What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

Last night I took a few mild Italian sausages made by the local butcher and threw them on the grill, along with pineapple chunks and grape tomatoes.

Boiled a pot of brown rice then mixed in some thai peanut sauce — not overpowering, just enough to give it some flavour.

Added fresh snap peas, chopped but still in the pods, some pecans and some crumbled feta.

Thin-sliced the grilled sausage, dropped it in a big salad bowl with the grilled tomatoes and pineapple, added the rice mixture and tossed it all together.

Strange mix, but unbelievably good.

Well give it a name!

Hmmm...

We got some Mediterranean, Asian and Polynesian with a touch of heat — how about Global Warming?

Well, it does sound as if the sitting cheeks may have some brown house gases pass through them after eating...

:ph34r:

Ok, what happened to all the Emicons?  Is it just me or did half of them disappear?

I tried my second pizza on my stone in the smoker. The first was perfect. I really messed this one up. Sauce replaced with olive oil, tomato slice and parm. Worked great. I like the sharp cheddar on pizza. Peppers and baby bellas. Worked great. I burned the hell out of the crust though. Got my temp up to 400. Top was lovely. The crust was nuclear waste. Miserable failure. I preheated the stone 20 minutes. Too long? I'm glad my wife works late and missed this stegosaurus turd. At least there are cold homebrews.

20 min preheat should be plenty. I do mine around 500 degrees and preheat at least 20, closer to 30 min.

I find that the makeup of the crust determines time and temp. And of course, keep that stone the hell away from direct heat. That'll get you every time.

Edited by weave

20 min preheat should be plenty. I do mine around 500 degrees and preheat at least 20, closer to 30 min.

I find that the makeup of the crust determines time and temp. And of course, keep that stone the hell away from direct heat. That'll get you every time.

Well it got me. Do you have a crust recipe for stone? I'd appreciate it.

Well it got me. Do you have a crust recipe for stone? I'd appreciate it.

I use the dough recipe from the Bread Baker's Apprentice book.  It uses a Biga technique that involves overnight fermentation of half the dough.  Will be a long transcribe, but I'll see what I can do when I get a chance.

I've had good luck with Wegman's pizza dough when I've had spur of the moment pizza "plans".  those are usually oven cooks, but I still try to get as close to 500 degrees as I can.  My oven maxxes out at 485.  30 minute stable time at 485 and my pizzas take about 12 minutes to cook.  Nicely carmelized top and bottom.

One other idea, when my top finishes before the crust I move the za lower in the oven (lower should be a little cooler temp), and when the crust finishes first I move the za up into hotter air to get the exposed stuff on top to cook faster.  Depending on your smoker set up maybe this is an option.

Thanks, weave. No need to transcribe. I can look that up. I am all about food.(and drink) Smoking is a family heritage but I am new to it. It is certainly an art. I preheated over direct heat. I've learned that is bad. Bread Baker's Apprentice book. I love it already.

Now I'm drinking a mexican mule.

Thanks weave.

The dark side is strong.

Thanks, weave. No need to transcribe. I can look that up. I am all about food.(and drink) Smoking is a family heritage but I am new to it. It is certainly an art. I preheated over direct heat. I've learned that is bad. Bread Baker's Apprentice book. I love it already.

Yeah, if you preheat the stone over direct heat the stone is likely a good bit hotter than the air temp in the smoker.

Just out of curiosity, are there any beer only people on this board? I'm not into liquor or wine at all. Have nothing against people that do drink liquor and/or wine. Have plenty of friends that enjoy the stuff. 

Just out of curiosity, are there any beer only people on this board? I'm not into liquor or wine at all. Have nothing against people that do drink liquor and/or wine. Have plenty of friends that enjoy the stuff. 

Why yes; yes there are (old thread that could use reviving):

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/19920-the-official-beer-appreciation-thread/?do=findComment&comment=304528

Finally trying Larceny tonight. Man, this stuff is smooth. Liquor store had that and Domaine de Canton (ginger liqueur) on sale, so picked up both and made a Gold Rush drink with the two. It's funny that the recipe is printed on both bottles but the proportions disagree; each lists 1/2 part lemon juice, but the DdC bottle has 1.5 parts ginger to 1 part bourbon, while the Larceny bottle has the opposite. I went with the latter, and it is delicious. Kind of like a bourbon sour without the extra sugar, and very refreshing on a warm evening. Here's to a better weekend than this past week!

I've got marinated pork kabobs on the grill right now. Never done this before, so if anyone is paying attention, any advice is welcome.

Don't be afraid to leave them pinkish inside. They'll be tender and juicy. Loin? I assume.

Today's pork is safe to eat medium.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.