Kassian to Vancouver for Hodgson

shrader

the stuff in the article and upthread about hodgson being a bit big for his britches is fine by me, provided he's the sort of guy who is committed to achieving/playing a game that matches his elevated self-conception of himself.

and i think that is who hodgson is -- the video that chz posted about how he works out with gary roberts' "biosteel" camp gives me that sense. the guy thinks that he is/can be the best player on the ice at any given time, and appears prepared to work hard enough to make that happen.

I thought I heard that Daniel Catenacci does that camp too? Can anyone confirm this?

It’s a belief and attitude instilled by his father Chris, a former provincial cabinet minister, now a mining executive.

Isn't that the industry TPegs is in? He and Cody's dad should be able to have some good conversations.

Speaking of Luongo. I forget which thread it was, but yesterday we were talking about the possibility of an amnesty clause in the new CBA allowing teams to buy out one bad contract without a cap hit.

Rick DiPetro is probably sweating somewhere.

That's exactly why it was a good trade in the present. The Sabres got something they might need and gave up something they didn't need. And thanks again for the good read.

I am not convinced of this in bold, but there is no question we are in better shape down the middle.

If Sulzer holds his current level of play, then Buffalo is the clear winner of this trade.

Yes, I think this will be the deciding factor. Kassian will be fine. Look how long we had to wait for Hodgson's first points. And Vancouver doesn't juggle lines nearly as often as Lindy does, so it could take Kass a while yet to find his true linemates. But Sulzer. This is what's making me think Darcy is way smarter than I EVER gave him credit for. Dude makes us better. Has since he started.

Yes, I think this will be the deciding factor. Kassian will be fine. Look how long we had to wait for Hodgson's first points. And Vancouver doesn't juggle lines nearly as often as Lindy does, so it could take Kass a while yet to find his true linemates. But Sulzer. This is what's making me think Darcy is way smarter than I EVER gave him credit for. Dude makes us better. Has since he started.

The real question is what to do about Sulzer after this year given his upcoming UFA status. We have Mcnabb, Pysik, Brennan, Schiestel, and Gauthier-Leduc in the pipeline.

The real question is what to do about Sulzer after this year given his upcoming UFA status. We have Mcnabb, Pysik, Brennan, Schiestel, and Gauthier-Leduc in the pipeline.

Yeah, but Leo is probably on the way out, we could lose one or two to free agency down the road. You can't have too many defensive prospects.

Yeah, but Leo is probably on the way out, we could lose one or two to free agency down the road. You can't have too many defensive prospects.

Perhaps they'll move some of the pipeline assets along with the two 1st round 2012 picks to move up into the top of the draft.

McNabb, Pysyk and Brennan are the only ones I consider real prospects at this point. Schiestel is on his way out of the organization, and Gauthier-Leduc is putting up a ton of points as an offensive defenseman in a league that doesn't play defense--we have less than zero idea how his game will translate.

Perhaps they'll move some of the pipeline assets along with the two 1st round 2012 picks to move up into the top of the draft.

Or for Dustin Brown (if he actually becomes available) or Nash (still not a fan, but I won't discount the possibility that we try to get him if we get on his list). At this point I'd be really surprised if we use all 4 of our draft picks in the first two rounds, keep all of our prospects, and keep our current defense corps. Something's gotta give, and I think it will. Just not sure what to expect yet.

Since the acquisition of Hodgson and Ennis' emergence as a legitimate center, I think this has to be priority #1 heading into the offseason.

Agreed. The wildcard is, I don't think we'll have the cap space for a big name player like Brown or Nash unless someone else gets moved, so we may have to fill that hole as well.

Agreed. The wildcard is, I don't think we'll have the cap space for a big name player like Brown or Nash unless someone else gets moved, so we may have to fill that hole as well.

And Sulzer would do an adequate to admirable job of filling in for that slot. (Assuming the player moved to fit pieces in is Leopold (who I am in no rush to hurry out the door, but it does make sense from a contract point of view).)

Brown only makes about $3.2 million, it's one of the best contracts in the NHL so I doubt he's an issue to fit in. Plus I'm sure we'd have to offload somebody valuable to get him anyway. Nash/Parise on the other hand will certainly require some offloading.

Tropp is doing fine, but let's be honest about this: Tropp is not a top-6 RW on a contender.

If the plan is going to be to roll 3 more or less equal lines, there have to be some cheap players in the mix. Tropp doesn't need the puck and is doing the dirty work reasonably well. Meanwhile, Hodgy and Vanek look like they are developing some chemistry.

If Brown is obtainable -- great. I won't say no. But let's not lose sight of the fact that for the first time in half a season Vanek looks like a weapon again.

I know, as much as I have really liked his game, I don't think we can re-sign him. Too many guys knocking on the door in Ra Cha Cha.

If the plan is going to be to roll 3 more or less equal lines, there have to be some cheap players in the mix. Tropp doesn't need the puck and is doing the dirty work reasonably well. Meanwhile, Hodgy and Vanek look like they are developing some chemistry.

If Brown is obtainable -- great. I won't say no. But let's not lose sight of the fact that for the first time in half a season Vanek looks like a weapon again.

That would be my exact plan: roll 3 lines, 2 scoring and 1 hybrid. Foligno is cheap (900K), Ennis will be relatively cheap (I expect a Stafford-esque second contract 2 year $4 million contract) and Hodgson is relatively cheap ($1.6).

Vanek-Hodgson-Brown

Foligno-Ennis-Stafford

Leino-Roy-Pominville

I'd be perfectly comfortable with this lineup heading into next season. I'm not opposed to offloading Roy, but at this point I don't want to rely on Luke Adam to fill his role, so we'd have to find somebody else viable...and I can think of worse things in the world than Roy in a contract year when at his age it's his last chance to cash in big time. Also, in any deal for Brown, I'm assuming we're dumping a few million of salary (Sekera or Leopold, for instance). I don't think money is an issue unless we're trying to add Parise or Nash.

I know, as much as I have really liked his game, I don't think we can re-sign him. Too many guys knocking on the door in Ra Cha Cha.

None of the guys mentioned including McNabb have shown they are ready to be top 6 blueliners in the NHL come 12-13(the closest may be Brennan). In addition, unless Sulzer's agent loses his mind, he should come reasonably priced @ 1mil per season.

Edited by LabattBlue

None of the guys mentioned including McNabb have shown they are ready to be top 6 blueliners in the NHL come 12-13(the closest may be Brennan). In addition, unless SUlzer's agent loses his mind, he should come reasonably priced @ 1mil per season.

I think Brennan is ready, I really liked what I saw of him when he was up here. Of course I don't want to start both him and McNabb at once, so re-signing Sulzer would be a good move to me, especially if we trade one of our current defensemen.