Kassian to Vancouver for Hodgson

shrader

I don't like Grags game. He's all over the ice but doesn't impress me. Sulzer is a solid Dman. And he's come closer to scoring (post).

I'm telling you we got the better of this trade.

I said this in another thread but Hodgson must be tired. The Canucks went out East for a roadie and CH was traded after they'd come back out West. Then back to Buf for a physical, back West. Now back East with no consecutive days off. Just sayin

Edited by rickshaw

Sulzer is a very reliable D-Men. He chips it in and get's out out of the zone. He keeps it simple. He might no take the puck behind the net and rush it end to end but I dont wanna see Sulzer doing that. If he continues his strong defensive play and is backing up Ehrhoff if he goes on the attack thats totally ok with me.

I don't like Grags game. He's all over the ice but doesn't impress me. Sulzer is a solid Dman. And he's come closer to scoring (post).

I said this in another thread but Hodgson must be tired. The Canucks went out East for a roadie and CH was traded after they'd come back out West. Then back to Buf for a physical, back West. Now back East with no consecutive days off. Just sayin

Sulzer is a very reliable D-Men. He chips it in and get's out out of the zone. He keeps it simple. He might no take the puck behind the net and rush it end to end but I dont wanna see Sulzer doing that. If he continues his strong defensive play and is backing up Ehrhoff if he goes on the attack thats totally ok with me.

Seems to be dunnit?

I'm pretty impressed with our D right now. As others have mentioned, I think the offseason will be mostly offensive players. Spend the right money on the player that can add something to this lineup. i.e. we don't need any more Gerbe's.

As for MAG -- Vigneault must like him a little, because he's not being healthy-scratched, right? Wasn't Sulzer the #7 guy when he got traded? So MAG has come in and taken someone's spot? Or is one of the other defensemen injured? Not arguing, just asking.

I think MAG has potential but he has a long way to go before he's as steady defensively as Sulzer looked last night.

As for getting the better of the trade -- I hope you're right and kinda expect this to be the case, but we're a long way from knowing. I'd sure like to see some finish out of Hodgson (or his linemates, or really anyone on the Sabres).

Seems to be dunnit?

I'm pretty impressed with our D right now. As others have mentioned, I think the offseason will be mostly offensive players. Spend the right money on the player that can add something to this lineup. i.e. we don't need any more Gerbe's.

Me too. But those forwards make me want to throw a rock at my screen. At the end of the year when I feel like getting myself PO'd I'm going to check the schedule and count the number of 3-1 losses and the number of periods with 7 shots on goal or less.

Mags is a group 6 FA. The Canucks want to get him into 12 games so they keep him an RFA. That way they only have to offer him 10% above his current salary(I believe) if he doesn't reach the 80 game mark he's unrestricted.

As for MAG -- Vigneault must like him a little, because he's not being healthy-scratched, right? Wasn't Sulzer the #7 guy when he got traded? So MAG has come in and taken someone's spot? Or is one of the other defensemen injured? Not arguing, just asking.

I think MAG has potential but he has a long way to go before he's as steady defensively as Sulzer looked last night.

As for getting the better of the trade -- I hope you're right and kinda expect this to be the case, but we're a long way from knowing. I'd sure like to see some finish out of Hodgson (or his linemates, or really anyone on the Sabres).

Me too. But those forwards make me want to throw a rock at my screen. At the end of the year when I feel like getting myself PO'd I'm going to check the schedule and count the number of 3-1 losses and the number of periods with 7 shots on goal or less.

Ballard is out with a capcussion.

i still can't get over what you guys did to your own city after losing the cup. was it fun?

Meh, it was way overblown.

A few punks busting windows, doing damage & such. It would be a total non-story if the mayor and cops had done their job.

Welcome to the boards!! We need some more females here posting, that is for damned sure. So what are your thoughts on our coach still not having put old CoHo with our two top scorers to see what he's got?

How would that look, to have a $1.5 mil rookie on the top line, and drop the $4 million dollar man (Roy) down the depth chart?

maybe they want to showcase Roy?

Maybe they they think he can turn Leino into a 10 goal scorer? :P

Strangely, Sulzer was #8, behind Rome and Alberts up until Ballard (#5 depth) got injured.

