With Hecht finally healthy, who will take a seat?

korab rules

Who will be sent to the press box so Hecht can get back in the lineup?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be sent to the press box so Hecht can get back in the lineup?

• Boyes
    • Ennis
    • Leino
    • Roy
    • Adam
    • McCormick
    • Kaleta
    • No one - because no one is playing badly enough to deserve a little time in the press box.

Leino hasn't shown enough over the first five games to indicate he could match Adam's production. At this point, and I do recognize it is early, Adam has been the better hockey.

We'll see if Adam can match his own production. It was a red hot start. Things usually cool off after the first two weeks of play.

Roy, and Adam should not be benched obviously. Boyes, Ennis, and Leino may need a game off to stop their lackluster play but I think it is to early to make a call about who should be benched... the obvious and easier choice would be to bench a guy like McCormick but I do not like nor support that idea as McCormick is one of the few physical players we have... but at least we have players who can pass well...

This is from yahoo and I was curious as to what ppl think of this and Leino

"Ville Leino was benched in the third period on Tuesday night against the Montreal Canadiens, and has one goal in five games. On Wednesday, he was practicing on a fourth line with Cody McCormick and Brad Boyes.

Said Leino to WGR: "I don't know if it's the system or whatever, but I'm sure that I'm not happy with how I've played. I'm sure Lindy isn't happy either. I'm just trying to work here and get things working."

One possibility: a move back to the wing. Which really isn't what the Sabres invested in last summer for six years and $27 million."

Roy, and Adam should not be benched obviously. Boyes, Ennis, and Leino may need a game off to stop their lackluster play but I think it is to early to make a call about who should be benched... the obvious and easier choice would be to bench a guy like McCormick but I do not like nor support that idea as McCormick is one of the few physical players we have... but at least we have players who can pass well...

This is from yahoo and I was curious as to what ppl think of this and Leino

"Ville Leino was benched in the third period on Tuesday night against the Montreal Canadiens, and has one goal in five games. On Wednesday, he was practicing on a fourth line with Cody McCormick and Brad Boyes.

Said Leino to WGR: "I don't know if it's the system or whatever, but I'm sure that I'm not happy with how I've played. I'm sure Lindy isn't happy either. I'm just trying to work here and get things working."

One possibility: a move back to the wing. Which really isn't what the Sabres invested in last summer for six years and $27 million."

I wonder if something will happen during the coming weeks where a player or staff member says "move him here" and get him out of the Center role!

Who knows though, I just hope we get stuff figured out.

It's early and I don't think there's anything to panic about, and the great thing is we are all talking about who to take out of the lineup of a team that's 4-1 and very easily could be 5-0 if not for a bad night of special teams.

I said it from the beginning that I never like Ennis playing with Leino. They are both puck possession playmaker type guys and you can't have two of those guys on the same line. Leino was successful playing with Hartnell who is physical and a bruiser and Briere who while small in stature always plays in front of or near the net. Leino needs guys who will go to the net in order for his game to be effective, which is hold the puck and draw players to him and find the open man going to the net.

If someone had to sit, I suspect it would be McCormick although I think he is a very valuable player and he was a good reason why the Sabres won last night. He's also not a goon who can't skate nor play. While he's not the most skilled, he's not a liability on the ice and he can take and win faceoffs and may net a few goals like he did last year. So, McCormick actually is a valuable player, but you would expect with Gaustad, Kaleta, Regehr, and if/when Weber plays there's enough team toughness to compensate for McCormick being out of the lineup. So, if Hecht is healthy, my guess would be McCormick sits.

My lines are exactly what nfreeman and XB said:

Vanek-Adam-Pominville

Ennis-Roy-Stafford

Gerbe-Gaustad-Kaleta

Hecht-Leino-Boyes

Either way, the Sabres have a great problem right now in my opinion, and that's a good thing for this team to say we have this kind of depth.

This conundrum will go away faster than we think. An injury is coming. Soon.

The second Adam stops scoring, he moves to the top of the most likely to benched list. He's stil not great on D and he is still the kid with a lot to prove.

Right now though he's safe.

Generally speaking, McCormick is the 13th forward. But right now, he's safe too.

At risk are all three members of the Leino line: offensive players who aren't producing.

Until last night, they haven't been bad, they just haven't produced.

One reason has been stated: Leino and Ennis are too similar.

The other reason is they haven't got a lick of power play time.

I don't bench any of them. The team is 4-1, third in offense, eighth in defense.

