Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

That's a sign of a ###### professor. I'm sorry but that's complete bull. What the hell do you learn from a situation like that?

Tonight is the final crit of my first class. I love those kids (except for the one girl I've discussed in the complaint thread). This is something I never knew I could or would do. My students have already told me that they plan on visiting me next semester, and my class is full (and beyond) already for Spring. I think they have me signed in for next Fall already, as well.

So although I'm stressed and depressed (god i hate the holidays), it's good to know I did something right. Their work has come so far- they've all improved so so so much. I have to select about 6 works from the class for a display case and I'm happy to say that the 6 I plan on grabbing are all really great pieces that I'm proud to have overseen. A couple of those pieces are professional level.

It's awesome.

:beer:

My Calc exam today was the same way, I may very well get an A or B with what would normally be a failing grade :P I'm not used to that at all, for sure.

I have an exam in about five hours but some people on my floor have decreed themselves exempt from quiet hours again :(

Damn man good that sucks, good luck with your test. I'd have lost it by now living in your dorm by the sound of it. Does nobody have to study where you live?

That's a sign of a ###### professor. I'm sorry but that's complete bull. What the hell do you learn from a situation like that?

Tonight is the final crit of my first class. I love those kids (except for the one girl I've discussed in the complaint thread). This is something I never knew I could or would do. My students have already told me that they plan on visiting me next semester, and my class is full (and beyond) already for Spring. I think they have me signed in for next Fall already, as well.

So although I'm stressed and depressed (god i hate the holidays), it's good to know I did something right. Their work has come so far- they've all improved so so so much. I have to select about 6 works from the class for a display case and I'm happy to say that the 6 I plan on grabbing are all really great pieces that I'm proud to have overseen. A couple of those pieces are professional level.

It's awesome.

If you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life. I'd love to be a professor, though it'd have to be a college level one, I don't think I have the patience for students younger than that.

What is a "crit?" A critique?

If you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life. I'd love to be a professor, though it'd have to be a college level one, I don't think I have the patience for students younger than that.

What is a "crit?" A critique?

Crit- critique. Put up the project, everyone discusses it, basically. They can be pretty interesting sometimes. Some people do NOT handle critique well. It can be tough to run one when you get a student who reacts poorly. Gotta really watch what you say...

Yeah, I'm glad I'm teaching college. It's more rewarding- I can really help them finesse their style rather than just tell them about the basics. Should my full time job ever not work out, I would consider going for a Masters to do it full time, despite knowing that it's a nightmare to deal with (tenure track, politics and all of that. all of my former profs told me not to go that direction if I could help it).

This is pretty awesome:

http://www.nytimes.c...-return-it.html

A Russian entrepreneur and philanthropist revealed on Tuesday that he was the winning bidder at the auction of James D. Watson’s 1962 Nobel Prize last week and that he planned to return the medal to Dr. Watson — “the person who deserved it.”

In a statement, Mr. Usmanov indicated that he was distressed that Dr. Watson was selling the medal in order to give much of the proceeds to charity, and he wanted to fulfill Dr. Watson’s charitable impulse without forcing him to give up the physical manifestation of his prize.

Edited by biodork

Laser cannons are officially a thing:

http://youtu.be/REHt44BuASk

Val Kilmer is gonna be soon pissed that the Navy weaponized his design...

Damn't, beat me to it. :clapping:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyZ4gGCCqss

Edit: Can anyone explain the brown hand prints all over the walls in that scene? :blink:

Edited by WildCard

So yesterday some snow hit Rochester. I left the downtown office at 430 to get to my 6 pm class at RIT and grab some donuts/coffee at Timmy Ho's on the way for our final class.

Traffic was abysmal. Just a 10 mph crawl, no plows, and I realize bitching about crappy weather is a moot point after the Buffalo snow cannon last month, but it sucked major balls.

On the final leg of the journey, a police car stops my lane. "Whatever" , I think... "I still have about 20 minutes before class and I'm about 2 minutes away". Well, I felt like a dick getting angrier and angrier as the minutes ticked by since some poor person in a jeep was getting winched out of a ditch, but the last class? 6 pm comes and goes. ######, those kids are gonna leave. I don't want to reschedule.

Wrote 'em a quick email explaining the situation. A bit later the cop lets us go, I'm late. Kids all cheer as I walk in, but then, college age kids will cheer anyone bearing donuts and caffeine.

Class went well, got some silly comics/thank you notes. Check my email today, and saw they'd sent me this in response to my pissed off "i'm stuck" email.

xsPKNDH.png

Warmed the bitter cockles of my heart. I'm gonna miss those guys.

I had a bone marrow biopsy recently. (No need to celebrate, it came back negative and I have 48 years to post.) I was told before the procedure that the diagnostics on the sample would be done by a company in my insurance network, hence it would be at very little, if any, cost to me. I then get one of those EOB letters from the insurance company stating that the company out in California is not in my network, and I might be billed 14 grand. 14. Gr. And.

But today I got a letter from the company itself stating that even though the EOB letter was right, they are not in network, for some reason they are able to work with insurance company and be considered in-network. So I'm off the hook. Which is awesome. Not that anyone was getting a check for 14 grand from me. But it could have gotten nasty.

Congrats on both the negative and the no charge!

I have said it before and I will say it again. Pope Francis is awesome.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/pope-francis-tells-boy-whose-dog-had-died-that-heaven-is-open-to-all-1.2870888

This goes against traditional church teaching and confirms what we are told in the Qur'an. Outstanding.

I don't have time to watch, but John Oliver belongs in the awesome HOF.

It's a long clip, yeah. Good stuff, though... he takes on Dr. Oz and a couple congressmen for their irresponsible actions in promoting unregulated nutritional supplements, all with his usual wit and sarcasm.

I have said it before and I will say it again. Pope Francis is awesome.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...o-all-1.2870888

This goes against traditional church teaching and confirms what we are told in the Qur'an. Outstanding.

Love that guy.