What are you currently reading?

darksabre

My girlfriend informs me (as she reads over my shoulder ;)) that she researched the outbreak and believes parts of the book to be plagiarized. I don't know if anyone else has ever made this observation but it's certainly worth noting.

Huh. Well, I enjoyed it even if he didn't give credit where credit is due. :P

Just finished (literally) Milan Kundera's "The Unbearable Lightness of Being." Great book, it really delves into determinism and life/love between four people under Soviet oppression. Would recommend it to everyone; deals with some heavy stuff, but real easy to read

Reamde by Neal Stephenson. I'm not going to say his books are great works of literary art that will stand the test of time, just entertaining. Think the Divinci Code or Indiana Jones but with a decidedly geeky shift. Essentially, written for people like me.

• 1 month later...

As part of my vacation plans for the week, I brought many books with me to this cabin in Old Forge. Currently working through my first selection in the draft, "Then Perreault Said to Rico...". It's a nice easy read and some of the stories really help remind me what it means to be a fan of the Sabres. A good choice to salve the wounds of a long playoff drought. I hope Darcy reads it...

• 5 weeks later...

James Joyce had a warped mind, and he used meaningless word-smything to try to corrupt other people's minds. I hated reading Ulysses, and took great offence with our "distinguished" professor who forced it upon us as a follow up (not) to Homer's Odyssey. OK, well perhaps there is a motif in Ulysses concerning the "search for a father figure". And that does make for a timely social commentary because so many of today's families are broken and/or led by highly dysfunctional people akin to Stephen. But, as the poster stated, no solutions are offered. Or was eating Plumtrees Potted Meat a current topic of the 1920's?

On that front, I just finished reading "Singularity Sky" by Charles Stross. At least this book was a current social commentary as a commentary on the collapse of Soviet Union disguised as a space opera. It even tries to make a case for a laissez-faire anarchism using the Internet as a vague analogy....another product of a creative but somewhat warped mind.</p></p>

Discuss.

Briefly, because I don't want to give too much away in case someone wants to read it:

Karlsson, a 100-year-old resident of a nursing home in Sweden, decides on his 100th birthday to not attend the party in his honor, and instead, to climb out his window. He gets to a bus station, where he is asked by a thug to watch a suitcase while thug is in the bathroom. But his bus is about to leave. So he says "f it, I'm 100, let's get crazy" and takes the suitcase. Which contains 50 million kroner. He spends much of the novel on the run from criminals and police alike, and the people who join him along the way are incredibly entertaining.

That's the main line. In between chapters of the main story line, you learn about Karlsson's life and history, which is amazing in itself. At the point I'm at, he's about to have lunch with Presidents Johnson and de Gaulle on May 1, 1968. The history that this character has witnessed and has been a part of is incredible. This book is brilliant.

James Joyce had a warped mind, and he used meaningless word-smything to try to corrupt other people's minds. I hated reading Ulysses, and took great offence with our "distinguished" professor who forced it upon us as a follow up (not) to Homer's Odyssey. OK, well perhaps there is a motif in Ulysses concerning the "search for a father figure". And that does make for a timely social commentary because so many of today's families are broken and/or led by highly dysfunctional people akin to Stephen. But, as the poster stated, no solutions are offered. Or was eating Plumtrees Potted Meat a current topic of the 1920's?

On that front, I just finished reading "Singularity Sky" by Charles Stross. At least this book was a current social commentary as a commentary on the collapse of Soviet Union disguised as a space opera. It even tries to make a case for a laissez-faire anarchism using the Internet as a vague analogy....another product of a creative but somewhat warped mind.</p></p>

I loved Ulysses. In my Joyce class all those years ago, we spent one week on Portrait of the Artist and the entire rest of the semester on Ulysses.

I'm just happy that we didn't have to read Finnegan's Wake.

I loved Ulysses. In my Joyce class all those years ago, we spent one week on Portrait of the Artist and the entire rest of the semester on Ulysses.

I'm just happy that we didn't have to read Finnegan's Wake.

To each his own. I'm just a huge KISS fan (not the band). I find the James Joyces and Camille Paglias of this world to be an annoying waste of time and energy. I'm a follower of William James; he was pragmatic but had excellent diction. And I'm a follower of Jesus. Jesus used word-play and poetry, but with simple words and pictures drawn from everyman's daily life.

Briefly, because I don't want to give too much away in case someone wants to read it:

Karlsson, a 100-year-old resident of a nursing home in Sweden, decides on his 100th birthday to not attend the party in his honor, and instead, to climb out his window. He gets to a bus station, where he is asked by a thug to watch a suitcase while thug is in the bathroom. But

The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared.

Is it a traditional Swedish thing to name books about the character (The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest, etc.), a translation anomaly, or a fad?

Karlsson, a 100-year-old resident of a nursing home in Sweden, decides on his 100th birthday to not attend the party in his honor, and instead, to climb out his window. He gets to a bus station, where he is asked by a thug to watch a suitcase while thug is in the bathroom. But his bus is about to leave. So he says "f it, I'm 100, let's get crazy" and takes the suitcase. Which contains 50 million kroner. He spends much of the novel on the run from criminals and police alike, and the people who join him along the way are incredibly entertaining.

That's the main line. In between chapters of the main story line, you learn about Karlsson's life and history, which is amazing in itself. At the point I'm at, he's about to have lunch with Presidents Johnson and de Gaulle on May 1, 1968. The history that this character has witnessed and has been a part of is incredible. This book is brilliant.

Sounds entertaining. I'll have to keep that one in mind.

The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared.

I can't put it down. It's amazing.

Yeah, I had the same experience when I read it, could not put it down. Alan Karlsson is a MAN! The book runs out of steam a little bit towards the end, but it's still a great whimsical read.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.