With Hecht finally healthy, who will take a seat?

korab rules

Who will be sent to the press box so Hecht can get back in the lineup?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be sent to the press box so Hecht can get back in the lineup?

• Boyes
    • Ennis
    • Leino
    • Roy
    • Adam
    • McCormick
    • Kaleta
    • No one - because no one is playing badly enough to deserve a little time in the press box.

6 months and counting at this point. Any word on whether he is a full out participant in practice? He was supposed to be going through some ramped up physical play in practice to test his readiness. Is that still happening or have they backed off? If he didn't respond well to the physical play we are back to no timetable for his return.

With Ennis out and Hecht not ready is Ellis in or do we have our first call up of the season?

Was he a full participant in camp until his collision with Morrisonnnnnnn? I wasn't paying too much attention, but it seemed like he was. Maybe someone else can answer that one.

As for Ellis, he hasn't played in a single game at any level so far this year. I think they have to throw him in the game over a callup. He needs some game time. It's also a pretty big slap in the face if two guys suddenly are out and he still doesn't go in. That and the additional cap hit from calling someone up makes Ellis the choice.

Was he a full participant in camp until his collision with Morrisonnnnnnn? I wasn't paying too much attention, but it seemed like he was. Maybe someone else can answer that one.

As for Ellis, he hasn't played in a single game at any level so far this year. I think they have to throw him in the game over a callup. He needs some game time. It's also a pretty big slap in the face if two guys suddenly are out and he still doesn't go in. That and the additional cap hit from calling someone up makes Ellis the choice.

It happened so early in camp that I have no idea - did Hecht play a single preseason game? I don't recall it. They only had 2 or 3 practices before the first game.

If Ennis is week to week, IR sounds like an easy decision - he doesn't count against the cap then, right? the cost of a call up would be a wash. Ellis should be thrilled he's making NHL and not AHL money right now. A top six winger just came out of the lineup. I would rather see a top six winger prospect come up and play than Ellis come in and see a 4th liner on a scoring line. I've seen that movie before. It sucks.

Even so, Booth is the only player in that trade that has the potential to be meaningful on an NHL roster. The rest of them are 3rd-4th liners at best.

Actually, I think he's only had one more concussion since the Richards hit. Even so, seeing him interviewed, he just ain't the same person any more. Certainly worth a shot at a new start though.

But if you're trying to dump money like Florida is constantly doing...

Not sure if FL is really trying to dump $$$ any more. In fact, I'd be willing to bet a trade or two in the near future involving some high $$$ players might be in the works. Tallon is bringing in enough vets to keep the team competitive and teach the new guys the game while their prospects are working their way up the ladder.

It happened so early in camp that I have no idea - did Hecht play a single preseason game? I don't recall it. They only had 2 or 3 practices before the first game.

If Ennis is week to week, IR sounds like an easy decision - he doesn't count against the cap then, right? the cost of a call up would be a wash. Ellis should be thrilled he's making NHL and not AHL money right now. A top six winger just came out of the lineup. I would rather see a top six winger prospect come up and play than Ellis come in and see a 4th liner on a scoring line. I've seen that movie before. It sucks.

He'd still count against the cap on IR. He would have to go on long term IR. He'd be expected to miss 10 games or 24 calendar days of play. Even in this case the Sabres would still have him count against the cap, but our cap number would go up by the cap "saved" by him going on LTIR.

FWIW, we are only about 55,000 below the cap.

He'd still count against the cap on IR. He would have to go on long term IR. He'd be expected to miss 10 games or 24 calendar days of play. Even in this case the Sabres would still have him count against the cap, but our cap number would go up by the cap "saved" by him going on LTIR.

FWIW, we are only about 55,000 below the cap.

My question is why hasn't Hecht been on long term IR?

I'm with Korab on this. We lost a top 6 player. I have no desire to see another grinder brought into the lineup to replace him.

It seems likely that Goose moves to 3rd line center and Ellis gets promoted to 4th line. At least until Hecht's noggin gets better. I don't care for those moves but it is what I expect will happen.

Not sure if FL is really trying to dump $$$ any more. In fact, I'd be willing to bet a trade or two in the near future involving some high $$$ players might be in the works. Tallon is bringing in enough vets to keep the team competitive and teach the new guys the game while their prospects are working their way up the ladder.

Reinprecht is being paid $2.175 million this year to play in the minors. Booth has a longterm deal paying him over $4 million each year. They brought in two expiring, relatively cheap contracts. This was a money move. Tallon may have a vision, but he's still working under a mandate from someone higher up to keep the money down.

My question is why hasn't Hecht been on long term IR?

It doesn't really get you anything. LTIR only matters if you plan on adding someone with that money. He would still count against the cap, but they would be allowed to go over it while he is out.

Reinprecht is being paid $2.175 million this year to play in the minors. Booth has a longterm deal paying him over $4 million each year. They brought in two expiring, relatively cheap contracts. This was a money move. Tallon may have a vision, but he's still working under a mandate from someone higher up to keep the money down.

It doesn't really get you anything. LTIR only matters if you plan on adding someone with that money. He would still count against the cap, but they would be allowed to go over it while he is out.

They can't bankroll that extra cap room to use later in the season? It can only be used while the player is on long term IR?

Right, LTIR only gives you a cap cushion to be used while that player is on LTIR. Once he's back, it's gone for good.

Well that's dumb. I was hoping we could bankroll some cap space so we can go over the cap at the trade deadline when we bring in a piece or two to get us over the hump. Ennis doesn't help in that regard because he isn't making squat, but Hecht would give us some real relief.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived