With Hecht finally healthy, who will take a seat?

korab rules

Who will be sent to the press box so Hecht can get back in the lineup?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be sent to the press box so Hecht can get back in the lineup?

• Boyes
    • Ennis
    • Leino
    • Roy
    • Adam
    • McCormick
    • Kaleta
    • No one - because no one is playing badly enough to deserve a little time in the press box.

I think the lineup won't change as long as the Sabres are winning unless someone is downright awful for more than one game.

I voted McCormick. I like him and what he does for the team, but he's still the least valuable guy currently in the lineup, IMHO.

I wouldn't mind seeing Leino-Hecht-Boyes, Roy-Ennis-Stafford and Gaustad-Gerbe-Kaleta as the lines.

I think the lineup won't change as long as the Sabres are winning unless someone is downright awful for more than one game.

I voted McCormick. I like him and what he does for the team, but he's still the least valuable guy currently in the lineup, IMHO.

I wouldn't mind seeing Leino-Hecht-Boyes, Roy-Ennis-Stafford and Gaustad-Gerbe-Kaleta as the lines.

Along with Vanek-Adam-Pominville those are balanced lines.

I'd probably double shift Gerbe to give additional looks occasionally sitting Hecht or Ennis.

I like these on paper at least.

Gaustad could have taken Moen instead. How many of these guys do they need on the team? I like what McCormick brings, and like what he did last night--but Vanek's patient goal had as much to do with deflating Montreal (and securing the win) as McCormick beating on Moen had to do with waking the Sabres up (and securing the win).

IMO if Goose is the one squaring with Moen then today we are talking about how we never got any momentum last night. McCormick is a more accomplished fighter than Goose and managed a haymaker throwing draw. At level best Gaustad ties up and is satisified to get out with a wrestling match and a couple noogies. Moen was the aggressor and Montreal ends up with momentum instead of Buffalo.

I think you *can* take out Cody and expect Goose and Kaleta to be enough but it has to be situational. Exaple being us playing Detroit, Tampa., etc.. Against most rosters though, Goose doesn't have the wherewithal to be the goto guy when it gets real nasty.

I'd probably double shift Gerbe to give additional looks occasionally sitting Hecht or Ennis.

Yes indeedly.

IMO if Goose is the one squaring with Moen then today we are talking about how we never got any momentum last night. McCormick is a more accomplished fighter than Goose and managed a haymaker throwing draw. At level best Gaustad ties up and is satisified to get out with a wrestling match and a couple noogies. Moen was the aggressor and Montreal ends up with momentum instead of Buffalo.

I think you *can* take out Cody and expect Goose and Kaleta to be enough but it has to be situational. Exaple being us playing Detroit, Tampa., etc.. Against most rosters though, Goose doesn't have the wherewithal to be the goto guy when it gets real nasty.

I think Gaustad can handle himself, but I also think he's too important a guy to be the designated scrapper. If he fights Phaneuf, fine, but he doesn't need to be fighting the goons of the league.

Yes indeedly.

I think Gaustad can handle himself, but I also think he's too important a guy to be the designated scrapper. If he fights Phaneuf, fine, but he doesn't need to be fighting the goons of the league.

With McCormick out he becomes the designated scrapper by default. And I agree that he is too valuable for that role.

Yes indeedly.

Is it just me or does it seem like Goose has a history of getting hurt when he fights?

I would prefer that he play rather than fight. His play over the second half of last season and the start of this season has been a revelation. To my eye, he is playing much better, more consistent hockey than he did earlier in his career.

Which, in my mind, brings this discussion right back to Kaleta.

I know ill probably get sh*t for this being my first post. However i think its funny that people are bashing leino. Seeing how he is learning a new system, hes playing center instead of left wing like he has been since he came into the league, and we are only five games into the regular season. I think we should pair him with staff and see what happens when we pair him with somebody who doesnt seem afraid to shoot!

