What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

At wicked weed brewing in Asheville drinking their sweet talker session IPA. Its 3.8% abv and has incredible hop flavor and aroma. If you are ever anywhere near Asheville you absolutely need to stop at wicked weed, even if you're not a beer person, the food is equally as impressive.

Edit: now at the brand new Sierra Nevada brewery outside Asheville. Holy crap is this place impressive! And the taproom menu...pig cheeks and marrow. Awesome.

Edited by Claude_Verret

At wicked weed brewing in Asheville drinking their sweet talker session IPA. Its 3.8% abv and has incredible hop flavor and aroma. If you are ever anywhere near Asheville you absolutely need to stop at wicked weed, even if you're not a beer person, the food is equally as impressive.

Edit: now at the brand new Sierra Nevada brewery outside Asheville. Holy crap is this place impressive! And the taproom menu...pig cheeks and marrow. Awesome.

Love Asheville.  Hate hoppy beer.

But LOVE Asheville.

Love Asheville. Hate hoppy beer.

But LOVE Asheville.

Back at wicked weed today on the way back from Gatlinburg, TN. There are plenty of fantastic non hoppy beers offered at wicked weed. Looking at the beer list now they have a witbier, saison,a "Coolcumber" summer beer that my wife loves, an american session ale, not to mention all their sour beers from the funkatorium. This place should be an east coast road trip must stop destination.

Flying Bison's new IPA: Down by the River. This is heaven in a bottle (sorry, you'll have to get Weave to get some for a better write-up). This may be the smoothest IPA I've ever had.

Tim Herzog is a great guy.  I'm glad his baby is finally doing well.  But my biggest complaint regarding his beers has always been that he makes them too....... continental, I guess.  He's avoided the market's turn towards hoppy beers like the plague.  I prefer hoppy beers.  As much as I have wanted to support a genuinely good guy and someone who has helped me immensely, his beers just never did alot for me.  I'll have to give this one a try I guess.

Tim Herzog is a great guy.  I'm glad his baby is finally doing well.  But my biggest complaint regarding his beers has always been that he makes them too....... continental, I guess.  He's avoided the market's turn towards hoppy beers like the plague.  I prefer hoppy beers.  As much as I have wanted to support a genuinely good guy and someone who has helped me immensely, his beers just never did alot for me.  I'll have to give this one a try I guess.

How do you know Tim?  I used to bartend with him way back in the day, before he was a successful craft brewer Tim was one of the best bartenders in WNY.  He gave me my very first lesson in homebrewing, so I had just a bit of a head start over most folks.

You're correct though that Tim has never been a hop head, but his Kolsch and Rusty Chain (vienna lager) are great gateway beers and ones you don't see many craft brewers putting out.  If you head down to his new brewery he has a few beers on that aren't released for wide distribution.  The last time I was there he had an APA and IPA that were both excellent.  

How do you know Tim?  I used to bartend with him way back in the day, before he was a successful craft brewer Tim was one of the best bartenders in WNY.  He gave me my very first lesson in homebrewing, so I had just a bit of a head start over most folks.

You're correct though that Tim has never been a hop head, but his Kolsch and Rusty Chain (vienna lager) are great gateway beers and ones you don't see many craft brewers putting out.  If you head down to his new brewery he has a few beers on that aren't released for wide distribution.  The last time I was there he had an APA and IPA that were both excellent.  

About 10-12 years ago I decided to organize a beer festival as a charity fund raiser.  I walked into Flying Bison, asked for the owner, introduced myself, and told Tim what I was planning to do.  The assistance he gave me was tremendous.  And the support he continued to give for the 5 years I ran that festival is a debt of gratitude I cannot repay.  If I were closer to Buffalo (or even in town much) I'd stop by.  I haven't seen his new digs.  He was still on Ontario Street when I was last there.

Thinking about it now, I brewed the last batch of beer in his old place while he was owner.  I made Vienna Lager on his 1bbl pilot system the last Saturday he was open before he had to shut it down and later sell it to Matt's.  He was one stressed out fella back then.  No money to keep his labor of love open.  Matt's stepping up and buying the place and keeping him on was a just reward for the heart and soul he poured into it.