I don't know why the coach didn't play Sulzer more, Rome & Alberts were prone to bonehead plays, without the offensive upside of MAG. :wallbash:

If MAG is still playing come playoff time, he'll likely need Ballard or Hamhuis to babysit him. :unsure:

Our GM pobably figured that MAG can be straightened out into a responsible D-man. :huh:

Being no hockey expert...could any of you experts explain to me how so many so called 'offensive' forwards on the sabres who get so much ice time over so many games can score so few goals??--I mean even if you lobbed the puck in the general direction of the net a few will bounce by the goalie over time.So to try and score goals and have only 4 or 6 or 8 at this time of the year being full time players making millions....-I think james patrick could go out there at his age and score 7 or 8 goals over 70 games if he played enough. Lindy could probbly score 3-4.

i will admit: i had been struggling to take the long-view with hodgson over the last few games, to hold off the TSC thoughts intruding into my mind, and remain in team candyland (???) when it comes to #19 (and his TOI last night specifically).

and then this.

https://twitter.com/...8846848/photo/1

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.

i will admit: i had been struggling to take the long-view with hodgson over the last few games, to hold off the TSC thoughts intruding into my mind, and remain in team candyland (???) when it comes to #19 (and his TOI last night specifically).

and then this.

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.

Sunshine and Kittens

and then this.

So LR shouldn't be talking to his players? Or is this like getting called to the principals office and everyone goes oooooooohhhhhh

Meh. James Neal was a far more seasoned player when he came over to Pittsburgh last year and he did very little there. This year, he's only got 30G, 65P in 68GP, and was just given a 5 year, $30 million contract.

It does take time to learn your teammates, especially for skill players. Add to that, the extreme travel log and the increased ice time (prior to last night), and it's not too surprising that he's not producing yet. He's basically a rookie, who hasn't really practiced with his team. The raw skill is there, you can see it at times, but he wasn't brought in to be the solution this year; he was brought in to hopefully be a long-run solution. I'd like to see him produce on this stretch run, but next year is when I'd actually expect to see production. It's not a TSC vs. SAK things, but rather the realization of what they really traded for (basically, a prospect) and the realities of deadline deals.

Edited by carpandean

Or is this like getting called to the principals office and everyone goes oooooooohhhhhh

This, except Ruff isn't the prinicpal, he's the teacher, and Cody's staying after class to work on his arithmetic.

Because the team's been on the road and playing games, Hodgson only had his first full practice with the team within the last week(end?). We're playing important hockey and he wants to catch up to the system, not to mention contribute on the stat line. And who knows, maybe that's the first time Ruff has gotten a chance to work with Cody one on one on the ice.

Meh. James Neal was a far more seasoned player when he came over to Pittsburgh last year and he did very little there. This year, he's only got 30G, 65P in 68GP, and was just given a 5 year, $30 million contract.

It does take time to learn your teammates, especially for skill players. Add to that, the extreme travel log and the increased ice time (prior to last night), and it's not too surprising that he's not producing yet. He's basically a rookie, who hasn't really practiced with his team. The raw skill is there, you can see it at times, but he wasn't brought in to be the solution this year; he was brought in to hopefully be a long-run solution. I'd like to see him produce on this stretch run, but next year is when I'd actually expect to see production. It's not a TSC vs. SAK things, but rather the realization of what they really traded for (basically, a prospect) and the realities of deadline deals.

If you are looking for a Sabre example you can go back to Stu Barnes who did nothing when he got here and then made a nice career for himself. Hodgson is not like past deadline day failures. He is here long term and has the ability to be a star.

and then this.

what is it??? I cant see that at work

So LR shouldn't be talking to his players? Or is this like getting called to the principals office and everyone goes oooooooohhhhhh

no, of course he should be talking to his players. especially a new one who seems to be struggling a bit to adapt.

there was just something about the image that allowed me to feel a certain weakness for the preachings of TSC.

snip

thanks for this.

It's not a TSC vs. SAK thing

i need another refresher. SAK = Sunshine and Kittens? (i think d4rk gave this to me upthread.) i thought we had settled on the Candyland Gang.

what is it??? I cant see that at work

just a grainy phone pic of lindy having a post-practice heart to heart with hodgson.

Edited by That Aud Smell

I'm still hoping we can settle on not using those stupid names at all.

I agree and have almost posted this sentiment many, many times. Not only are they incredibly juvenile, but they aren't even relevant today. Is there a single person out there that thinks this team doesn't have major issues?

A certain faction of people wanted to wait and see what would happen to the team dynamics under Pegula, by only changing one piece at a time - the other faction didn't want to wait and wanted to fire the owner, the partner, the GM, the coach, and the players all at the same time.

Regardless, I see little evidence that anyone thinks the team that takes the ice now is set for success.