion to coho.

in fact, i had seen talk of the salmon toss on puck daddya couple of weeks ago, but had no idea it was linked with our new young center.

EDIT: i do reckon, though, that the salmon motif was a more natural fit for the folks in BC, where that fish, and specifically to coho, is native.

He's always had strong leadership qualities and has always been a mature player. His hockey IQ is through the roof, which much like size, cannot be taught. In his short time with us, he's earned a reputation for being a clutch goal scorer. He seems to score goals vs. tougher teams in big games, which is why many of us were excited to see him in the playoffs. He had this reputation in the junior ranks as well.

We need this in the worst way.

wha--?! this is awesome and is totally making me re-think my aversion to coho.

in fact, i had seen talk of the salmon toss on puck daddya couple of weeks ago, but had no idea it was linked with our new young center.

EDIT: i do reckon, though, that the salmon motif was a more natural fit for the folks in BC, where that fish, and specifically to coho, is native.

Coho Salmon is the "Prince of fishes"

Hello all, just made an account here. I've always liked the Sabres a bit but the Canucks are my number one team. I started following Buffalo more when Erhroff went there in Free-Agency and now that you have Hodgson too I'll be watching a lot more Sabres games!! Cody has been one of my favourites since he was drafted, I was devistated when he was traded.

Anyways enough about me and more about Cody, the Sabres deffinitely got the better end of this deal the kid has great vision, great hands, and a lot of heart. I'm sure you've all seen that brilliant slapper past Thomas, but he beat Jimmy Howard twice this year with that move too. He is just as good without the puck as he is with it, his offensive zone posistioning is excellent and he has a nack for scoring big goals against tough teams right when you need one. I can't praise him enough, take good care of Cody for us and don't be surprised if he turns into a franchise player.

I definitely saw this last night. Hodgson doesn't just sit there waiting for the puck. He keeps moving.

Hopefully the rest of the slacker forwards will pick up on this amazingly simple habit rather than the other way around.

Hello all, just made an account here. I've always liked the Sabres a bit but the Canucks are my number one team. I started following Buffalo more when Erhroff went there in Free-Agency and now that you have Hodgson too I'll be watching a lot more Sabres games!! Cody has been one of my favourites since he was drafted, I was devistated when he was traded.

Anyways enough about me and more about Cody, the Sabres deffinitely got the better end of this deal the kid has great vision, great hands, and a lot of heart. I'm sure you've all seen that brilliant slapper past Thomas, but he beat Jimmy Howard twice this year with that move too. He is just as good without the puck as he is with it, his offensive zone posistioning is excellent and he has a nack for scoring big goals against tough teams right when you need one. I can't praise him enough, take good care of Cody for us and don't be surprised if he turns into a franchise player.

Welcome... Hope you're right about Cody. Seems like a good player and a hard worker. Just wish he would not have chosen 19, that irks me.

Welcome... Hope you're right about Cody. Seems like a good player and a hard worker. Just wish he would not have chosen 19, that irks me.

I already worked out my coping mechanism: when he messes up I'm going to pretend it's actually Connolly and yell accordingly. When he does something good/great, he's Hodgson.

Why is his choice of number so problematic with fans? Why can't you see it as an opportunity to redefine the number? Plus, it gives all of those Connolly jerseys a new life (with a little help from a sewing kit).

I already worked out my coping mechanism: when he messes up I'm going to pretend it's actually Connolly and yell accordingly. When he does something good/great, he's Hodgson.

Nice, I'll have to try that out. Hopefully he's hodgson most of the time. But he seriously looks just like Timmy. With any luck, we will be saying "Tim who?" in a few years.

Why is his choice of number so problematic with fans? Why can't you see it as an opportunity to redefine the number? Plus, it gives all of those Connolly jerseys a new life (with a little help from a sewing kit).

One of my friends has a goathead Connolly jersey that to this day he still wears out to games. I've started lobbying to get him to change it to Hodgson (hey, how many would have a goat head Hodgson jersey?), but so far no luck. The problem is he actually LIKED Connolly when he was here, and still does....he even made a bet with his boss that Connolly would play X games and score X points this year (which he's losing miserably, by the way).

Some numbers I just don't want to see on sabres jerseys again for a while, not sure why. Also see 61.

One of my friends has a goathead Connolly jersey that to this day he still wears out to games. I've started lobbying to get him to change it to Hodgson (hey, how many would have a goat head Hodgson jersey?), but so far no luck. The problem is he actually LIKED Connolly when he was here, and still does....he even made a bet with his boss that Connolly would play X games and score X points this year (which he's losing miserably, by the way).

Does he get baked and post here frequently?

Welcome aboard, and thanks for sharing your thoughts on Cody! Hopefully last night's game was a sign of more good things to come from him.

Does he get baked and post here frequently?

:w00t: :w00t: :w00t: too funny. i actually wore my connolly (current home) jersey during the game tonight. FYI bought an Ennis third when they released that I wear to games, so I've upgraded!! and that was before TC was even off the team lol so there. :P

but yeah, I definitely plan on getting Hodgson thrown on there.

Man, changing the nameplate just seems wrong. Like revisionist history. Connolly had his good moments here, why take that away from him? It's obvious that he just "lost it" when it came to his abilities. His time in Toronto has proven it wasn't just him being a Sabre that was his problem. Dude really just unlearned hockey. It's almost sad.

Man, changing the nameplate just seems wrong. Like revisionist history. Connolly had his good moments here, why take that away from him? It's obvious that he just "lost it" when it came to his abilities. His time in Toronto has proven it wasn't just him being a Sabre that was his problem. Dude really just unlearned hockey. It's almost sad.

I'm going to keep the Connolly nameplate and hang it on my wall or something. I don't care if he never scores a goal again in his career, some of the best Sabres moments of my lifetime include him, so I'm definitely not going to take that away from him. BUT the jersey is only 3 years old and I didn't get my fair share out of it, so now that we're looking at a future star wearing the same number, I'm not gonna miss the opportunity. My only fear is that he'll go back to #9 if Roy is shipped out of town, but I donno -- he wore 19 to honor Yzerman, so he's probably comfortable with it.

I've done it, even changed the number. But then again, it was an authentic jersey and about a year old. I changed it to a Grier jersey and it will never be changed again.

So, just how many fracking eyes does Cody have on his head? These one-touch, tape to tape passes should be illegal.

His skating is average. His physicality is very much below average. His ability to know where every person is on the ice, the direction they are going, and when they will arrive at certain spots freaks the crap out of me.

Archived