Kassian to Vancouver for Hodgson

shrader

Yes, but the Kassian departure only matters if he's actually a good player, right? i.e. if his minutes continue to dwindle and he ends up as a marginal player, then turning him into Hodgy had to be the right call, yes?

No! and No!

This franchise needs a heart transplant. For years this roster has been littered with tin men with talent. This team needs to be adding players like Kassian not trading them away. Bring in tough young hockey players and find a coach that can develop them and give this franchise the identity it has been missing for a long long time.

As I said before, I've seen Cody Hodgson types come and go over the years, in the end they never really made a difference. Jason Dawe, Brian Holzinger, Donald Audette, Derek Plante and the list goes on and on.

So then Foligno represents that departure from the soft forwards you spoke of up thread? A skilled young player at a position of need PLUS more of a Kassian then even Kassian himself. Nice.

GO SABRES!!!

I'd rather have Kassian and Foligno.

No! and No!

This franchise needs a heart transplant. For years this roster has been littered with tin men with talent. This team needs to be adding players like Kassian not trading them away. Bring in tough young hockey players and find a coach that can develop them and give this franchise the identity it has been missing for a long long time.

As I said before, I've seen Cody Hodgson types come and go over the years, in the end they never really made a difference. Jason Dawe, Brian Holzinger, Donald Audette, Derek Plante and the list goes on and on.

But what if Kassian turns out to be only the concept of Kassian? Ie what if he's just another tin man, albeit in a big body? The jury is still out on this critical question.

No! and No!

Kassian was one of the few players that Canucks wanted for a talented young center who works his ass off. This was a chance to shake up the old core (Hodgson made Roy expendable), and Darcy pulled the trigger. This was one of the few times Darcy actually did something (when people always whine about his inactivity). As for the bolded, you've seen 23 year old Cody Hodgson play 36 games as a Sabre and you know he's not going to make a difference? I think you let your romantic views on talented physical players

No! and No!

Haha that list of players makes me laugh... Of course if you are trying to be serious with it then it makes me sad that your years of suffering sabrefandom has made you pick past players that don't really match the player your complaining about

But what if Kassian turns out to be only the concept of Kassian? Ie what if he's just another tin man, albeit in a big body? The jury is still out on this critical question.

It's about a change of philosophy for the franchise more than it has to do with Kassian becoming the next (place name here). Even if Regier "wins" this trade, you add it together with all the other trades Regier "won" and the sum total is that his time as Sabres GM has been a failure. This team still has the same problems it has had for years.

Haha that list of players makes me laugh... Of course if you are trying to be serious with it then it makes me sad that your years of suffering sabrefandom has made you pick past players that don't really match the player your complaining about

You either are ignoring the point or just don't understand it.

Edited by DeLuca67

Well...he got into more fights protecting the Sedins the first week of the season than Tyler Myers has in his career........and he busted both of their faces open to draw blood.

Take it for what it's worth.

Well...he got into more fights protecting the Sedins the first week of the season than Tyler Myers has in his career........and he busted both of their faces open to draw blood.

Take it for what it's worth.

Stafford got into a fight early in the season too. Let's see what both of them are up to after the initial rush has worn off.

Kassian was one of the few players that Canucks wanted for a talented young center who works his ass off. This was a chance to shake up the old core (Hodgson made Roy expendable), and Darcy pulled the trigger. This was one of the few times Darcy actually did something (when people always whine about his inactivity). As for the bolded, you've seen 23 year old Cody Hodgson play 36 games as a Sabre and you know he's not going to make a difference? I think you let your romantic views on talented physical players

I agree that the Cnaucks wanted Kassian, and you have to give up something of value to get something, but I disagree that just because they got Hodgson, it made Roy expendable. They got rid of Roy for Ott (to fill a void left by getting rid of Kassian basically) it ends up being more shuffling of the chairs around here. Now, I have no problems with them getting rid of roy, the biggest issue was not trying to get someone else in here to replace him. I would rather have Hodgson fighting for the #1 C job on a team with someone else who could be a #1 C, then him given the spot. you don't get any better by just re-shuffling, this team needed upgrades, Whats the point in bringing in a Vet like Ott when your plan is to go young and let youth learn on the job at the NHL level.

