Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

Habemus Papam!!!

He's from Argentina and he actually cracked a few jokes in his remarks to the faithful, in perfect Italian I might add.

Congratulations, LPF, if that is what I am supposed to wish you, as you are a practicing Catholic.

I prayed for the new Pope and for all of us, that he does his best, as we all should, to make the world a better place for all of God's creation.

He's from Argentina and he actually cracked a few jokes in his remarks to the faithful, in perfect Italian I might add.

Congratulations, LPF, if that is what I am supposed to wish you, as you are a practicing Catholic.

I prayed for the new Pope and for all of us, that he does his best, as we all should, to make the world a better place for all of God's creation.

He grew up speaking Italian (which is pretty much everyone's second language in Argentina anyway); it had better be pretty good!

I want to know whether he named himself after Francis of Assisi, Francis Xavier, or both. I have seen conflicting reports. It will tell me quite a bit about him.

He grew up speaking Italian (which is pretty much everyone's second language in Argentina anyway); it had better be pretty good!

I want to know whether he named himself after Francis of Assisi, Francis Xavier, or both. I have seen conflicting reports. It will tell me quite a bit about him.

Would have to think FX since he is a Jesuit.

Officially, he chose it in honor of Assisi, but I think it's a combination of those two, He is a Jesuit, like Xavier, and he has chosen to forego the material comforts that come with being an arch bishop (palatial living space, domestic help, limo and driver) to live in a simple apartment, cook his own meals, and take the bus to work, like Assisi. It also references St. Francis Solanus, the Patron of Argentina.

There were three awesome things that happened today, which may have gone unnoticed by non-catholic, or non-practicing observers:

1. He chose the name Francis. Which has never been chosen by a pope before. This is surely an acknowledgement of the fact that he came to the papacy unlike any pope before both being a Jesuit and coming from Latin America. It also may be an indication that he intends to be a pope very different than those who came before. A new regnal name (pope name) has not been chosen in 11 centuries.

2. He did not wear the Red and Gold Stole. He chose to go without some of the more Regal elements of announcing the new pope. He spoke conversationally, not in theological high academic language. He appears to be a truly humble man.

3. Before he blessed the crowd at St. Peter's, he asked that they bless him. This was profound. The Church is an extreme Hierarchy and he is at the top, the people at the bottom. By this single action he turned the balance of the church on it's head, at least momentarily, in a way it has not been since local groups were gathering in catacombs to preach the story of Jesus hidden out of view of the Roman Legions.

Officially, he chose it in honor of Assisi, but I think it's a combination of those two, He is a Jesuit, like Xavier, and he has chosen to forego the material comforts that come with being an arch bishop (palatial living space, domestic help, limo and driver) to live in a simple apartment, cook his own meals, and take the bus to work, like Assisi. It also references St. Francis Solanus, the Patron of Argentina.

There were three awesome things that happened today, which may have gone unnoticed by non-catholic, or non-practicing observers:

1. He chose the name Francis. Which has never been chosen by a pope before. This is surely an acknowledgement of the fact that he came to the papacy unlike any pope before both being a Jesuit and coming from Latin America. It also may be an indication that he intends to be a pope very different than those who came before. A new regnal name (pope name) has not been chosen in 11 centuries.

2. He did not wear the Red and Gold Stole. He chose to go without some of the more Regal elements of announcing the new pope. He spoke conversationally, not in theological high academic language. He appears to be a truly humble man.

3. Before he blessed the crowd at St. Peter's, he asked that they bless him. This was profound. The Church is an extreme Hierarchy and he is at the top, the people at the bottom. By this single action he turned the balance of the church on it's head, at least momentarily, in a way it has not been since local groups were gathering in catacombs to preach the story of Jesus hidden out of view of the Roman Legions.

If he truly leads along the lines of Francis, even though he is Jesuit, that may be the only thing to get many to return to the church. I think Benedict is a very neat guy. If you read his books, he questions everything.....including his own belief system. This is a chance however to lead through humility, which is what it really is all about anyway. It seems as if Francis may be setting up a policy of guiding instead of ordering.......although everything I have seen says he is a social conservative.

If he truly leads along the lines of Francis, even though he is Jesuit, that may be the only thing to get many to return to the church. I think Benedict is a very neat guy. If you read his books, he questions everything.....including his own belief system. This is a chance however to lead through humility, which is what it really is all about anyway. It seems as if Francis may be setting up a policy of guiding instead of ordering.......although everything I have seen says he is a social conservative.

He appears to be a social conservative on many issues (mostly dealing with sex and the potential consequences thereof), but definitely not on other social issues relating to poverty, social class, and the like.

I haven't seen anything one way or the other about his views on women and their roles in the Church.

The Catholic Church is a socially conservative institution. Always has been and always will be. That's just the way it is and no one will ever change that, IMO.

That said, he seems to be the real deal in terms of humility. It will be interesting to see if it lasts, but it's a very good start ...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/03/14/wrd-vatican-pope-francis-conclave-first-day.html

It's no secret that I am not Catholic, but I have many friends who are. They are all very positive and excited about the new Pope.

Marriage: Betting someone half your stuff you'll love them forever.

But look at it this way ...

... You'd be in line for half of their stuff too.

jk ... I think marriage is awesome, if you go about it the right way.

Your stuff is the least of it.

And SFiNS is right, as usual.