Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

Egos and God Complexes seem to be totally absent in PAs.

there's one PA I know that seems to be the outlier :nana: :nana:

I'm just playin' but in all seriousness, they really do lack the ego that most doctors have. The PA that I typically see asks my fiance for her opinion (she's an Rn) when we see him and he wants to run tests.

Edited by dEnnis the Menace

PAs are typically allotted more time to spend with each patient than doctors can, which is one of the reasons that many patients prefer to see PAs (or NPs). PAs are generally much happier as well (it's one of the highest-ranking professions as far as job satisfaction), which means they often have a better disposition.

I won't say anything bad about doctors though, because a) the amount and intensity of the training that they go through is hard to even comprehend and I have tremendous respect for anyone with that level of knowledge, b) most are under incredible stress and patients can be extremely frustrating to deal with, and c) all the doctors I've met are good people who mean well (maybe I've just been lucky so far in that regard).

Here is an interesting (and very discouraging) article about all the crap doctors have to put up with: http://www.thedailyb...profession.html. I'm sure our friend Woody can elaborate if he so desires.

Anyways, thanks all for the encouragement! I'll let you know if/when I get accepted into my program...typically there are hundreds of applicants for just a couple dozen spots.

Edited by cdexchange

Surgeons are well known to be SOBs - I think it is a pre-requisite when applying for a surgical residency. I will say thay my MD is not only a good doctor, but a great guy. We've had some very interesting talks in the office. He's a few years younger than I am and has a pretty offbeat sense of humor. All of the nurses/medical assistants who work in his office love him, and that's a very good sign that he is, yes, awesome. I feel very lucky to have found him.

PAs are typically allotted more time to spend with each patient than doctors can, which is one of the reasons that many patients prefer to see PAs (or NPs). PAs are generally much happier as well (it's one of the highest-ranking professions as far as job satisfaction), which means they often have a better disposition.

I won't say anything bad about doctors though, because a) the amount and intensity of the training that they go through is hard to even comprehend and I have tremendous respect for anyone with that level of knowledge, b) most are under incredible stress and patients can be extremely frustrating to deal with, and c) all the doctors I've met are good people who mean well (maybe I've just been lucky so far in that regard).

Here is an interesting (and very discouraging) article about all the crap doctors have to put up with: http://www.thedailyb...profession.html. I'm sure our friend Woody can elaborate if he so desires.

Anyways, thanks all for the encouragement! I'll let you know if/when I get accepted into my program...typically there are hundreds of applicants for just a couple dozen spots.

Best of luck to you. My wife is a pediatric NP and she loves it, and before going back to school she was an RN at ECMC. When the new residents started each year, she and the other nurses always made life difficult for the arrogant prick residents who thought their ###### didn't stink. The nice ones they would go out of their way to help.

If there are two people in my life who I want to be arrogant bastards, it my pilot and my surgeon. That said I'm still glad I have my flight attendants and nurses/PAs when I actually need to deal with someone directly.

:lol:

I would also add that if I like my lawyer, I'm getting a new lawyer.

(sorry eleven)

Best of luck to you. My wife is a pediatric NP and she loves it, and before going back to school she was an RN at ECMC. When the new residents started each year, she and the other nurses always made life difficult for the arrogant prick residents who thought their ###### didn't stink. The nice ones they would go out of their way to help.

Yeah my wife is an RN at Roswell and they do the exact same thing :thumbsup:

My first week as an adjunct prof at RIT is over! Class one was an exercise in my worst fears. Sweated through my clothes, was met with deathly silence and blank stares, kids were way behind where I thought they would be as a starting point, stammered, shook, talked too quickly, generally felt like crawling into a hole and dying. My students began asking age related questions... Some of them are barely a year younger than myself. Came home and drank a Scotch Ale and shuddered, questioned my life choices and tried not to cry a lot.

Class two, complete opposite. Worked one on one with everyone, was able to relax and get some laughs at terrible jokes, and generally opened it up into the kind of class I remember enjoying as a student. I'm feeling SO much better about it now.

Edited by Josie914

My first week as an adjunct prof at RIT is over! Class one was an exercise in my worst fears. Sweated through my clothes, was met with deathly silence and blank stares, kids were way behind where I thought they would be as a starting point, stammered, shook, talked too quickly, generally felt like crawling into a hole and dying. My students began asking age related questions... Some of them are barely a year younger than myself. Came home and drank a Scotch Ale and shuddered, questioned my life choices and tried not to cry a lot.

Class two, complete opposite. Worked one on one with everyone, was able to relax and get some laughs at terrible jokes, and generally opened it up into the kind of class I remember enjoying as a student. I'm feeling SO much better about it now.

I've never taught a class per say, but I have given lectures at high schools regarding career day, engineering, etc. My first time was nerve racking. It just gets easier.

Glad that everything worked out! Best of luck the remainder of the semester!! :thumbsup:

I've never taught a class per say, but I have given lectures at high schools regarding career day, engineering, etc. My first time was nerve racking. It just gets easier.

Glad that everything worked out! Best of luck the remainder of the semester!! :thumbsup:

I remember my first day of teaching, my first class was a co-taught Integrated (Special Education Classified and General Education students in the same class) 9th grade English class and it was hectic to say the least. Some of the kids in the class had never been in a non-self-contained classroom and all the students had just come to the High School (8th grade being middle schoolers). It was a experimental classroom for the district, and man, no amount of education coursework or pre-year course prep could have gotten my nerves (and resulting sweats) under control. Being the first time (unlike student teaching) that someone else that was counting on my experience and knowledge was a huge system shock. The gen Ed. ELA teacher that I was working with was an excellent teacher but had zero knowledge of Special Education and everything that goes into it.

I probably would have died except I had a planning period after that first class and I got to breath and unwind before my next class: a much smaller (4 students) Academic Intervention Service (AIS) ELA skills/material reinforcement class. Luckily I got through the first couple of weeks and it ended up being a great experience.

I'm starting at a new school next week co-teaching a combination of 7th & 8th grade science and 9th grade English as the Special Education consult and I'm pretty stoked. I'm sure as soon as the morning of the 3rd comes I'll be sweating and nervous but it couldn't compare to that first class. So many firsts wrapped up in that one class (for me and the district to boot).

Hope the semester keeps getting better for you Josie!

Edited by Ottosmagic13