I do flip Ennis and Gerbe. Ennis has played well with Staff. Boyes and Gerbe have had flashes, and Gerbe might just be Leinos new Briere.

If that stiffs two lines, then It's Ennis or Boyes who comes out.

But trust me, an injury will come first.

Like who?

lol i know better than that but the TYPE of player would be like a Downie/Backes/Iginla/Bourque sorta guy. Basically what Kassian could be like in 2-4years. A guy who is somewhat gifted when it comes to scoring (50-60pts) but will plow ppl over to get to the net.

(exactly what Leino and Ennis could use, although I think Stafford will help Ennis if he stays on that line with Roy)

Basically what Kassian could be like in 2-4years. A guy who is somewhat gifted when it comes to scoring (50-60pts) but will plow ppl over to get to the net.

(exactly what Leino and Ennis could use, although I think Stafford will help Ennis if he stays on that line with Roy)

Maybe Kassie (hehe) develops ahead of the curve like Adam. Here's hoping!

Too bad we can't trade Boyes and prospect/pick for bonafide 2nd line power forward rw.

Or someone who'll fit on the 3rd line RW with only a couple of years left. Remember we have people like Kassian who will deserve a shot soon. Preferably someone with a cup ring.

Or someone who'll fit on the 3rd line RW with only a couple of years left. Remember we have people like Kassian who will deserve a shot soon. Preferably someone with a cup ring.

Just out of curiosity, why does he deserve a shot soon? He needs to earn his position with this team just like anyone else does.

Just out of curiosity, why does he deserve a shot soon? He needs to earn his position with this team just like anyone else does.

Sorry didn't make it clear, i mean I think he'll earn a shot soon, as in probably a few games by season end and maybe at least half the season next year. It's a prediction/guess.

My guess is that if anyone gets the boot, it will be Adam. That would be a predictable Sabres move.

If the choice were up to me, I'd sit Boyes. He is, to me, the most expendable by far, and Hecht would be an upgrade.

Neither Cody or Patty should sit as their roles are different and distinct.

I HIGHLY doubt Ruff will sit the center of his most productive line...just saying.

Hecht

I agree, but probably for a different reason. He hasn't made it to the playoffs two years in a row. Let him sit and heal completely. Let the young guys get playing time to figure out what we have in them, see if the additions start to gel, and see who needs to be moved. Then make the decisions and bring him in around January. He'll be in game shape by the playoffs and uninjured.

Of course, injuries will make a lot of these decisions for them.

HockeyBreak Hockey Break

Buffalo Sabres interested in Tuomo Ruutu.

Rumor is were looking at a big body....I have no idea who we would have to give up tho...as the reason hes on the block is cap issues.

says who?

Here's his stats:

2003-04 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 82 23 21 44 58 -- -- -- -- --

2005-06 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 15 2 3 5 31 -- -- -- -- --

2006-07 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 71 17 21 38 95 -- -- -- -- --

2007-08 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 60 6 15 21 75 -- -- -- -- --

2007-08 Carolina Hurricanes NHL 17 4 7 11 16 -- -- -- -- --

2008-09 Carolina Hurricanes NHL 79 26 28 54 79 16 1 3 4 8

2009-10 Carolina Hurricanes NHL 54 14 21 35 50 -- -- -- -- --

2010-11 Carolina Hurricanes NHL 82 19 38 57 54 -- -- -- -- --

2011-12 Carolina Hurricanes NHL 6 1 2 3 4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NHL Totals 466 112 156 268 462 16 1 3 4 8

Pretty consistent player and stats per game played, a big body for sure.

Interesting concept.In the last year of his contract with a 3.8 million cap hit.

Boyes and a pick? I'd consider it.

HockeyBreak Hockey Break

Buffalo Sabres interested in Tuomo Ruutu.

Rumor is were looking at a big body....I have no idea who we would have to give up tho...as the reason hes on the block is cap issues.

So Carolinas internal cap is below the cap floor? He makes 3.8 mil and carolina has 49.9mil in salary they are one of the lowest salaried teams in the NHL. He may be on the "block" but he is not on because of cap issues. But since everyone wants to know what we need to do to get him... prospect and a pick, or salaried player and a pick.

So Carolinas internal cap is below the cap floor? He makes 3.8 mil and carolina has 49.9mil in salary they are one of the lowest salaried teams in the NHL. He may be on the "block" but he is not on because of cap issues. But since everyone wants to know what we need to do to get him... prospect and a pick, or salaried player and a pick.

Our cap issues pretty much dictate a roster player, tho with daddy warbucks he may just waive someone and call it a day.

Archived