I know ill probably get sh*t for this being my first post. However i think its funny that people are bashing leino. Seeing how he is learning a new system, hes playing center instead of left wing like he has been since he came into the league, and we are only five games into the regular season. I think we should pair him with staff and see what happens when we pair him with somebody who doesnt seem afraid to shoot!

Welcome to the board.

IMO we're not really bashing him, just trying to help him out and get him going.

hey welcome aboard.

I have no problem giving Leino time, and i do agree that the 1b and 1c lines need a little adjusting, and Ruff is good at tinkering with the lines, so I expect to see some minor changes for the next game. I don't see him changing the Vanek-Adam-Pommers line at all though, as he should not.

Answer me this: If Leino was centering the line with Vanek and Pommers, would he have as many points as Adam?

Good point.

Who knows how he would shape up with them.

I mean they are top players on our team, how would Leino fit?

Some people just arent meant to work in certain positions.

The way Boyes gave up on that Montreal goal last night, he deserves to be benched whether or not Hecht is ready. I was willing to give the guy a chance when BFLO traded for him because of his past output, but he hasn't shown signs of his 30-40 goal seasons since the second week he was here. Hecht won't score as much either, but at least he has more to add to the game, he plays a different role. We have enough scorers, show Boyes his effort sucks by letting him watch for a while.

Answer me this: If Leino was centering the line with Vanek and Pommers, would he have as many points as Adam?

Leino hasn't shown enough over the first five games to indicate he could match Adam's production. At this point, and I do recognize it is early, Adam has been the better hockey.

The Top PP Unit should be Vanek Leino Pominville. I like Luke but let the kid focus on his even strength play with Vanek and Pominville and let Ville get a shot with the big guns to create some chances.

Boyes just stands there watching Ennis skate around him? :lol:

Better than the Ennis standing at attention watching Boyes skate around him? :bag:

Good point.

Who knows how he would shape up with them.

I mean they are top players on our team, how would Leino fit?

Some people just arent meant to work in certain positions.

The way Van is shooting and Pommer is controlling and taking care of the back check, just about anyone would look better as the third man on that line.

I believe what has leino in the doghouse is the tragedy that is occuring every time he lines up on the dot for a faceoff. He is losing more than 2/3 of his draws. Hopefully Goose can coach him a bit and get him up closer to 40-45%.

More to the Poll Question, I think you'd look at Leino, Boyes, and Ennis as the guys who aren't living up to the standard needed to stay in our lineup, but I don't think you can look at the numbers and just point to who the problem is. That line needs to be changed up, and it sounds like that is happening. Since all 4 lines are getting damn near equal minutes, it's not going to hurt anyones TOI, and you'll be more able to assess who the "problem" is. I look at the next two games as an opportunity to see how the new lines perform, and Hecht can come in to replace whoever continues to perform poorly, even on a lesser line.

Jochen is a good piece for the team, but he's not good enough to justify replacing a piece on a 4-1 team with a +7 Goal Diff. And our next 5 games are out of division against some mediocre to bad teams. In the next 10 we play exactly one contender.

Some great discussion here.

As others have mentioned, NO WAY you put Hecht in as Center. Lindy's gotten so much crap from this board for putting Hecht at Center over the years. :D

To add, NO WAY you sit Leino at this point; keep him at Center! If it's the coaches' goal to have him develop into a 2nd/3rd line center role, give him his reps. It's an 82-game season, we're winning enough games, no time to panic here.

On the note of "it's a long season", if Roy is feeling tired because of coming off from his injury, please please please give him a game or two off!

I voted earlier that no one will be sent to the press box, but I wouldn't mind seeing Lindy flex some nut and bench Boyes if he's really lacking in the effort dept.

My guess is that if anyone gets the boot, it will be Adam. That would be a predictable Sabres move.

If the choice were up to me, I'd sit Boyes. He is, to me, the most expendable by far, and Hecht would be an upgrade.

Neither Cody or Patty should sit as their roles are different and distinct.

Archived