What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

Brunch today was yummy (as always).

For me: pomegranate mimosa and lime braised boar carnitas with mango salsa.

For the boy: lychee mimosa and "the Ritz"; a variation on eggs benedict with two 4 oz filets, gorgonzola, hollandaise sauce, poached egg, and a red wine reduction sauce over top.

Now if only I had time for a nap, lol.

Yours sounds really good.

As for "the boy" (?) ... not so much ... :sick: .

Do love. Would recommend.

The Thinnie, with the homemade mustard, is awesome.

My main problem with The Place is the desserts. I can't walk out of there without either consuming 1000 calories or carrying them home in a clamshell box. I might eat desserts once a month; i.e., 12 times per year. I'll bet that 10 of those times, they come from the corner of Ashland and Lex.

My most basic beer buying rule- avoid beer in green bottles. UV light fron flourescent lights does nasty, nasty things to beer in green bottles.

i see the rolling rock talk. i infer that the green bottle is also why moosehead (unfairly) developed something of a reputation for being undrinkable. i loves me some moosehead. fresh is key.

how does heineken work around this issue?

I think it's a combo of the wings and beef, how many places can you get very good beef (I would probably say best) and very good wings?. The beef is the stronger of the pair.

agree with this - i can't think of too many places where you can get very good wings and weck.

I didn't realize they already had locations in other places besides Syracuse and Rochester. I wonder why it took so long to get one in Buffalo then?

I actually just went to the Syracuse location for the first time ever last night after moving my girlfriend up there for med school. Realized that Dino is less than 1.5 miles from her tower. I am even more excited to visit her now lol.

Hmm....I know a lot of people rave about Bar Bill and their wings......and they were fine and good.....and it was a good dive atmosphere.....but I'm going B+. There was nothing that would draw me out there again other than friends.....although I guess 9:15 was too late to try their roast beef.

I had just seen it talked up so much...I was expecting Sidney Crosby and got Daniel Alfredsson. Nothing wrong, just could put it in the rotation with a few dozen other places in town.

Wow, not quite sure what to say to this - what kind of wings did you get? NEVER have I had a wing that is so perfect than the cajun medium wing at the Bill

I didn't realize they already had locations in other places besides Syracuse and Rochester. I wonder why it took so long to get one in Buffalo then?

If you look, they're kind of working outward from Syracuse. Rochester, then Manhattan (market size, I'd think), then Troy and now Buffalo. I've been to Roch, Syracuse, and Manhattan. Mine was the only bike at the Manhattan one that evening, Wimps! Although some might say I was crazy for riding a couple hours in some rain in October for the privilege.

i see the rolling rock talk. i infer that the green bottle is also why moosehead (unfairly) developed something of a reputation for being undrinkable. i loves me some moosehead. fresh is key.

I would tend to say they don't. :)

Wow, not quite sure what to say to this - what kind of wings did you get? NEVER have I had a wing that is so perfect than the cajun medium wing at the Bill

medium, sicilian, hot cajun.........for all the buildup, I was expecting something great. The cajun was the best of the 3, but I just don't get the hub-bub on this one. If I was able to try their roast beef at 9:15 maybe I would be more inclined to return.

Nice enough place and relaxed. I'd rather have Big Tree type wings. These were more along Duffs style sauciness. I rather have a greasy crisp and lather than too much sloppy fluid. Maybe that's where I differ.

So having left over ribs and slaw from last night..and all the Q talk on this page made me post. Have a couple of questions for the all the smoke boys out there

1) what cut do you like best? I was always a Baby Back guy, but did three racks of St Louis yesterday as I think I may be hooked. little longer cook, but I like the texture and amount of meat a bit more..that will need to be confirmed next time..but just looking for your opinions. Spares always seem to fatty to me..but maybe someone out there has a prep that better than I know.

2) Membrane or no? I usually pull the membrane..but have been reading more and more folks leaving it on..so yesterday I did both ways..and the ribs with the membrane seemed juicier and a bit more porkier flavor

3) one rack I actually did an injection of apple juice, cider vinegar and some spice rub. No doubt the moistest of the three, but some of the smoke flavor was muted..I think by the injection. Still had a nice ring..just some of the smoke bite was not there..opinions? I had never injected ribs before, only butts

I would tend to say they don't. :)

Yep. I almost always find Heineken to be skunked. I suppose that my retailers just don't turn it over quick enough to avoid it.

