Cody Hodgson Watch

SDS

With the acquisition thread focused on the trade itself, I know all eyes will be on Cody once the puck drops, so we might as well pre-emptively make a thread about it.

BTW, his name is pronounced "Hod-son" - the "g" is silent.

who was/were the last player(s) to wear that number before the league instituted a league-wide retirement of it?

According to NHL.com there have only been 4 players to wear 99 in league history:

99 -- Wayne Gretzky

There actually have been three other players (Wilf Paiement and Rick Dudley in the early 1980s, and Joe Lamb with the Montreal Canadiens in the 1930s) who also wore No. 99. But Gretzky, who idolized Gordie Howe but couldn't get No. 9 when he started playing junior hockey because a teammate had it, has turned No. 99 into the most recognizable number in hockey. No player in hockey, and maybe in any sport, is as identified with a number as Gretzky is with No. 99 -- and with his number retired throughout the League, The Great One and the NHL's last two-digit number figure to stay that way for a long time.

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=536802

Edit: not sure if I read that right - it says early 80s and talks about Joe Lamb. Maybe there were more than 4 total.

Kassian was my favorite player, basically because it was the first year of the rochester - sabres reunion and he was our first round draft pick and his first year in the AHL as well. I will be watching him on the Canucks but I will watching CoHo as well. I really hope this kid is good because I think Kassian was the type of player the Sabres have been missing on this team for a long time. Even though Kassian didn't show it yet consistently. Kassian was a big strong, physical presence on the ice with the potential of great skills to go along with it. He is very young and is going to be really good in this league, I believe when he develops with the Canucks. I compared him to Lucic. I think Ennis has been doing great as a second line center which now puts Ennis on the third line with Kaleta and Gerbe?? Interested to see the lineups on wednesday.

Kassian was my favorite player, basically because it was the first year of the rochester - sabres reunion and he was our first round draft pick and his first year in the AHL as well. I will be watching him on the Canucks but I will watching CoHo as well. I really hope this kid is good because I think Kassian was the type of player the Sabres have been missing on this team for a long time. Even though Kassian didn't show it yet consistently. Kassian was a big strong, physical presence on the ice with the potential of great skills to go along with it. He is very young and is going to be really good in this league, I believe when he develops with the Canucks. I compared him to Lucic. I think Ennis has been doing great as a second line center which now puts Ennis on the third line with Kaleta and Gerbe?? Interested to see the lineups on wednesday.

I have one problem with the constant comparison to Lucic. Lucic is mature but has a real nasty streak and loves to show it, much like Chara. Kassian had the angry kid attitude but once he started maturing stopped showing the nasty streak so much. Comparing Lucic to Kass seems like comparing Chara to Myers.

I have one problem with the constant comparison to Lucic. Lucic is mature but has a real nasty streak and loves to show it, much like Chara. Kassian had the angry kid attitude but once he started maturing stopped showing the nasty streak so much. Comparing Lucic to Kass seems like comparing Chara to Myers.

Same great taste, less filling???

Why do I feel like I just set myself up for a "THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!"

With the acquisition thread focused on the trade itself, I know all eyes will be on Cody once the puck drops, so we might as well pre-emptively make a thread about it.

BTW, his name is pronounced "Hod-son" - the "g" is silent.

Thanks for that. I thought it was Hodge-sin.

Well you have to look at some interviews of Kassian where Lindy told him to curb his game into using more of his skill. I think that he was being told to use his skill more then his toughness. If he was in boston, he would be being told to knock everyone's heads off and shoot the puck when you get a chance. IMHO.

Sabres who wore #12:

First:

Mike Byers in 1972

Others:

Andre Savard

Rick Vaive

Ken Priestlay

Mark Mancari

Ales Kotalik

Domenic Pittis

Sean McKenna

Scott Metcalfe

Greg Paslawski

Peter Ciavaglia

Peter Ambroziak

And a cookie for all my fellow Rochester Fans:

Jody Gage for 7 call-up games in 1986!

Good comparison.

Each time I read this thread title I can't help but think that this is something they'll be selling in the Sabres store soon.

They should make a watch where on the hour - it shows a clip of Cody scoring that slapper on Tim Thomas...

Sabres who wore #12:

First:

Mike Byers in 1972

Others:

Andre Savard

Rick Vaive

Ken Priestlay

Mark Mancari

Ales Kotalik

Domenic Pittis

Sean McKenna

Scott Metcalfe