The team would be much better if the decision to keep Grigs in the NHL was made because they have too much talent at C to keep him up, rather then him being the best/only option

I agree that the Cnaucks wanted Kassian, and you have to give up something of value to get something, but I disagree that just because they got Hodgson, it made Roy expendable. They got rid of Roy for Ott (to fill a void left by getting rid of Kassian basically) it ends up being more shuffling of the chairs around here. Now, I have no problems with them getting rid of roy, the biggest issue was not trying to get someone else in here to replace him. I would rather have Hodgson fighting for the #1 C job on a team with someone else who could be a #1 C, then him given the spot. you don't get any better by just re-shuffling, this team needed upgrades, Whats the point in bringing in a Vet like Ott when your plan is to go young and let youth learn on the job at the NHL level.

The team would be much better if the decision to keep Grigs in the NHL was made because they have too much talent at C to keep him up, rather then him being the best/only option

Who here would dispute that? Unfortunately, this team doesn't have that other C to challenge Hodgson's role on the 1st line, but they also didn't have that other center to challenge Roy's role there either.

IMHO, Vanek would not be playing as well this season with Roy centering for him as he's been with Hodgson. Even if Kassian were still here, the Sabres do not have another player on the roster that brings what Ott brings. I don't see Ott filling Kassian's role, I see him filling a role that hasn't been adequately filled on this roster since Dumont left and that's a role that a guy as young as Kassian probably isn't ready to fill. Foligno is trying to fill it, but he's not there yet either. (Not to say that Ott and Dumont are the same type of player, Dumont brought far more to the offensive end and was pretty much lost in his own end, but they both bring/brought a grit that's been lacking for a long time.) It stinks that they had to give up Zach to get Cody, but it still looks to me like a good trade for the Sabres.

Having seen Kassian play a lot he's dropped off considerably since being taken off top line. I not talking about points just his play. He really doesn't look that good unless he's with the twins. He has the odd good game but he looks slow and uninterested.

Hodgson does not take a shift off and works hard.

I like this trade for buffalo still.

The Sabres should be a better team having Ott and Hodgson, instead of Roy and Kassian. Why aren't we better.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record.....because Roy, for all his faults, could handle the top matchups defensively allowing our other lines to start more in the offensive end and play easier competition. With Roy gone, and no real replacement, we're left with defensively inept centers needing to play in their own zone way too much.

Having seen Kassian play a lot he's dropped off considerably since being taken off top line. I not talking about points just his play. He really doesn't look that good unless he's with the twins. He has the odd good game but he looks slow and uninterested.

That's a whole lot of wishful thinking right there.

Hodgson is still a defensive liability. He's young but from what I've seen at times he's a turnover machine. I hope as he develops that aspect of his game disappears. If not ?

I didn't say he has a perfect game but he's not a floater. I won't be dragged into a mudslinging match with others but I would rather have CH than Zack. He's been invisible again for the Canucks again.

Hodgson is still a defensive liability. He's young but from what I've seen at times he's a turnover machine. I hope as he develops that aspect of his game disappears. If not ?

Nobody else seems to notice that..other than us.

It was kind like following Myers play in the d zone last year and wondering what are people here watching?

Edited by waldo

I agree. Watching Kassian on a nightly basis is frustrating. The only time he's hustling is when he's in the offensive zone or about to put a check on someone. He doesn't come all the way back to help out defensively and coasts a lot. I think it would only be worse if he was on the Sabres with a bunch of coasters. Both team filled "needs" but I think Buffalo will benefit most.

Yes....Kassian scored more on the first line.....imagine if Hodgson centered Hecht and Gerbe? How many points would he have?

And I guess much like the chicken and the egg, would you rather have a guy who plays 3rd line on a division leader that has 67% more points 1/3 through the season over a 1st line player on a team in the dumpster?

We shall see......

i hate that wording.

Sorry...he's now on the 3rd line of a team with 90% more points than the Sabres, 3/8 of the way through the season..................

Yes. The Canucks have 90% more points than the Sabres because Kassian plays on the third line.

GO SABRES!!!