About 10-12 years ago I decided to organize a beer festival as a charity fund raiser.  I walked into Flying Bison, asked for the owner, introduced myself, and told Tim what I was planning to do.  The assistance he gave me was tremendous.  And the support he continued to give for the 5 years I ran that festival is a debt of gratitude I cannot repay.  If I were closer to Buffalo (or even in town much) I'd stop by.  I haven't seen his new digs.  He was still on Ontario Street when I was last there.

Thinking about it now, I brewed the last batch of beer in his old place while he was owner.  I made Vienna Lager on his 1bbl pilot system the last Saturday he was open before he had to shut it down and later sell it to Matt's.  He was one stressed out fella back then.  No money to keep his labor of love open.  Matt's stepping up and buying the place and keeping him on was a just reward for the heart and soul he poured into it.

They're on Seneca St now. i was out there for the anniversary party. Good times.

Tim Herzog is a great guy. I'm glad his baby is finally doing well. But my biggest complaint regarding his beers has always been that he makes them too....... continental, I guess. He's avoided the market's turn towards hoppy beers like the plague. I prefer hoppy beers. As much as I have wanted to support a genuinely good guy and someone who has helped me immensely, his beers just never did alot for me. I'll have to give this one a try I guess.

Good for him. 2007 or so all I drank was hoppy IPA's. Back then the Two Hearted, Racer 5 and Various Troega were all that were available for the most part.

I still love a great hoppy IPA, but also drink a ton off Saisons, Sours, lighter pales like Brooklyn Summer , Southern Tier Hop Sun.... So much besides just heavy hops in my rotation now.

Just picked up a four pack of Ommega glimmerglass saison and and another 4 of their summer ale.... Both outstanding

About 10-12 years ago I decided to organize a beer festival as a charity fund raiser. I walked into Flying Bison, asked for the owner, introduced myself, and told Tim what I was planning to do. The assistance he gave me was tremendous. And the support he continued to give for the 5 years I ran that festival is a debt of gratitude I cannot repay. If I were closer to Buffalo (or even in town much) I'd stop by. I haven't seen his new digs. He was still on Ontario Street when I was last there.

Thinking about it now, I brewed the last batch of beer in his old place while he was owner. I made Vienna Lager on his 1bbl pilot system the last Saturday he was open before he had to shut it down and later sell it to Matt's. He was one stressed out fella back then. No money to keep his labor of love open. Matt's stepping up and buying the place and keeping him on was a just reward for the heart and soul he poured into it.

Awesome. I once brewed on that pilot system too. After I moved to NC I arranged for a friend and I to fly up to Buffalo to brew with Tim. We brewed a schwarzbier. After we chilled and pitched yeast, Tim monitored the fermentation, kegged it and dropped off the kegs to my parents so they could drive it down to me here. Tim is a super guy. A Buffalo guy.

Awesome. I once brewed on that pilot system too. After I moved to NC I arranged for a friend and I to fly up to Buffalo to brew with Tim. We brewed a schwarzbier. After we chilled and pitched yeast, Tim monitored the fermentation, kegged it and dropped off the kegs to my parents so they could drive it down to me here. Tim is a super guy. A Buffalo guy.

I brewed more on his system than my own. Probably 5-6 times a yeaR for a couple years. I helped him brew a 20bbl batch of Aviator Red once too. He was alone at the brewery on a Saturday and behind production and needed a pair of hands. I was excited to help. That was pretty cool.

I know nuthin bout brewing beer, but on Saturday go to friends house where he has an annual crawfish boil with a whole bunch of home brews on tap. He and 4 of his college buddies been doing this party for about 10'years...they get 100 lbs of fresh crawfish delivered Friday, they brewed the beer I guess 6 weeks or so ago.....just a great afternoon doing nothing but sucking crawfish brains and tails, eating corn and potatoes and drinking mess loads of home brew!

I know nuthin bout brewing beer, but on Saturday go to friends house where he has an annual crawfish boil with a whole bunch of home brews on tap. He and 4 of his college buddies been doing this party for about 10'years...they get 100 lbs of fresh crawfish delivered Friday, they brewed the beer I guess 6 weeks or so ago.....just a great afternoon doing nothing but sucking crawfish brains and tails, eating corn and potatoes and drinking mess loads of home brew!

I hope you bet Fairgrounds too......

About to be eat some real Texas BBQ in Austin.  Going to try to convince the work colleagues to go to the Salt Lick, but may have to go somewhere closer to our hotel. Brisket awaits...

Brisket and Austin City Limits are the only good things in Texas. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.