So having left over ribs and slaw from last night..and all the Q talk on this page made me post. Have a couple of questions for the all the smoke boys out there

1) what cut do you like best? I was always a Baby Back guy, but did three racks of St Louis yesterday as I think I may be hooked. little longer cook, but I like the texture and amount of meat a bit more..that will need to be confirmed next time..but just looking for your opinions. Spares always seem to fatty to me..but maybe someone out there has a prep that better than I know.

2) Membrane or no? I usually pull the membrane..but have been reading more and more folks leaving it on..so yesterday I did both ways..and the ribs with the membrane seemed juicier and a bit more porkier flavor

3) one rack I actually did an injection of apple juice, cider vinegar and some spice rub. No doubt the moistest of the three, but some of the smoke flavor was muted..I think by the injection. Still had a nice ring..just some of the smoke bite was not there..opinions? I had never injected ribs before, only butts

I like baby backs for convenience but spares for overall experience. IMO spares are better flavored and if you buy them untrimmed you get all those delicious little scooby snacks that you trim out before cooking. Those scooby snacks go on the grill for munchin on while waiting for the main event.

I pull the membranes. I do not like the texture of the membrane, even after a good long smoke. And the membrane prevents the rub from getting into the meat on the backside of the ribs. I put rub on both side of the racks and let my ribs marinate in rub for several hours before cooking. If the membrane is left on the rub can't penetrate on that side of the rack.

Never bothered with injecting ribs. Seems to me that there is enough collegen and fat in the ribs to keep things nice and moist. I save injections for brinsket and shoulders.

Very true in my experience as well. Do a side by side sometime of Heineken in green bottle vs Heineken in a can. No comparison.

I have the same issue with Newcastle. The girlfriend loves it but I refuse to buy it because the clear bottles always leave a subtle skunk flavor. I'll opt for the mini keg.

Homemade Thai coconut curry shrimp. My head is sweating. My lips are burning. And I am stuffed. So tasty.

That sounds pretty good... love me some coconut shrimp (never had a curry version, though). Any chance you want to share the recipe? :angel:

For me: coconut-pineapple cake. So tropical, moist, and delicious.

Bio I don't measure and I'm a bottle of reisling in but here goes...

Saute 1 small onion diced, 1 chopped carrot, 1 red bell pepper diced, and 1 chopped and seeded habenero pepper (salt and pepper of course) until soft. And 3 finely minced garlic cloves, about 1 inch of finely chopped fresh ginger, and 3 tsp yellow curry powder. Saute for about 3-4 minutes. Add 1tsp soy sauce and a couple dashes of fish sauce. Add 1 small can (14oz) of coconut milk. Stir and simmer until the sauce tightens up, about 5 minutes. Add 1.5lbs raw peeled and deveined shrimp to the sauce. Cook the shrimp until they turn opaque, about 3-4 minutes. Chop a handful of green onion tops and add to the dish just before removing from the heat. Serve over white rice.

Bio I don't measure and I'm a bottle of reisling in but here goes...

Saute 1 small onion diced, 1 chopped carrot, 1 red bell pepper diced, and 1 chopped and seeded habenero pepper (salt and pepper of course) until soft. And 3 finely minced garlic cloves, about 1 inch of finely chopped fresh ginger, and 3 tsp yellow curry powder. Saute for about 3-4 minutes. Add 1tsp soy sauce and a couple dashes of fish sauce. Add 1 small can (14oz) of coconut milk. Stir and simmer until the sauce tightens up, about 5 minutes. Add 1.5lbs raw peeled and deveined shrimp to the sauce. Cook the shrimp until they turn opaque, about 3-4 minutes. Chop a handful of green onion tops and add to the dish just before removing from the heat. Serve over white rice.

Thanks! That's more involved than I would have guessed... I was thinking they'd be fried (the kind with shredded coconut in the batter), but that sounds pretty tasty. Might have to pick up some shrimp the next time I'm at the store.

Bio the techniques are easy and it is a one pan meal. Chop a few veggies, saute, add a couple flavoring ingrediants and the sauce liquid, simmer a few minutes, add the seafood, let cook a few minutes more and serve. Easy, peezy.

Poor wording choice on my part, weave... I meant involved as in the # of ingredients (not recipe difficulty) since I was expecting some kind of thai curry beer batter for fried shrimp rather than a saute. Yours sounds way better, though. :thumbsup:

Poor wording choice on my part, weave... I meant involved as in the # of ingredients (not recipe difficulty) since I was expecting some kind of thai curry beer batter for fried shrimp rather than a saute. Yours sounds way better, though. :thumbsup:

You could always make a simple tempura batter and add the curry, ginger, a heavy dose of unsweetened grated coconut, and habenero to that and send it off to the deep fryer.

Sounds like a great idea actually. :thumbsup:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.