Kassian to Vancouver for Hodgson

shrader

hodgson makes players around him better......vanek and Pommin ville have played the best in their careers the moment since hodgson joined them, going back to end of last season.

That is complete BS. Vanek and Pominville carried this team from Game 1 in Europe. Vanek's production actually dropped at the end of last season scoring 4 goals over the final 20 games. If anything, Marcus Foligno had a far greater impact on the Sabres in his 14 games at the end of last season than Hodgson had at the end last season in 20 games where he was mostly invisible except for a five game stretch.

That is complete BS. Vanek and Pominville carried this team from Game 1 in Europe. Vanek's production actually dropped at the end of last season scoring 4 goals over the final 20 games. If anything, Marcus Foligno had a far greater impact on the Sabres in his 14 games at the end of last season than Hodgson had at the end last season in 20 games where he was mostly invisible except for a five game stretch.

Selective stats are fun. Vanek was in the toilet and then produced a point per game over 10 after being paired with Hodgson. Nobody is saying Hodgson is carrying Vanek, only that he's contributing to his success. His play away from the puck really helps create offense, it's obvious watching it.

I agree. Last year Hodgsons contributions were negligible as were Kassians in Vancouver. This year both players have made improvements in their games. Lets hope Foligno comes on again. His line showed signs of it last game against the Bruins.

The real shame of it is that had Buffalo mgt effectively handled the shortage of centers on this team after '07 there would be no convo to have. We'd have the centers we needed AND we'd have the huge, skilled power forward.

Kassian in Vancouver is yet another symptom of this organizations bungling of the aftermath of Drury/Briere.

Bit of a stretch aye?

Bit of a stretch aye?

How do you figure? We needed centers so badly that we gave up our best forward prospect (at the time), a supposed can't miss blue chipper with uncommon size and aggression, to get one. Had we dealt with the center situation even 2 seasons ago we'd have the centers we needed AND we'd have the best power forward prospect this franchise has ever drafted. It all comes back around to losing 2 centers in one day and never replacing the loss.

If you differ, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Edited by weave

Everyone on this board is going to have to get used to the fact that Jason Pominville and Thomas Vanek have developed into Elite Talent.

Let's hope so. It's awfully early in a season in which the sabres are 3-4 to be pounding our chests about anyone.

From the beginning of last season they may be better than a Crosby/Malkin combo.

Whoa!!!

How do you figure? We needed centers so badly that we gave up our best forward prospect (at the time), a supposed can't miss blue chipper with uncommon size and aggression, to get one. Had we dealt with the center situation even 2 seasons ago we'd have the centers we needed AND we'd have the best power forward prospect this franchise has ever drafted. It all comes back around to losing 2 centers in one day and never replacing the loss.

I think you nailed it.

That's a strange comparison. I don't see much similarity at all.

I understood where you were coming from with the small skill forward claim, but not where this comparison comes from.

I agree -- hodgson and stafford are really not comparable. Stafford is an overpaid underachieving winger who is supposed to score goals; Hodgson is a young playmaking center on a cheap, early career contract whose game we're just starting to learn about.

The Sabres are chasing centers like the Bills are chasing a QB.

You think Ruff ruined Gaustad, but maybe he was just tired of being hurt? Plus, it earned him several million extra dollars to play differently.

Exactly. Lindy "ruined" Gaustad all the way to getting a first-rounder in exchange for a former 7th-rounder who can't skate, score or pass, plus getting him an 8-figure NHL contract. If Gaustad has 6 kids, he will probably name all of them "Lindy."

Kassian is no more aggresive then stafford. the only major differences in their physical games is Kassian is more willing to fight (think he was told he had to on the first line) and is better at shielding the puck. neither is that great of a hitter and kassian is certainly a dirtier hitter.

Anyone that compares CoHo to Adams centering the top line favorably for Adams is either related to Adams, smoking crack, trolling, or clueless on hockey. I remember watching Adams center that top line and he lucked into some points was generally out of position in most zones and was carried by his wingers. CoHo by comparison has struggled in defensive coverage against teams top players lucked into a couple goals been involved in the play with his wingers and opened up chances for his wingers. To go online gaming nerd I would say Adams on the top line proced a buff that decreased that lines nuke strength. Where as CoHo proced the buff that increased the nuke strength.

The only quibble I have is calling Kassian a blue chip can't miss prospect. He was as likely to hit as to flop. I do agree with the rest though.

Exactly. Lindy "ruined" Gaustad all the way to getting a first-rounder in exchange for a former 7th-rounder who can't skate, score or pass, plus getting him an 8-figure NHL contract. If Gaustad has 6 kids, he will probably name all of them "Lindy."

The Sabres spent last off-season trying to bring in the player qualities that Gaustad was suppose to bring.

You are going to argue based off of 52 games that Zack Kassian is the best power forward prospect ever drafted in 41 years? Yea thats a major stretch and considering what he did here, I completely disagree. Also You assume that if we drafted Centers in say 07-09 we would have Kassian but thats a stretch too because we probably would have reached and good have easily missed on those picks.

Kassian is decent for a young guy but Hogson was needed and is needed by this franchise and Hodgson has shown great improvement in a short amount of time so I have no issue with Kassian being gone.

You are going to argue based off of 52 games that Zack Kassian is the best power forward prospect ever drafted in 41 years? Yea thats a major stretch and considering what he did here, I completely disagree. Also You assume that if we drafted Centers in say 07-09 we would have Kassian but thats a stretch too because we probably would have reached and good have easily missed on those picks.

Kassian is decent for a young guy but Hogson was needed and is needed by this franchise and Hodgson has shown great improvement in a short amount of time so I have no issue with Kassian being gone.

Plus Foglino made Kassian expendable.

He's certainly the best power forward prospect of the last 20 years. I can't think of anyone with his level of hype/potential.

Plus Foglino made Kassian expendable.

That's really silly. There's no reason we couldn't keep both. I'd sign up for a Foligno clone right now. It's not like having one Foligno makes having another Foligno would be useless.

The real shame of it is that had Buffalo mgt effectively handled the shortage of centers on this team after '07 there would be no convo to have. We'd have the centers we needed AND we'd have the huge, skilled power forward.

Kassian in Vancouver is yet another symptom of this organizations bungling of the aftermath of Drury/Briere.

I think this is dead-on accurate, BTW. Black Sunday set this organization back in every single way and many (most?) of the moves to fix it since then have either failed or made things worse.

yeah, but their coach knows how to use their small soft forwards. :devil:

I really thought the Sabres should have "gooned" it up and physically hurt the Habs. Not sure if it would have mattered but it couldn't have been worse than their original strategy.

I really thought the Sabres should have "gooned" it up and physically hurt the Habs. Not sure if it would have mattered but it couldn't have been worse than their original strategy.

What was their original strategy?

And I though COHO deserved a penalty shot last night, would have been exciting to see